PDA

View Full Version : Super Duper Phenom vs Overkill

george okunev
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
The long argument goes on.

Having recieved a pleasant christmas bonus I have decided to do my own test. I have ordered a sd phenom and an overkill bench shirts.

Both are exact same size and specs. 2 ply chest, 3 ply arms, stitched arms, Scooped neck, Super neck, open back.

Since I have no experience with either one of the shirts and there is no one at my gym with any bias towards either one of the companies, I should get a fairly good comparison.

I ordred my SDP with help from Rick at house of pain. So far Rick and Rudy at overkill have been very helpfull and very easy to deal with. Due to all the holidays that we get here in Australia, I wont get the shirts untill start of the year.

I know people will say that Its a waist of time and that I should stick to one shirt. Which Shirt then? Both shirts have shown amazing results, both shirt seem suit my benching style. In the next 12 months my goal is to get to a 700lbs bench at 242lbs weight.

I will keeps this updated an a weekly basis so if you are interested, keep checking in from time to time.

thank you

dammstrate
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow, you couldn't have chosen two shirts more at the opposite ends of
the bench shirt spectrum. Which one works best probably will be the one
that is sized more correctly.

Good Luck!

Rob Luyando
12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Not that I know anything about bench shirts but I would have to say Overkill. And will prove why in the near future.

george okunev
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I should point out that this is not to conclude that one is better then another. It will be different for every one. There are alot of people who have gone from an SDP to the Overkill. Most of them have said that you dont have to completely re-learn all you know about shirt benching.

This is just to see how both of the shirts are.

Rob Luyando
12-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Save yoyur money and by the best shirt first...............Overkill

Travis Bell
Wow, you couldn't have chosen two shirts more at the opposite ends of
the bench shirt spectrum. Which one works best probably will be the one
that is sized more correctly.

Good Luck!

Would you mind explaining why you feel they are at two different ends of the spectrum?

I should have my overkill shirt by next week and very much look forward to trying it out.

When it comes to sizing, I really have to hand it to Rudy. He takes way more measurements than Inzer did.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

george okunev
LOL

Rob you have forgotten more about shirt benching that most of us will ever know. Dont worry I will be bugging you on facebook soon enough about how to brake the bad bastard in. By the way, thank you for your help with the overkill ordering so far. Its great to have people like you helping us kids out.

Rob Luyando
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
LOL

Rob you have forgotten more about shirt benching that most of us will ever know. Dont worry I will be bugging you on facebook soon enough about how to brake the bad bastard in. By the way, thank you for your help with the overkill ordering so far. Its great to have people like you helping us kids out.

Your not getting any help to you send the SPD back........... :):moon:

george okunev
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Rob, you've changed, ever since thanks giving, you have not been the same. LOL.

Please please please help me Rob. With your guidance I may see the truth of this cruel world.

Look Rob, you've had amazing results with the overkill and if its wasn't for your help a couple of months ago I wouldn't be ordering the Overkill at all.

Rob Luyando
12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I am just busting your balls. You obviously have money to burn ordering two shirts at a time. So here's what I sugest. Ship the SDP back get a refund and just send me your extra money.

SPD and Overkill are two totally different shirts with different grooves. Unless you have a boat load of exsperience I would pick one shirt (Overkill) and master it. You will not be making as much gains as possible if you are flip flopping shirts.

george okunev
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Rob I have alot of faith in what you say and like I said before, you have forgotten more about shirt benching then most of us will ever know. But there is always a chance that the SDP might suit me better. If it doesn't I will be very happy to admit that you were right. There are a few guys around where i train that will be happy to buy which ever shirt does not work for me. All i can do is look to people like for help with the overkill shirt. LOL man it is going to be a painful day if you are right, you'll never let me live it down will you??? ha ha ha.

george okunev
12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
A quick update. Got an email from rudy stating the overkill shirt is in the mail. Hope to get it in a couple of weeks due to all the holidays our postal workers have decided to take. that gives me close to 10 weeks to get my self ready for the nationals. Still deciding if I should try and stay at 242lbs or just let my weight go as it pleases. currently hovering around 250lbs. Had my first play with 700lbs in the power rack. I can lock it out and hold it. Feels heavy but not impossible. I keep getting more and more advice to try and avoid boards as much as I can and just let the weight hover as low as possible. Try to get it lower every workout.

icedutah
12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah that is good advice on not using boards. Just go as low as possible each time. Boards prevent that. Plus with boards you can fall out of the groove and easily touch them. Do that without the boards and you'll dump or have no leverage to press back up.

