PDA

View Full Version : Louie Simmons working with Crossfit

Morgan McPherson
12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Here is a fun little video of it. He is now their powerlifting cert expert. It would be awesome to go and do 2 days training and learning under him.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_LouieSimmonsIntro.wmv

MarcusWild
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
That's interesting he says he goes to physics professors, calculus professors, and engineers. We have 6 people with engineering or science degrees in our gym.

Travis Bell
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
It was a really good group of people. I must say I was surprised.

I think they had 3 guys pull 455 plus quaded monster minis off pin 2 which I didn't expect

J.C.
12-19-2009, 06:48 AM
And Chris Mason! I just went over to the CF frontpage and he's on it today. Kept that quiet.

Is Rip no longer associated with crossfit? If those in the know don't want to discuss politics, that's fine, I was just wondering.

n00bster
12-19-2009, 07:12 AM
And Chris Mason! I just went over to the CF frontpage and he's on it today. Kept that quiet.

Is Rip no longer associated with crossfit? If those in the know don't want to discuss politics, that's fine, I was just wondering.
There is a trail of information out there, start at the crossfit wikipedia page. I personally don't rate Crossfit, it would do nothing for me. There are people who pay good dosh to attend the seminars and so on and gain "certification". People like Rippetoe and other notable trainers who have departed from crossfit have done so because they don't believe in its management practices and the suitability of its workouts.

Keith
12-19-2009, 07:56 AM

I just came on here to say that! That was cool to see.

For those of you who care, check out this article. It's a good read and briefly explains why Rip left. If Rip left for those reasons, I can't see Louie Simmons sticking out too long. He absolutely should, though. Louie is the best thing that's happened to CrossFit in a long time.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009_10_02_archive.html

n00bster
12-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I just came on here to say that! That was cool to see.

For those of you who care, check out this article. It's a good read and briefly explains why Rip left. If Rip left for those reasons, I can't see Louie Simmons sticking out too long. He absolutely should, though. Louie is the best thing that's happened to CrossFit in a long time.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009_10_02_archive.html

On a matter of principle Louie Simmons (and any one else worth their salt) shouldn't be involved in Crossfit if it is churning half-baked "certified trainers" from people who pay $1000 for a 2 day course. I had never really looked into Crossfit but if this is what is happening then I agree 100% with Mark Rippetoe and others who left.

K.Huget
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
In the video Louie says he trains/trained a UFC heavyweight champion, who did/does he strength train?

Bob
12-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's Chris:
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/LouieKarianneBandSquat_th.jpg
on this CrossFit homepage today: http://www.crossfit.com/

Jeremy Hamilton
12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Word on the street back in the day was that Kevin Randleman trained at Westside.

Maybe Travis could clear that up?

AJ Roberts
12-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I think the UFC fighter Louie is referring to is Mark Coleman

chris mason
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I had a GREAT time!

Louie was quite impressed with the group who visited. They were all quite athletic and some quite strong.

I love the fact they approached Louie and he is now working with them. It will expose Louie's name to a whole new audience, and they will benefit from his incredible training knowledge.

Chris

KarlMarx
12-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Word on the street back in the day was that Kevin Randleman trained at Westside.

Maybe Travis could clear that up?

I have seen pics of him training Rashad Evans in his Book of Methods.

Joe Black
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I enjoyed this video - http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/12/louie-programming.tpl

You need to have a crossfit membership to watch the video...

Travis Bell
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I have seen pics of him training Rashad Evans in his Book of Methods.

lol no that's not rashad evans, although that does appear to look like him.

In the picture you are referring to I'm standing about 4 feet in front of the guy

Morgan McPherson
12-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah Daniel, that video is awesome. I subscribed to the journal a while back for all of the Dave Tate videos, which are awesome. I have been writing a lot in the comments for that video, my name is Morgan McPherson.

Keith
12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I enjoyed this video - http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/12/louie-programming.tpl

You need to have a crossfit membership to watch the video...

That's an awesome video! The $20/year is definitely worth the material you're able to see.

Anthony
12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Chris and Travis, really sorry that Jodi and I couldn't make the trip. It would have been great to train with you both. We plan to make it down sometime in the new year, just gotta work our schedule around nationals.

chris mason
12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I was looking for you! I was really looking forward to meeting you.

Chris

View 1
12-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Question for Chris or Travis.

What exactly is Louie doing with crossfit? I mean is he simply introducing them to different types of power lifting exercises or is cross fit setting up a different template from there standard one?

Joe Black
12-29-2009, 01:36 AM
That's an awesome video! The $20/year is definitely worth the material you're able to see.

The Crossfit content publishing is VERY impressive. If there is anything in my mind for where I would like to take WBB on a content level, it's these guys.

Joe Black
12-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Chris and Travis, really sorry that Jodi and I couldn't make the trip. It would have been great to train with you both. We plan to make it down sometime in the new year, just gotta work our schedule around nationals.

Hey Anthony,

Hope you're well and I will give you a call to catch up soon!

