PDA

View Full Version : Any Tx Lifters?

RayceeIII
12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Just wondering if any Tx folks read this forum, seems to be thick with New Englanders, and Aussies. I currently train alone in my garage in the NW Houston area and a little at a small commercial gym. Seems like ya cant go 5 miles in Ohio without risking hitting a jaywalking powerlifter, but I don't know many that collect around here.

Ray :newbie:

tomv
12-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Haha thick with Aussies? I reckon at most we currently have 10 active members. This however is slightly off topic.

Fuzzy
12-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Woo, more Aussies!

I am sure there are plenty of Texans here, atleast 20 active members are Texan.

RayceeIII
12-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Haha thick with Aussies? I reckon at most we currently have 10 active members. This however is slightly off topic.

I know but they post alot! :indian:

AdamBAG
12-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I lift at Bad Attitude Gym in Dallas, Texas.

There are definitely powerlifters in Houston and the surrounding area. Tiny Meeker has a group of guys in Humble (I think). Bay Area Power Club is in Houston, but I'm not sure where exactly. I believe Mike and Beverly McDaniel have a crew, maybe in Orange.

Texas has a lot of powerlifters.

kghof
12-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I believe Ryan Bracewell has a gym, The Asylum, in the Kingwood area. The group there would be mostly strongman competitors, but they would have everything a powerlifter would need.

Tom Mutaffis
12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I believe Ryan Bracewell has a gym, The Asylum, in the Kingwood area. The group there would be mostly strongman competitors, but they would have everything a powerlifter would need.

Ryan does stop by here sometimes and from the pictures / videos his gym definitely looks like a place that I would want to train. I have heard of a couple of other good gyms in the Houston area as well.

Shae is another powerlifter from Texas who posts here but I do not think that he is near Houston.

thewicked
12-19-2009, 10:46 AM
DFW here

Beverly McD.
12-21-2009, 06:48 AM

There are definitely powerlifters in Houston and the surrounding area. Tiny Meeker has a group of guys in Humble (I think). Bay Area Power Club is in Houston, but I'm not sure where exactly. I believe Mike and Beverly McDaniel have a crew, maybe in Orange.

Hello RayceeIII. Adam's info is good. Texas has quite a few PL's.

RayceeIII
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was going to lift in Tiny's APF meet in Aug but wasnt able to go. I am hoping they have another one there next year. Besides a few contests we threw when I was over in Bosnia in the army, I have only lifted in one other meet, which was a NASA meet last year. So I am a 33 year old rookie. I think there is a SPF meet up near Dallas in March, so I might try that depending on funds. I wouldnt mind trying some strongman stuff, but I would like to play with some of the implements a little more first. I have a keg and my old army duffle bag filled with sand. Wanna hit up some tractor supply places and get a tire to flip if I can. Again thanks for the replies, and hello from Tomball, TX.

douglasoh5
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
you should check out the bag forum...lots of texas lifters over there...and yes Sean Donegan is putting on that meet...Im pretty sure hes giving away a monolift....not sure if its for best lifter or what not..still kool

UHCougar05
12-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Thanks Adam. :hello:

Raycee, I live on the NW side (610 and 290) and I train at BAPC/Warehouse Gym down in the Clear Lake/League City area. We lift in different federeations (Mostly APF, USAPL, NASA, and NAS)

Here's the address if you're interested: 400 Hobbs Rd in League City, Suite 206. Its in a strip center. Hours are 2pm-10pm Monday - Friday, and 8am-2pm on Saturday. I work in the Galleria and if I leave at 5 on workout days, it takes me about an hour to an hour 15 to get there during the week and about 45 minutes to an hour on weekends.

Dues are $40 a month, no start up fees or anything and the gym owner (Zach) will let you come down a few times for free to see if it's a good fit for you.

AdamBAG
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM
you should check out the bag forum...lots of texas lifters over there...and yes Sean Donegan is putting on that meet...Im pretty sure hes giving away a monolift....not sure if its for best lifter or what not..still kool

Rich, SPF and Nebula are giving away the monolift to the best powerlifter. They will give a bench away to the best bencher. I believe both are contingent on getting 30 entries in each powerlifting and bench-only.

BCorn
12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Porter/conroe area here.

KarlMarx
12-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Mcallen/Rio Grande Valley!

flappysr
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Hello RayceeIII. Adam's info is good. Texas has quite a few PL's.