As soon as you know how to touch in the shirt then it's fine to use boards to get used to handling more weight.

george okunev
01-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Well the phenom just arrived. The overkill should only be a day or two away. I cant believe how small this shirt is. I had my ME Bench day yesterday. I'll try to put the shirt on today just to see how it feels. I am thinking of doing 2xshirted days a week until i touch in the shirt. It sounds like a great idea in my mind (as with all things i think of). Just load weights 80-90% of my max and try to go as low as possible every time. Or would that just tax me too much and put me in a hole?

SELK
01-08-2010, 12:36 AM
That sounds like a little much. Shirt work can be hard on your body.

the SDP is meant to be an extremely tight shirt. The shirt has more give to it so you will still be able to touch (after 3-4 sessions at least).

I don't know the best way to decide what shirt is going to be better. To be honest I think they are both going to be good shirts and the nod is going to do to whatever one fits better and you spend more time in. The SDP is a very easy shirt to learn (easier then rage-x or katana from my experience).

george okunev
01-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I have recieved some hate mail (rob) regarding my idea. LOL. Just kidding. look in the end one of the shirts will suit me better then the other. I agree that both shirts are top notch. I guess the heading should have been "SDP and Overkill" rather then "SDP vs Overkill". Either way I will bench more then I do now in my single ply katana.

Ben Brizendine
01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Im really interested in the Overkill. I like the Katana but my biggest complaint is that I start ripping the fabric after about 4 months. RageX was even worse. Im a single ply guy right now but wanting to get some multi ply gear. Ill have to watch and see what you make of it. Sounds like Rob likes it though....

george okunev
01-12-2010, 04:04 AM
rob is one of the best benchers we are likely to see and a hell of a nice guy. every person who has bought the overkill shirt has loved it. i ordered the SDP a little before the overkill. I have recieved the SDP now and will use it this thusday for the first time. the overkill has been stuck with USPS for over a week now. I really hope to get it soon. Rob has been benching 900lbs+ week in and week out with the overkill for a few months now so it works for him very well. My main concern was there was not alot of info on the overkill at the time and the SDP is a truely proven shirt from 600lbs to over 1000lbs. Alot of these guys are here on this forum. I will keep this updated.

icedutah
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Just like you I like single ply shirts but they just don't last long at all. I get just as much out of a single but prefer 2 ply shirts since they are very durable. I have been using the Overkill for a few months and I can tell it will last a long time.

Im really interested in the Overkill. I like the Katana but my biggest complaint is that I start ripping the fabric after about 4 months. RageX was even worse.

george okunev
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Had my first training session in the SDP. The overkill is now in australia. I hope to get it either today or monday. I will be moving my ME bench days to saturday since that is when most of the comps are on and I can train earlier in the day.

I took a while to put the shirt on and for a while we though it wasnt going to fit all the way on but a knee in the back fixed that. first shot was 450lbs just to see how it feels and how far it comes on its own. Man it was all over the place. All the other shirts I have used only let you lift one way or you get nothing. This thing, even if you are out of grove it still helps. That kinda put me of at first since I was looking for that point of resistance. It came down to maybe a 5 board. Dont forget I am 6'2 with very long arms. Next up was 500lbs and we added a 3 board to see how close I could get to it. Decided this time to just focus on keeping the elbows under the bar rather then search for that sweet spot. On the second set of doubles I touched the 3 board. This is a little over half way down for me. It was a mission to get it there but on the way up it felt like 225lbs both times.

Last set ended being a set of 5x500lbs to a 3 board. I have never speed benched 500lbs before. I am going to stay with 3 board for now and build up to 600lbs+ then start going down the boards. I am very happy with what the shirt can do. It was as high up as it possibly could be so I can only imagen what will happen once we strart adjusting the sleeves/shirt down. but thats a little while away yet.

I hope to get the overkill today, if all works out well I will have a quick shot in it this saturday. I know its very soon but My body doesnt feel as beat up as I thought it would and I have to start doing ME Bench on saturdays anyway.

Travis Bell
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
George, i think it'll be better for you to pick one or the other as far as the shirts go. Trying just one for one or two weeks isn't going to be super helpful. Trying to use both will only screw you up further.

It will take you a month or two to learn the SDP

I've used the Overkill shirt once and it will take you a bit to break that one in as well.

