PDA

View Full Version : Grip... hard.

Fuzzy
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Just had one of those sessions when you alter your technique, turn your elbows in slightly, realise a few things, and suddenly the backwards rut of no progress you have been in for 10 week is broken.

I had been in such a position, and after a few snatches coach walks up to me and says 'grip the bar so hard your hand goes numb.' I was a bit perplexed at first, I mean I was gripping the bar?

Anywho, I set up, but instead of just gripping the bar, I spent a good 10 seconds REALLY gripping the bar, digging the knurling into my hands, and then crushing my thumb on and squeezing. I set my back, filled up, and then magic happened.

It all made sense, 150 pounds flew up so fast I felt my shoulders wanting to leave their sockets.

The same thing worked for cleans, jerks, and pressing. I did some bench press after just to see, and the same thing, not just gripping the bar but crushing it gives you unbeleivable power.

Just my little revalation for that day, Im so damn pumped for my next session today, I want to try this out on some bigger weights.

robchris
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
You are correct bro... I really makes a huge difference! I learned this when I first started PL'ing...

If you grip the bar hard enough, it's almost as if you dont even feel the bar!
RC

BFGUITAR
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeh ive noticed this as well. Now that you mention it, I haven't been gripping hard enough. Ive got to start taking lessons from my gf.

Fuzzy
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeh ive noticed this as well. Now that you mention it, I haven't been gripping hard enough. Ive got to start taking lessons from my gf.

It worries me that you have to grip her.

robchris
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
It worries me that you have to grip her.

LMAO... Now thats funny!

Judas
12-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Thats interesting Fuzzy, as a lot ov coaches will tell you NOT to grip so hard. Especially newer lifters. They get so god damn stiff and tense from over-gripping that the arms dont move/whip as fluidly as they should. Does your coach tell others to do this as well? or were you just gripping a bit too loose?

My one glaring weakness in weightlifting is grip. I have small hands and less than great shoulder flexibility, so i'm hands against collars for snatch. That makes the hook so tenuous its not funny. I've got enough power to crank some serious weights, but the grip is very limited. My cleans are even grip-limited. I cant even do clean pulls without straps. I'm not terribly concerned about it at the moment, as i'm training snatch with straps till my form is down, but sooner or later i'm gonna have to address this.

I think lifters with bigger hands have a serious advantage in weightlifting. Just like in deadlifting... when you've got that grip absolutely locked (i can hold near 1000lbs with my mixed grip), then you can apply crazy power to that bar. When its sketchy you end up limiting power. I think if i ever want to snatch some serious weight (150kg or more) then i'm gonna have to do some SERIOUS flexibility work and bring my grip in a full hand width. The hook is considerably stronger even two fingers closer per side...

Fuzzy
12-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Thats interesting Fuzzy, as a lot ov coaches will tell you NOT to grip so hard. Especially newer lifters. They get so god damn stiff and tense from over-gripping that the arms dont move/whip as fluidly as they should. Does your coach tell others to do this as well? or were you just gripping a bit too loose?

My one glaring weakness in weightlifting is grip. I have small hands and less than great shoulder flexibility, so i'm hands against collars for snatch. That makes the hook so tenuous its not funny. I've got enough power to crank some serious weights, but the grip is very limited. My cleans are even grip-limited. I cant even do clean pulls without straps. I'm not terribly concerned about it at the moment, as i'm training snatch with straps till my form is down, but sooner or later i'm gonna have to address this.

I think lifters with bigger hands have a serious advantage in weightlifting. Just like in deadlifting... when you've got that grip absolutely locked (i can hold near 1000lbs with my mixed grip), then you can apply crazy power to that bar. When its sketchy you end up limiting power. I think if i ever want to snatch some serious weight (150kg or more) then i'm gonna have to do some SERIOUS flexibility work and bring my grip in a full hand width. The hook is considerably stronger even two fingers closer per side...

I was a bit of a special case, I have some severe nerve damage in both my wrists and being relatively strong I got away with a slack grip for quite some time. I too was lifting collar to collar, but i moved it to midaway between the ring.

