PDA

View Full Version : Who were your favorite old school lifters???

Cmanuel
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Just wondering who inspired you when you were younger. I was browsing 70sbig and came across a couple videos and photos of some older lifters from the 70s, lifters like Doug Young. Made me realize that there were a lot of damn big strong men back then (there still are today), and was just wondering if anyone from the 70s and 80s inspired you?

So, who are your favorite old school lifters? (pre 90s)

NickAus
12-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Jim Cash, Larry Pacifico, Fred Hatfield, Ed Coan, Mike Macdonald, Doyle Kennedy, Rick Weil.........lots more.

Like Rugby League in Australia and Boxing across the world I loved the 80s!!

sayagain
12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Dave Waddington because he's from my hometown. I always thought it was cool that the first guy to squat 1000 lbs. lived in my hometown.

BFGUITAR
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Thor. I bet he did his squats and ate his vegetables!

http://www.comicbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/thor7var.jpg

Rob Luyando
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Ryan Kennelly, Ed Coan, Ken Lain.

You are probably questioning about Ryan. He has been around as long as I have been following the sport.

Ermantroudt
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Waddington and Kaz

Auburn
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Pisarenko, Zane, Karwoski, Kaz

BloodandThunder
12-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Got to see Greg Beetle Lowe lift at a prison meet a few years back, even in his 50's I believe, still incredibly strong

george okunev
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Big Kaz. also another guy that is not realy a power lifter but still one of the strongest guys who ever lived. A Russian by the name of Valentin Dikul. He runs a clinic for people with back injuries. There is a video of him on youtube doing 990 squat 573 bench and 1003 deadlift. All raw, no spotters. I know that andy b is the only one to do 1000+ deadlift. I have heard some write ups saying the plates were fake, blah blah blah. I dont know. All I know is the guy broke his bake as a teen and came back stronger then any one thought possible.

BqxEfB5-Lv8

See what you think.

gopostal42
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
certainly coan, bridges, john cole (weightlifting and powerlifting), ken patera, alexeev, serge redding, Jon Pall Sigmarsson, anello

Athos
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I like the topic... so many, some that come to mind: Anderson, Anello, Pacifico, Ware, Bridges, Gant, Casey, Cole, Kaz.

Cmanuel
12-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Damn, there are so any that have been listed who I'm not familiar with... Time to go look them up and see why they are so legendary!

douglasoh5
12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
huge fan of lee morans squating after seeing thats power unlimited...larry pacifico was a bad ass plus i lifted in a few meets his son did...crazy strong dude...think he did a 500 raw squat in the 8th grade at like 185....louie is a badass even thoughts he did most of his damage within the past 10-15 years hes still old

barbell01
12-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Kirk

IronDiggy
12-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I only learned about the sport about a year ago... and it's thanks to a few other Canadian lifters that really got me interested in the sport.

Pete22
12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Kaz and Coan.

drmobley
12-22-2009, 06:48 AM
john Kuc, Lamar Gant, Kaz, Pacifico, Ed Coan. i remember reading about them when I first started lifting. True legends. It's nice every so often to look back at some of the earlier lifters and remember that time and not always be so stuck in the immediate moment. Can you picture 20 years from now when people look back at the crazy strong powerlifters now. Im sure more than several of our board posters will be considered legends 10-20 years from now. Congratulations to everyone that can stay in a sport for most of their life.

theBarzeen
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Kirk, Coan, and Kaz.........

Jeremy Hamilton
12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Big Kaz. also another guy that is not realy a power lifter but still one of the strongest guys who ever lived. A Russian by the name of Valentin Dikul. He runs a clinic for people with back injuries. There is a video of him on youtube doing 990 squat 573 bench and 1003 deadlift. All raw, no spotters. I know that andy b is the only one to do 1000+ deadlift. I have heard some write ups saying the plates were fake, blah blah blah. I dont know. All I know is the guy broke his bake as a teen and came back stronger then any one thought possible.

BqxEfB5-Lv8

See what you think.

Wow! The biggest raw total ever and it was all done on a flimsy thin bar.

Fuzzy
12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Wow! The biggest raw total ever and it was all done on a flimsy thin bar.

I was going to say. I make a bar flex more than that with 500 pounds, not 1000. Complete bull****.