I still need more time in the Overkill to give a full review so in a couple weeks I'll do a little review of the shirt, but my initial opinion is that it is a extremely well built shirt.

george okunev
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I just got the overkill in my hands now. I initial inspection it is a bit of a bullet proof vest. I will be trying this shirt on saturday. It arives with a nice little Note from Rob Luyando about his personal training programs. I think thats a pretty good idea. but his stats are slightly of, Mendy has the 275 record now (but thats a whole other story). LOL

Just putting the shirt on, it does feel like a very very solid shirt. It is very tight but very comfortable at the same time. I like that the sleeves are nice and long (my monkey arms). Chest plate is bigger then the SDP but the SDP will stretch a mile in time. I think the only way to compare the shirts is to give each one a training cycle. On saturday I will choose one for this cycle which will finish with a comp on the 13th of march. Then I will use the other for the next cycle which will finish with the our state titles at the end of may. Both cycles are 8 weeks long.

I will work with similar weights on saturday and see how things go.

Rob Luyando
01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
George the note is from overkill not from me! At the time it was printed the 275 record was legit. As far as I am concerned the 275 record is still 948.

george okunev
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Rob it was a harmless dig. I agree with you on the record. We have to live with the judges decisions no matter if its a lift thats no good. or a life sentance thats undeserved. I really do think that the insert wiht the shirt is a great idea. I will most likely end up a customer of yours. I will be giving the Overkill shirt a try in a few hours. I managed to talk my Girlfriend into giving me a hand and putting the shirt yesterday. She broke a nail and is missing a little bit of skin. I had no food this morning. Its what you call a loose loose situation. Never came close to getting the shirt on either. I did find something I like on the overkill more then on the SDP. The sleeves are alot longer. Every shirt I have had, I always benched better with longer sleeves. I did not take anything of the SDP but even so the sleeves are very short. I know that will be sorted somewhat when I pull the shirt down but I like to have my sleeves just shy of the elbow. I am not sure I will get the with the SDP. Cant wait to try the Overkill.

NickAus
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
My girl broke her nail helping me put mine on, she was not happy lol.
I too get more out of a shirt with longer sleeves.
Good luck.

theBarzeen
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
let us know what you think!

I love my Overkill but it'll be cool to hear the opinion of someone else using a few shirts back to back like this........

bulldogs702
01-15-2010, 09:54 PM
George the note is from overkill not from me! At the time it was printed the 275 record was legit. As far as I am concerned the 275 record is still 948.

So which one is it? When Scot broke your record you congratulated him and told him you where going to break his new record. I thought that was a classy move on your part and I respected you for it. Now it's 948 is still the record in your eyes.

Rob Luyando
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
So which one is it? When Scot broke your record you congratulated him and told him you where going to break his new record. I thought that was a classy move on your part and I respected you for it. Now it's 948 is still the record in your eyes.

I did congradulate him and did claim I will get the record back. Then I saw the video. Not that I owe you who ever you are any explinations.

Travis Bell
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Show some respect

Rob was responding to a rather poor choice of joke on George's part. As with anyone else, he can have whatever opinion he'd like to and it's really none of your business.

Anyways, let's just get this thread back on topic and leave the Mendelson thing alone.

george okunev
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
OK. I would like to apologise to Rob. It was never my intention to upset any one. As I said before, Rob is one of the best benchers there is and will be. He has always been very willing to help me when I had questions. As for mendy's "record", well as i said before "thats a whole other story". there is a thread on it here and every one had there own opinion. I am sorry Rob. I mean that. As for the overkill shirt, I had 4 goes at putting the shirt on yesterday and we got it within 2 inches of going on. We tried slips, silks and plastic bags. We even resorted to reducing the size of my arms (I have a bit of skin missing). We tired to stretch the arms out in the gym but it was not to be. I have a football in the sleeves now and I have inflated it to increase the arm opening by 2 inches. From the notes that I got from Rudy, that should give me an extra 1/2 inch, that should be enough. The shirt is made really well and even though it is crazy tight, it feels very comfortable. If i tried that with a katana, I would probably consider becoming a "squat only lifter". The material has a huge amount of spring in it and the shirt is extremely well made. I will try to put the shirt on on monday to see if I can be squeezed in to it.

Once again a huge thanks to Rudy and Rob for all the help and patience.