I get a gut feeling you are loosening grip with the pinkies and ring fingers, which was a huge problem for me, even though you use a kook grip (atleast I hope you do!) make sure that the outer two fingers are clamped down, you may also want to consider moving the grip in as the lessening of the angle helps immensely. The other thing is REALLY imbedding the bar in between the finger and the thumb.

As for keeping the arms relaxed... it takes experience to be able to flex one thing and not activate the other. I have had no problem keeping the arms loose with the much tighter grip.

I think most people have a natural affinity to the grip, I was doing some weird **** which was causing my lifts to go awry in the extreme. It took a while for coach to realise it was coming from the grip and wrists, rather than the rest of the body.

The bar should stay in the palms until after the second pull is completely finished, I was making the mistake of letting it hang in my fingers.

Judas
12-22-2009, 06:19 AM
I was a bit of a special case, I have some severe nerve damage in both my wrists and being relatively strong I got away with a slack grip for quite some time. I too was lifting collar to collar, but i moved it to midaway between the ring.

I get a gut feeling you are loosening grip with the pinkies and ring fingers, which was a huge problem for me, even though you use a kook grip (atleast I hope you do!) make sure that the outer two fingers are clamped down, you may also want to consider moving the grip in as the lessening of the angle helps immensely. The other thing is REALLY imbedding the bar in between the finger and the thumb.

I'd love to be able to move my grip in, but even one finger width is too tight. I need to stretch a good 20-60 minutes with that broomstick before i can even do a full snatch. There isn't much room for even 1" less width at my current level ov flexibility. I'm working on it, and its coming very slowly. Doing heavy bench volume every 4 days probably isn't helping terribly...

At the moment i just need to do 1000's and 1000's ov snatch reps, usually in form ov triples, so i use straps. The better my snatch gets the further away i am from holding onto my 1RM, but like i said, i'm not worried... yet. When i do start really working that grip, it'll come quickly. Always does.

Heh... i hope... . . .

Fuzzy
12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I'd love to be able to move my grip in, but even one finger width is too tight. I need to stretch a good 20-60 minutes with that broomstick before i can even do a full snatch. There isn't much room for even 1" less width at my current level ov flexibility. I'm working on it, and its coming very slowly. Doing heavy bench volume every 4 days probably isn't helping terribly...

At the moment i just need to do 1000's and 1000's ov snatch reps, usually in form ov triples, so i use straps. The better my snatch gets the further away i am from holding onto my 1RM, but like i said, i'm not worried... yet. When i do start really working that grip, it'll come quickly. Always does.

Heh... i hope... . . .

This will be probably be ignored.. but get a massage. A deep heavy painful deep massage on those pecs.

I find it beyond ridiculous that your shoulder flexibility is in that kind of conditon.

Judas
12-23-2009, 06:12 AM
This will be probably be ignored.. but get a massage. A deep heavy painful deep massage on those pecs.

I find it beyond ridiculous that your shoulder flexibility is in that kind of conditon.

Oh yeah... i could definitely use a massage... Never had one. Closest i've come was one ART session, but thats different. Nothing is injured here, they're just stiff from benching. I bench heavy volume every 4 days.

And whats really mind-blowing... is that when i was 180, hell... when i was he lightest i've ever been in my competitive MTB days... sub-170lbs, i still couldn't touch my hands behind my back top to bottom. I've always had bad shoulder flexibility, and i'm otherwise pretty flexible. Now that i'm 235lbs with a 51" chest with a bench more than double what i could do back then i have more flexible shoulders than i've ever had. Three years ov aggressive dislocates helped...

I can still do solid full snatches with good technique. In fact, i got my last snatch PR and bench PR in the same week... . . .

KoSh
12-23-2009, 06:28 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I can't touch my hands behind my back, either, and I'm a fairly flexible person :P

teeroy
12-30-2009, 11:28 PM
After you posted this I've done this on my last two bench sessions and an OHP session and I think it really helps. Great post.

I was watching some Tate videos on EliteFTS last night and in one of his bench videos this is his number one item.