PDA

View Full Version : Quad mini rack pull from knees.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I did some quad mini pulls and ended up with 325 x2 plus bands 250.
Love this exercise.
Was only my second real deadlift session in a long time so I left a little in the tank.

What have you guys done? I'm sure some of you have done some crazy numbers and I would love to hear about it.

Thank you very much.

Travis Bell
12-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Doing rack pulls from the knee isn't going to give you a ton of carryover to your full range pull.

It's better to do them from about mid to lower half shin

NickAus
12-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Doing rack pulls from the knee isn't going to give you a ton of carryover to your full range pull.

It's better to do them from about mid to lower half shin

Thanks for your input but not sure what you mean, I did quad mini rack pulls from the knees-it is for the top of the deadlift and builds great back and grip strength.

I was not trying to use this exercise to build strength off the floor..........

Pete22
12-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Nothing crazy here, but the only time I tried roughly that setup I got 405 + quad minis and 55lbs of chain for a single, about 4" below my knees.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Nothing crazy here, but the only time I tried roughly that setup I got 405 + quad minis and 55lbs of chain for a single, about 4" below my knees.

NICE, gives me something to shoot for.

OGROK
12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with Travis I think if you want the rack pull to actually carryover to your deadlift it's better to start below your knees... I could probably load up 595 or something above my knees but it wouldn't help me deadlift more. Course it would be a good upper back/trap exercise I guess.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
What have you guys done? I'm sure some of you have done some crazy numbers and I would love to hear about it.

Thank you very much.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree with Travis I think if you want the rack pull to actually carryover to your deadlift it's better to start below your knees... I could probably load up 595 or something above my knees but it wouldn't help me deadlift more. Course it would be a good upper back/trap exercise I guess.

What are you talikng about?

I did not ask if quad rack pulls would build my pull from the floor.

I wanted to do something and I did it.

douglasoh5
12-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I dont agree with travis...High rack pulls help the deadlift alot...this is almost like saying a 4 board wont help your bench

Cmanuel
12-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I dont agree with travis...High rack pulls help the deadlift alot...this is almost like saying a 4 board wont help your bench

Agree here... My deadlift usually stalls at the very last few inches of the deadlift. Hence high rack pulls might be a more appropriate assistance exercise than below the knee.

I'm not saying below the knee rack pulls do not help your lockout, they most certainly do, but when your lockout stalls at the very last couple of inches of the pulll, then maybe high rack pulls are more appropriate.

C-Sobrino
12-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I think what Travis means, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is that rack pulls at the knees or above will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns when you're going to be able to rack pull 850 pounds but not deadlift 700 from the floor and so forth. On the other hand other people swear by them so if it works great.

In the end, what matters is: Great job Nick! Strong back!

NickAus
12-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Apart from the fact they build back strength etc I did them because I asked an 880 deadlifter what he did to get his back strong and he told me "pulls from the floor and rack pulls from the knees".
I will be doing both!

Lones Green
12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Travis means more along the lines of the higher rack pulls are very different than deadlifts, the leverages change.

I did quad monster mini's from Pin 2 when I was at Westside and worked up to 365 and couldn't lock it all the way out. Smoked 315 though

NickAus
12-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Travis means more along the lines of the higher rack pulls are very different than deadlifts, the leverages change.

I did quad monster mini's from Pin 2 when I was at Westside and worked up to 365 and couldn't lock it all the way out. Smoked 315 though

Thanks, I did pin 2 as well and the bar was in the middle of my knee caps.

Yes the leverage change of course, not sure how we got on that topic though......oh well.

Travis Bell
12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I think what Travis means, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is that rack pulls at the knees or above will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns when you're going to be able to rack pull 850 pounds but not deadlift 700 from the floor and so forth. On the other hand other people swear by them so if it works great.

In the end, what matters is: Great job Nick! Strong back!

Yep, agree with both of you.

Thanks, I did pin 2 as well and the bar was in the middle of my knee caps.

Yes the leverage change of course, not sure how we got on that topic though......oh well.

Either your rack has a pretty big gap between pin holes and the holes start 12" off the ground, or you are really short

Pin 2 on a Westside rack is right about the middle of the shin.

If you don't care if something carries over to your pull from the floor I guess it's really not a big deal.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I am sure with your years training you have seen racks other than the ones at westside?

Where did I question the exercise?

Travis Bell
12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
I am sure with your years training you have seen racks other than the ones at westside?

Where did I question the exercise?

LOL yes I have, that's why I said the holes probably start about 12" off the floor and most racks have 2-3" spacing between the holes

Only reason it's called a Westside rack is because one of the things that Louie designed it with was 1" spacing between the holes and the holes go all the way to the bottom of the rack

I was just clarifying that when Lones said he'd done pin 2 at Westside, it was just a tad lower than mid shin.

As for where you questioned the exercise, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 08:06 PM
You are carrying on about it like I chose some worthless exercise.
I did not even ask if it would build my pulls from the floor.
And once again I was told to do them by an 880 deadlifter.

Travis Bell
12-20-2009, 08:08 PM
You are carrying on about it like I chose some worthless exercise.
I did not even ask if it would build my pulls from the floor.
And once again I was told to do them by an 880 deadlifter.

LOL take a deep breath kid. If you don't like the advice here, don't post the thread to begin with. Simple as that.