If something I write does offend anyone, please tell me. All of us have our thoughts and opinions but I would rather have you guys help me then be upset with me. have the best weekend.

theBarzeen
01-16-2010, 06:36 PM
OK. I would like to apologise to Rob. It was never my intention to upset any one. As I said before, Rob is one of the best benchers there is and will be. He has always been very willing to help me when I had questions. As for mendy's "record", well as i said before "thats a whole other story". there is a thread on it here and every one had there own opinion. I am sorry Rob. I mean that. As for the overkill shirt, I had 4 goes at putting the shirt on yesterday and we got it within 2 inches of going on. We tried slips, silks and plastic bags. We even resorted to reducing the size of my arms (I have a bit of skin missing). We tired to stretch the arms out in the gym but it was not to be. I have a football in the sleeves now and I have inflated it to increase the arm opening by 2 inches. From the notes that I got from Rudy, that should give me an extra 1/2 inch, that should be enough. The shirt is made really well and even though it is crazy tight, it feels very comfortable. If i tried that with a katana, I would probably consider becoming a "squat only lifter". The material has a huge amount of spring in it and the shirt is extremely well made. I will try to put the shirt on on monday to see if I can be squeezed in to it.

Once again a huge thanks to Rudy and Rob for all the help and patience.

If something I write does offend anyone, please tell me. All of us have our thoughts and opinions but I would rather have you guys help me then be upset with me. have the best weekend.

I used a basketball in mine..... worked really well, and it hasn't stretched out since......

ct67_72
01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I thought my shirt wouldnt go on all the way, another guy with experience with them told me to use it how it was. maybe 1-1.5" from being seated into my armpit, and it worked awesome. Tore the hell out of my arms but I hit my previous 3 board pr and it felt gerat

george okunev
01-17-2010, 01:15 AM
there was no way i was gong to get my arms out to grib, maybe a close grib bench. 3 board press is half way down for me. thats was never going to happen the way the shirt was on. the ball is in now so i will wait and see.

mikesbench
01-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I got my Overkill in the other day and I just played with breaking it in yesterday. Great shirt for sure!

A few days ago when I first got it I tried putting it on before my squat workout and it was like what you're describing George, it just wouldn't seat. I stretched the shoulder holes with footballs and sprayed it with water; this helped enough to get it pulled on a bit further (I still had to grip inside the rings). After a few sets I was able to move my grip out to my normal (index finger on rings), and I actually worked doen to 1 1/2 board, which was pretty tough.

I think the main thing that helped was I kept wetting it down between sets and having the shoulders pulled up before each set.

Hope things go well for you in the shirt George.

vdizenzo
01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I sure see a lot of board press pr's in this shirt.

Necrias
01-17-2010, 11:56 AM

I just hit a 55lb full range PR! lol this shirt is working like a charm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGXaDTpsIxM&feature=player_embedded

vdizenzo
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I just hit a 55lb full range PR! lol this shirt is working like a charm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGXaDTpsIxM&feature=player_embedded

Ummmm, hmmmmm, I'm confused, that vid was of a board press. :bash:

Necrias
01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Ummmm, hmmmmm, I'm confused, that vid was of a board press. :bash:

oops! My bad, wrong vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sjv6aK0nU

george okunev
01-17-2010, 03:45 PM
well today is another day. I will try to get this shirt on again. no work in it, just going to try to get it on a little more. I am going to try and avoid using water if I can. I found that shirts feel very different when they are wet. it would be awsome to get a 55lbs pr. that would give me almost enought to win in march on formula. I have been lucky enough to lockout every weight i have brought down to boards. would any one here work with bands while braking the shirt in with boards? not rev bancds to take weight of but bands on the bench to add weight at lockout. thanks you for all your help so far.

barbell01
01-17-2010, 04:28 PM

now that you mention it, i seem to be seeing the same thing going on here! LOL

icedutah
01-18-2010, 07:58 AM
It's cause so many lifters don't know how to break in and get used to shirts now days. They do it backwards. They need to NOT use boards until they are comfortable in the shirt and know what they can touch.

