PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable lift increases

halfsquat
12-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about how much increase to expect in the powerlifts in about 12-16 weeks.

I know there's a ton of variables to consider (i.e. - experience, weight loss/gain over the cycle, GPP, diet, supplements, training, etc., etc.). Also, I understand that everybody's different and some can make greater gains than others. But I'm just looking for some reasonable estimates. Thanks.

Fuzzy
12-19-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about how much increase to expect in the powerlifts in about 12-16 weeks.

I know there's a ton of variables to consider (i.e. - experience, weight loss/gain over the cycle, GPP, diet, supplements, training, etc., etc.). Also, I understand that everybody's different and some can make greater gains than others. But I'm just looking for some reasonable estimates. Thanks.

20 pounds would be doable.

n00bster
12-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Halfsquat, how has your past training been going on? Do you keep journals or logs of your lifts and progression? Its hard to just say "your bench is 325 right, lets plug it into the Finnish powerlift table and you have a new max of xyz in 6 weeks for the drug free lifter".

If you have been making progress of say x pounds in 12 weeks, try and repeat the same achievement.

halfsquat
12-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I've been keeping decent records since I got back into lifting about last year at this time. But my progress is a little difficult to track. I've been experimenting with Westside style training and don't have a good feel yet on how increases on my ME exercises translate to the competiton lifts. I've probably been using too many different exercises and need to narrow it down to maybe 3 or 4.

I was just looking for estimates on what some others would consider reasonable increases to give myself a target to shoot for in 3-4 months. Thanks for the replies.

ScottYard
12-19-2009, 06:07 PM
5 Lbs per cycle once you get more advanced.

For a relatively new person to the sport, I have trained guys that have hit 20-30 lb prs every few months for a year straight.

joey54
12-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Halfsquat, how has your past training been going on? Do you keep journals or logs of your lifts and progression? Its hard to just say "your bench is 325 right, lets plug it into the Finnish powerlift table and you have a new max of xyz in 6 weeks for the drug free lifter".

If you have been making progress of say x pounds in 12 weeks, try and repeat the same achievement.

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/nyman_prilepin_bench/?regular=320&close=275&type=lbs&submit=Calculate

You are talking about this?

allan3
12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I think that would depend on many things as you have said- I can recall it taking a year or so for my bench to go up 20 lbs once i got up into the heavier weights, and had been lifting for years and years. I have recently seen one of my lifting partners gain around 40 lbs on his bench in about 8 weeks(natural) by adding bands, boards, etc- with no change to his eating habits and no supps whatsoever. He has gone from 275 x 2 to 315 x 2.

ryuage
12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
just depends? hah

Necrias
12-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I plan for a 2-5% increase every 12 weeks, depending on what I am on/taking and how my training is set up, along with whether or not I am prepping for a meet.

As a general rule of thumb, beginner will get 4-5% every 12 weeks, intermediate 3-4%, Advanced 2-3%. If you are on the sauce, add another 1-2%. But of course, this is NOT universal, it is just how I realistically plan my training.

poopoo333
12-21-2009, 08:54 AM
From May 18th-August 15th, I hit a 70 lb PR on my total. Since my October 3rd meet I have put about 115 lbs on my "gym total", even though I know that doesn't count, I still know that all of my lifts have gone up a lot.

drew
12-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Just set reasonable goals for yourself, put together a plan that will lead you to those goals and then go out and bust your ass and achieve. There's no magic formula, it's very simple. Have a goal, have a plan, work hard, rinse, repeat.