My mistake. You're right. I assumed that you did the pulls so that you could deadlift more. Most people do them for that reason. I was simply attempting to help you get more for your efforts, but you are certainly free to continue as you wish. Congrats on having it all figured out

jbrin0tk
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
LOL take a deep breath kid. If you don't like the advice here, don't post the thread to begin with. Simple as that.

My mistake. You're right. I assumed that you did the pulls so that you could deadlift more. Most people do them for that reason. I was simply attempting to help you get more for your efforts, but you are certainly free to continue as you wish. Congrats on having it all figured out

LOL.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Kid?

Are you serious, did you read my original post?

I wanted to know about other peoples numbers.

Are you saying pulls from the knee will not help my deadlift?

NickAus
12-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I posted my numbers and wanted to know other peoples.

Travis when you post your numbers I say positive things like well done 770 is huge I do not say to hit 800 maybe you need to spend more time in your shirt to get more out of it which makes sense to me.

I am 29 years old can figure out that rack pulls against bands will build the top of the deadlift not the bottom.

Do you see my point?

joey54
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
So your post was made to see where you stand in regards to other people doing high rack pulls?

barbell01
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
things are getting out of control around here, i know we all have high T levels and its the holidays but come on........LOL

NickAus
12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
So your post was made to see where you stand in regards to other people doing high rack pulls?

Please just read the original post.

I loved the exercise and want to know what others have done on it.

douglasoh5
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Nick you should totally listen to Travis since he BENCHES at westside..haha

NickAus
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Nick you should totally listen to Travis since he BENCHES at westside..haha

Funny thing is after the rack pulls I pulled from the floor standing on a 3" mat then did some light fast sumos from the floor.
During the week I do leg presses and heavy abs which will all help me off the floor lol.

I did not list this because it was not the point.

douglasoh5
12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
The point was you tried a new exericse and was wondering if others on the forum have done it before and were wondering what there numbers were....NOT whether its an effective exersice, which it is a very effective for building a deadlift.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 09:50 PM
The point was you tried a new exericse and was wondering if others on the forum have done it before and were wondering what there numbers were....NOT whether its an effective exersice, which it is a very effective for building a deadlift.

Yep that's it, and I got it from a guy with a WR deadlift.

isaku900
12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I never pull from the knees (rack or block).

Generally it allows you to pull much more than 10% over your full ROM deadlift and passes the point of diminishing returns.

sayagain
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I read an article once on the Westside website which Louie talks about experimenting with high rack pulls with a ton of weight and how he didn't see much of a carryover to the competition deadlift. But he mentioned Chuck Vogelpohl doing these with weights significantly over his max deadlift and when asked his reasoning, Chuck said that it taught him to strain. Louie kind of left it at do what works for you, whatever that may be. He didn't see the carryover, but Chuck found them useful.

I don't think Travis was trying to argue with you. I think he was merely trying to suggest that maybe these wouldn't have the carryover that you might be looking for. As we have all seen, there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to getting strong. Different things work for different people. Try it for a while and see if it works for you.

NickAus
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Chuck does have the best pull at Westside of 835.

I am going to repeat this I was told to do them by a 880 deadlifter.

Douglas pulls 750@258 which is big.

Once again I will be doing these as well as pulls from the floor and from standing on mats.

Travis Bell
12-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Chuck does have the best pull at Westside of 835.

Really?

I could swear that Matt Smith did at 850, but what do I know lol

This thread cracks me up. Nick I have no idea why you insist on taking this stuff so personally. As I said, I misunderstood the point behind what you wanted to create this thread for

NickAus
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Really?

I could swear that Matt Smith did at 850, but what do I know lol

This thread cracks me up. Nick I have no idea why you insist on taking this stuff so personally. As I said, I misunderstood the point behind what you wanted to create this thread for

Fair enough on the web site which I looked at a few days ago it lists Chucks as the best (must be by formula).

No problem Travis.

I did write my post pretty clearly I thought.

Zak Freiwald
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I tried quaded-mini rack pulls yesterday for the first time as well. Got the idea from talking to Louie Simmons at a meet a couple weeks back. The tension was pretty damn stout. I pulled from the knee cap and quit at 625 for a few singles. I doubt I could have got 700 and I'm good for mid-800s usually on the last 6 inches or so of a pull. I was very surprised at how tough it made breaking the bar off the pins. Cool stuff- I'll have to try these from a lower pin on DL day some time. I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder how much tension is on quadded minis 36-40 inches up. You have got to be a bad dude to be doing floor presses against those.

NickAus
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
I tried quaded-mini rack pulls yesterday for the first time as well. Got the idea from talking to Louie Simmons at a meet a couple weeks back. The tension was pretty damn stout. I pulled from the knee cap and quit at 625 for a few singles. I doubt I could have got 700 and I'm good for mid-800s usually on the last 6 inches or so of a pull. I was very surprised at how tough it made breaking the bar off the pins. Cool stuff- I'll have to try these from a lower pin on DL day some time. I know it doesn't really matter, but I wonder how much tension is on quadded minis 36-40 inches up. You have got to be a bad dude to be doing floor presses against those.

Excellent work!

I found the tension for me was around 250 maybe 260 (needed 130+ each side to hold em down)
Tension would be a lot more if bands went under rack of course.

I really liked it for teaching myself to grind out the lift and was also pretty hard on the grip doing doubles.

Yeah I did find it was harder than I thought off the pins too lol.

I will try to hit 405 for a single in a few weeks.........

UHCougar05
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
My best rack pull vs. quad minis is 455 from pin 2 on our rack. Our minis are old, so I only get ~190 from the bands at lockout.