There are powerlifters Alive and Well in Humble, Tx, just North of Houston, Tx FM1960 and 59 North area. Tiny meeker trains himself and others at his garage "Power Station Gym," and holds WABDL meets at the Humble Civic Center in Humble, TX. The 2010 WABDL meet schedule is posted and Tiny will be hosting 3 meets there in 2010 March 27th, June 19th and Aug. 31st 2010. There will also be a WABDL meet on July 31st, 2010 in Dallas, TX. These are only Bench/Dead Lift meets (No Squats). If you're looking to do full meets there are NASA meets to be held in Alvin, Tx May and July 2010. Also the APA is back strong in Texas and will be hosting some meets in Corpus Christi, Tx and La Marque, Tx in 2010.

I myself train mostly alone in my garage on all the big three (Squat/Bench/Dead Lift) and do assistance work @ a commerical gym along with cardio/sauna room stuff. I compete in the WABDL/NASA/APF and will try and maybe do an APA meet again. Did APA before they left the Houston, TX area some years ago. :hello:

ZenMonkey
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Im in Dallas. I train at SMU or UT Dallas and Crossfit in Plano when I need to meet with my coach.

LocAss24
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Im in Dallas. I train at SMU or UT Dallas and Crossfit in Plano when I need to meet with my coach.
Sweet, I go to school at UTD! Every time I go in, there's always a bunch of kids doing weird stuffs.

TXslapshot
12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
I train in San Marcos, Texas. I jump between my apartments gym and Texas Health and Racquet Club. Not to many power lifters in my area, more college kids going for the big biceps. As you can see I train for hockey. Texas Represent!

mattdunkin
12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Right here in Tomball for the past 3 months-been out of the gym and platform for a few months but starting training for my next meet after the 1st.You got mail.

ironheadPL
12-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Costa's Gym on Jones Rd in NW Houston is where me and a few other powerlifters train. It's nothing fancy but gets the job done. Also it's Powerlifter friendly.

UHCougar05
12-30-2009, 08:24 AM
There are powerlifters Alive and Well in Humble, Tx, just North of Houston, Tx FM1960 and 59 North area. Tiny meeker trains himself and others at his garage "Power Station Gym," and holds WABDL meets at the Humble Civic Center in Humble, TX. The 2010 WABDL meet schedule is posted and Tiny will be hosting 3 meets there in 2010 March 27th, June 19th and Aug. 31st 2010. There will also be a WABDL meet on July 31st, 2010 in Dallas, TX. These are only Bench/Dead Lift meets (No Squats). If you're looking to do full meets there are NASA meets to be held in Alvin, Tx May and July 2010. Also the APA is back strong in Texas and will be hosting some meets in Corpus Christi, Tx and La Marque, Tx in 2010.

I myself train mostly alone in my garage on all the big three (Squat/Bench/Dead Lift) and do assistance work @ a commerical gym along with cardio/sauna room stuff. I compete in the WABDL/NASA/APF and will try and maybe do an APA meet again. Did APA before they left the Houston, TX area some years ago. :hello:
Is Tiny not doing an APF meet this year? I know he did one last year.

Ron C
12-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm on the NW side of town 290@Barker Cypress. Got everything a PL would ever need. Always looking for a good fit to the team.http://www.lonestarbarbell.com

RayceeIII
12-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Cool, love all the feedback guys, right now have to wait until the new year gets started to see what I can do. I work at Mancusos on 290 and we are hurting. The shop is actually closed this week. We already have had 2 techs laid off and 1 on extended leave, and Jan and Feb are slow months for us in normal times. So my garage is gonna keep working for me for now. It gets the job done since I am raw, but I know having a group of actual lifters would help me tons. Its still cool to see all the replies. Matt I tried to pm ya back but I have not posted enough to be able to. I thought the powerlifting group took all their equipment out of Costa's? Had a buddy that worked there for a whole day and was telling me about the powerlifting room so I went to check it out and the room was empty. He said they owned the mono and other gear and took it with them. Dunno, my buddy is usally full of #### and that was a couple years ago. Anyway any betting people? Five 8-7 teams and two wildcard slots, Houston has to beat the Patriots and the four other teams have to play teams that have already clenched or just plain suck. I like our chances :P

ironheadPL
12-31-2009, 05:59 AM
RayceeIII
At Costa's we have a competition bench press with a liftoff platform, adjustable uprights and the material on the bench is the kind where you don't slide any. We hav a nice power rack now and still have an old squat rack. We have an area for deadlifts also, and a couple of powerbars. Glute ham raise, chains, grappler, kettlebells etc. It's all in the back of the gym now, used to be in the big room they use for karate. Come check it out. Brian