ScottYard
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Kenny Patterson and Bill Crawford. I remember watching old West side vids and trying to figure out how i could get my forearms as big as Kennys.........I still havent figured it out lol

JSully
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I was going to say. I make a bar flex more than that with 500 pounds, not 1000. Complete bull****.

why is that so unbelievable? there are many different bars out there.. this may look like a flimsy bar but could be a f-ing strong bar..

here's andy bolton's 1000+ pull and the bar has just a minor bend ..
http://www.andyboltonstrength.com/training-articles/articles/Images/Lockout.jpeg

Now, I'm not saying Valentin Dukul is legit, but ****, it looked like a grip of weight and at this time we have no proof to discredit him. If you want to spend a bunch of time on google trying to prove this is all fake, then go right ahead.

All I'm saying is just because a bar is chromed out, doesn't mean it isn't a strong bar. I've squatted 5 bills on different bars and they have different bends to them. One was bent incredibly, probably dropping the weight 4-5", another bent barely at all..

Guido
12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Kaz, Bob Peoples, Paul Anderson, Pat Casey, Mike Bridges, Jon Kuc, OD Wilson, Gus Rethwisch, Pacifico, Anello, Vasily Alexeyev, Tommy Kono, Franco Columbu, Odd Haugen, Jon Pall Sigmarsson. Those are ones that come to mind.

JSully
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the question.

Truthfully, I started out interested in bodybuilding. Arnold Swarzenegger, Franco Columbu, Frank Zane, Dorian Yates, Flex Wheeler, etc..

I actually think Chris Mason was the first one to suggest (in person) that I get into powerlifting. Even then I mistakenly blew him off as I wanted to be a bodybuilder.. I should have started powerlifting when I was 22.. I would have some incredile #s now. I was always more strength dominant than lower bodyfat, just naturally I suppose. Now that I've gotten more into powerlifting, I love watching all strength athletes perfom. Ed Coan, Andy Bolton, Konstantin Konstantinov, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Derek Poundstone and the list goes on. I find it amazing people that squat 600+ raw for reps and deadlifting 700+.. Just fascinating.. I could spend all day on youtube just by typing in "600+ squat, 700+ deadlift and 500+ bench"..

Tom Mutaffis
12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
The most valuable resource that I found early on was a site called Iron Magazine Online which was run by Joachim Bartoll. I remember closely following his training log, and that was also where Chris Thibaudeau got his start.

Another athlete who I followed at the time was Skip La Cour.

All of these individuals provided good information on training, diet, and supplementation. Joachim and Skip both had aesthetic/muscular physiques but were also quite strong. This was exactly what I was looking for because I not only wanted to be big but I wanted to look good and be able to lift heavy weights.

muscle_g
12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Lifters(these are all I can think of at the moment but there are many more)
Paul Anderson
Bill Kazmier
Ed Coan
Jim Williams
Anthony Clark
Dave Watrerman
Roger Estep
Fred Hatfield
Mike Miller

Bodybuilders(yes big bodybuilding fan also)
Arnold
Franco Columbo
Lou Ferrigno
Serge Nubret
Mike Mentzer
Ken Waller
Ed Corney
Dave Draper
and many more from the 70's era

Travis Bell
12-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Louie Simmons

UHCougar05
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Kaz
Coan
Doyle Kenady
Lee Moran
John Kuc
Louie
Matt Dimel
JPS
Anthony Clark
Paul Springer
Don Reindhout

NickAus
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Kaz, Bob Peoples, Paul Anderson, Pat Casey, Mike Bridges, Jon Kuc, OD Wilson, Gus Rethwisch, Pacifico, Anello, Vasily Alexeyev, Tommy Kono, Franco Columbu, Odd Haugen, Jon Pall Sigmarsson. Those are ones that come to mind.

How did I forget Bob peoples? **** he had a strong back!

robchris
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Kazmier...WSM, Kuc...Best DL, Coan... Full power, multi-weight class legend, Clark... Rev. bench was awesome! J.Williams... was an awesome BP'er way back in the day!
RC

h.t.hall
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Reinhoudt and Passanella...

waynedang
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Clark, Bridges and Coan.

How about Roger Ryan he is really old!!!

mastermonster
12-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Bill Kazmier, Doug Young, Ed Coan, Ernie Frantz, Mike Bridges and Joe Hood.

Ryano
12-24-2009, 06:07 AM
How about Roger Ryan he is really old!!!

I might be old, but I didn't do well in school. lol

Rugby Dad
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
is there some video out there of Estep? couldn't find nothing on Youtube.