Travis Bell
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Question for Chris or Travis.

What exactly is Louie doing with crossfit? I mean is he simply introducing them to different types of power lifting exercises or is cross fit setting up a different template from there standard one?

Louie is simply teaching them powerlifting

Crossfit often has gyms that are owned by trainers who only train people using CF methods.

However my understanding is that they realized the limitations of the original CF so they began certifications (such as the powerlifting one) where their trainers can come and be taught how to train someone for powerlifting - as an example.

This doesn't mean though that powerlifting is the only way that they train people.

There really isn't one definitive thing anymore that is crossfit, there are many sub categories.

Louie doesn't set up the programs or certs at all. That's all CF. All he did was teach them how we do powerlifting.

I think the misconception initially is that we were beginning to include CF at Westside, which isn't the case, rather we were just sharing our methods with some of the CF folks

View 1
12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Louie is simply teaching them powerlifting

Crossfit often has gyms that are owned by trainers who only train people using CF methods.

However my understanding is that they realized the limitations of the original CF so they began certifications (such as the powerlifting one) where their trainers can come and be taught how to train someone for powerlifting - as an example.

This doesn't mean though that powerlifting is the only way that they train people.

There really isn't one definitive thing anymore that is crossfit, there are many sub categories.

Louie doesn't set up the programs or certs at all. That's all CF. All he did was teach them how we do powerlifting.

I think the misconception initially is that we were beginning to include CF at Westside, which isn't the case, rather we were just sharing our methods with some of the CF folks

Thanks for the reply Travis. I assumed that he was teaching them powerlifting methods like you said but was not sure.

chris mason
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, bottom line, the powers that be at Crossfit are smart enough to realize they can learn from Louie and that is what they are doing. Good stuff!

SecondSucks
12-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have the video of where he goes over and explains the box squat to the crossfit guy?

CleverName
01-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Hey Chris, you might've met Jesse from Local's Gym. He's a really awesome guy and runs a fantastic gym. We're holding a PL meet next week to help get word of the SuperLift out!

Here's another angle with Chris.

chris mason
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey Chris, you might've met Jesse from Local's Gym. He's a really awesome guy and runs a fantastic gym. We're holding a PL meet next week to help get word of the SuperLift out!

Here's another angle with Chris.

I met everyone there, so I am sure I did. I am bad with names. Which one was he?

Great stuff on the seminar!

Chris

Travis Bell
01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I met everyone there, so I am sure I did. I am bad with names. Which one was he?

Great stuff on the seminar!

Chris

The tall guy who had a really good pull

chris mason
01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
The tall guy who had a really good pull

You sure? If so, his dad owns the gym, not him. Both him and his dad were great guys and that kid is an athletic SPECIMEN!

CleverName
01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Hmm, not sure if it's his dad who owns the gym... I don't think so... but yeah he is tall and has black hair, shaved. Was just wondering!

chris mason
01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Hmm, not sure if it's his dad who owns the gym... I don't think so... but yeah he is tall and has black hair, shaved. Was just wondering!

Ahhh, no, what state is he from? I think Travis was recalling incorrectly.

Travis Bell
01-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Ahhh, no, what state is he from? I think Travis was recalling incorrectly.

Pretty sure he's talking about Jesse Ward

Here's a picture from the gym website - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28197&stc=1&d=1262398409

This is the guy with a very good pull that Louie gave a hard time about not pulling more in the 650 range

CleverName
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's the guy. :D Back when he was more into powerlifting his numbers were pretty big. :)

chris mason
01-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Pretty sure he's talking about Jesse Ward

Here's a picture from the gym website - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28197&stc=1&d=1262398409

This is the guy with a very good pull that Louie gave a hard time about not pulling more in the 650 range

Right, yes, I spoke to him quite a bit. Good guy.

Travis, he was not the kid with the great pull. That is who you initially thought it was. That kid's dad was the former Dolphins player. I can't remember his name, but he pulled the 315 plus the quad minis easily after pulling 4 something plus the bands on the rack pull.

jimmy glasco
11-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Here is a fun little video of it. He is now their powerlifting cert expert. It would be awesome to go and do 2 days training and learning under him.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_LouieSimmonsIntro.wmv

I have had the pleasure of being around louie for the past year. i have learned so much about powerlifting and how it helps athletes maximize their potential in performance as well strength. I am a sprint coach and using the "West Side Barbell" system with my athletes. results have been amazing. Louie has continued to dispell the myth that 13yr old and under are too young to lift and it stunts growth. My son is 13 and has been lifting for 1yr. he has deadlifted 335lbs and squated over 320lbs at 175lbs. Stunting growth, he was 5'3 and 156lbs when he started and now he is 5'9 190lbs. Go figure, We ride or die with West Side. Thanks louie...................

chris mason
11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Jimmy, very cool! I am going to post your comments on the CrossFit forum where so many of them are convinced Rippetoe's Starting Strength is good for beginners and Westside is only for the advanced,