PDA

View Full Version : Using dumbbells

Darracq
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
My shoulders have about had enough of benching with a bar,Anyone have any ideas for using dumbbells,Anyone ever do DC. I know get my sholders fixed, not happening anytime soon lol. I dont compete but like to train like powerlifters and just want to get stronger for some sports i do. I could bench in my shirt but i just cant get back into it. And i need raw strength.

BloodandThunder
12-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I would take corrective steps such as including a better upper body warmup and prehab protocols. Knowing your body and listening to it is important for longevity, so throwing in some things like floor presses and board presses can help put a barbell in your hands without killing your shoulders. Just don't overdo it. Perhaps you should look into tucking your descent a little more to cut down on the rotation your shoulders are doing. Proper stretching after workouts can make a difference in ROM and performance. But doing things like scapular work, traction work, YTWL's, face pulls, etc can help alleviate some issues.

MarcusWild
12-21-2009, 02:24 PM
You're not going to be much good at other sports with banged up shoulders. You need to get them healthy first before you have a major injury.

Darracq
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks, i have been mostly board pressing to limit the rom, floor press fells likes its all shoulders i hate it. I tuck my elbow quit a bit, and use good form i have been lifting for a long time., my shoulder feels loose. I am 43. My shoulder dont bother me at all untill i get some heavy weight on the bar and dumbbells dont bother me at all. I do H rolls, and rc exercises, What can i do for a loose shoulder?

MarcusWild
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
What do you mean a loose shoulder? Have you seen a DR for it?

Darracq
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
What do you mean a loose shoulder? Have you seen a DR for it?

I can feel the bone more around in there sometimes, my ac joints are all crunchy and crap, just feels loose in there. Havent seen a Dr i dont have insurance. My bench really hasnt moved in a couple years so i might as well give it up. When i use my shirt i dont seem to have any problems

h.t.hall
12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I can feel the bone more around in there sometimes, my ac joints are all crunchy and crap, just feels loose in there. Havent seen a Dr i dont have insurance. My bench really hasnt moved in a couple years so i might as well give it up. When i use my shirt i dont seem to have any problems

I believe dumbbells could make things even worse,they work the stabilizing shoulder muscles even harder.Why don't you add some rotator cuff exercises to strengthen and stabilize all the surrounding tissue and work with higher reps for a bit until you feel better ?
And you may not have insurance but try to have even a single x-ray to see if there are any fructures, loose bone bits or spurs so that you can do something about it ? Today you may not be able to bench,in some time it could get so much worse you might not be able to function properly in everyday life activities.

JJ33
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
This has helped me with my shoulders.On bench day i perform atleast 5 sets of db on a flat bench pyramiding up in weight before i even think about touching a bar.For along time 4 years i could only do smith machine benchs.If you use a smith machine you will not be able to free weight the same weight so becareful when your shoulder heals up and you go back to the free weights.

Darracq
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I believe dumbbells could make things even worse,they work the stabilizing shoulder muscles even harder.Why don't you add some rotator cuff exercises to strengthen and stabilize all the surrounding tissue and work with higher reps for a bit until you feel better ?
And you may not have insurance but try to have even a single x-ray to see if there are any fructures, loose bone bits or spurs so that you can do something about it ? Today you may not be able to bench,in some time it could get so much worse you might not be able to function properly in everyday life activities.

Ok thanks,

HICK
12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Atlarge Nutrition has videos of George Halbert doing some H-Rows that might benefit u . Its supposed to be a good maintenance exercise and rehabilitation exercise . Sorry George if I spelled your last name wrong.

Darracq
12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Atlarge Nutrition has videos of George Halbert doing some H-Rows that might benefit u . Its supposed to be a good maintenance exercise and rehabilitation exercise . Sorry George if I spelled your last name wrong.

I do them once in awhile, i am going to start paying for att to my rotator cuff, but not sure if thats really to problem but it cant hurt.

robchris
12-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Darracq,
In addition to H-rolls, face-pulls and the other aforementioned exercises, try band pull-aparts... I use a m.mini band after my ME bench day and they really seem to help keep my rotator's healthly!

slashkills
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
i really like band dislocates and band pull-aparts. I had a partial rotator tear in july and my shoulders feel great now that im doing those two things.

Brian C
12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
i really like band dislocates and band pull-aparts. I had a partial rotator tear in july and my shoulders feel great now that im doing those two things.

These. Im old too(:hello:) and both of these exercises really help my shoulders get loosened up for benching. Also I do them almost every day just as prehab and have been feeling pretty good since doing them.

jbrin0tk
12-22-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm with Brian and Slash on this. I screwed up my shoulder two summers ago to the point where I thought I wouldn't be benching for a long time, and may need surgery. I put a jump stretch mini band in my tv/lounge room and did a set of 10 of both of those exercises every time I saw that band. My shoulders have felt great ever since.

Darracq
12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm with Brian and Slash on this. I screwed up my shoulder two summers ago to the point where I thought I wouldn't be benching for a long time, and may need surgery. I put a jump stretch mini band in my tv/lounge room and did a set of 10 of both of those exercises every time I saw that band. My shoulders have felt great ever since.

Cool so every day is not to much to do them? How ofter should i do other rotator cuff stuff.

jbrin0tk
12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Cool so every day is not to much to do them? How ofter should i do other rotator cuff stuff.

I'm no expert or anything, so I don't wanna give recommendations on how much to do other rotator cuff exercises, but I did the band dislocates and band pull aparts all the time. Still do. Like I said, every time I see that band. I may do 60 one day, then I may do 20 another day. I just try to make sure I fit some in every day. I really feel like they help.

BloodandThunder
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Look up the Diesel Crew (Smith on elitefts.com) and his shoulder protocols. Good stuff and worth your time.

Darracq
12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Look up the Diesel Crew (Smith on elitefts.com) and his shoulder protocols. Good stuff and worth your time.

Thanks, i have seen them but i am going to look over them again.

n00bster
12-23-2009, 05:08 AM
To the OP - seek professional help. People here cannot diagnose over the internet what type of problem you have and the proper corrective action (some people have got problems from behind the neck shoulder exercises that require surgery). Not all shoulder injuries are the same, you could have a torn rotator cuff or inflammation or tears of the tendons.

E.g the group of tendons that stabilise the shoulder joint are listed below :-
1. The subscapularis muscle, which moves the arm by turning it inward (internal rotation);
2. The supraspinatus muscle, which is responsible for elevating the arm and moving it away from the body;
3. The infraspinatus muscle, which assists the lifting of the arm during turning the arm outward (external rotation);
4.The teres minor muscle, which (like the infraspinatus) helps in the outward turning (external rotation) of the arm

After your professional diagnoses the problem, they should be able to tell you what you can and can't do. Dumbbells do have their merits and people whose shoulders roll forward during benching and experience pain, have been known not to feel any pain with dumbbells. However not knowing what type of shoulder injury you have, I would not jump in and say "do dumbbell pressing" or "do shoulder dislocations" for the aforementioned reasons.

Thanks,
n00bster.