Trust me. The Overkill doesn't need to be slowly broken in like some other shirts do. This shirt can take it full range or as close as possible from the start. So don't waste time with boards unless you can say you can touch a weight in the thing.

ct67_72
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I have been in the shirt twice so far. the first time down to 3 board. (sorry Vin) But I hit my previous 3 br max pretty easy. this week I went to a 2 board and hit a 60lb pr. after that it was suggested I just try and touch. I diddnt touch but I came probably with in 1.5" of it and pressed more weight then I have ever handled. 10lbs over my previous 3 board best actually.
so I think next week I will probably be able to touch.
oh and if I touched this weight it would have been 100lbs over my last meet

vdizenzo
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I have been in the shirt twice so far. the first time down to 3 board. (sorry Vin) But I hit my previous 3 br max pretty easy. this week I went to a 2 board and hit a 60lb pr. after that it was suggested I just try and touch. I diddnt touch but I came probably with in 1.5" of it and pressed more weight then I have ever handled. 10lbs over my previous 3 board best actually.
so I think next week I will probably be able to touch.
oh and if I touched this weight it would have been 100lbs over my last meet

Don't be sorry. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, it will be over 100 lbs. over your best meet when you hit it in a meet. That 1.5 is the bitch of the bunch. Listen, I want people to hit pr's. I'm not pimping gear. I did not do it when I wore Inzer and I am not doing it with Metal, but the whole Overkill thing has me laughing. People talking I am hitting this and I am hitting that, put it in the books and then I'll start taking notice.

I hit a 1000 lb 3 board a while ago in a SDP. I also hit some 840's to the chest. The truth of the matter is I never hit a number in a meet with it. Shirts ain't crap unless you can touch and hit it on the platform.

Travis Bell
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Vincent speaks the truth. Boards don't matter. Full range is all that counts. I'm looking forward to seeing how the shirt works for me full range wheni get my double broken in. I really like how they are all custom made

Clifford Gillmore
01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
well today is another day. I will try to get this shirt on again. no work in it, just going to try to get it on a little more. I am going to try and avoid using water if I can. I found that shirts feel very different when they are wet. it would be awsome to get a 55lbs pr. that would give me almost enought to win in march on formula. I have been lucky enough to lockout every weight i have brought down to boards. would any one here work with bands while braking the shirt in with boards? not rev bancds to take weight of but bands on the bench to add weight at lockout. thanks you for all your help so far.

Anymore luck with the shirt George? I must of missed you last night, I finished up around 7.

fasteddy
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
u r very strong,no doubt,but how is that a pr when spotter never took hands off bar,guided it in position then a little help coming up and no lock-out, good luck with the shirt though and i am sure that pr will come

Necrias
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
u r very strong,no doubt,but how is that a pr when spotter never took hands off bar,guided it in position then a little help coming up and no lock-out, good luck with the shirt though and i am sure that pr will come

Dude, it was a training lift. I drove 3 hrs with a few other training partners to train with a group I have never trained with before, so they stayed closer to the bar because they have never seen me lift. He didn't guide it at all, I am plenty experienced with shirts, and he said he never helped. Most of my lockouts are like that anyways, even at meets.

And Vinny, I completely agree with you, which is exactly why I am doing a meet a month for the next 3 months! (1 push/pull, 2 full)

vdizenzo
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Dude, it was a training lift. I drove 3 hrs with a few other training partners to train with a group I have never trained with before, so they stayed closer to the bar because they have never seen me lift. He didn't guide it at all, I am plenty experienced with shirts, and he said he never helped. Most of my lockouts are like that anyways, even at meets.

And Vinny, I completely agree with you, which is exactly why I am doing a meet a month for the next 3 months! (1 push/pull, 2 full)

That's too many meets. Your cns can take up to three weeks to recover from a meet. IMHO three meets in three months is a recipe for disaster.

My words in this thread are not meant to offend. Just a reality check for some. I have been there and done that. I hope you hit a giant pr regardless of what shirt you wear. I love to see lifters succeed. Best of luck in your lifting.

theBarzeen
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't be sorry. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, it will be over 100 lbs. over your best meet when you hit it in a meet. That 1.5 is the bitch of the bunch. Listen, I want people to hit pr's. I'm not pimping gear. I did not do it when I wore Inzer and I am not doing it with Metal, but the whole Overkill thing has me laughing. People talking I am hitting this and I am hitting that, put it in the books and then I'll start taking notice.

I hit a 1000 lb 3 board a while ago in a SDP. I also hit some 840's to the chest. The truth of the matter is I never hit a number in a meet with it. Shirts ain't crap unless you can touch and hit it on the platform.

It took 3 or 4 weeks to switch from my old BOSS to my Overkill and hit a 35# PR at AWPC worlds this year ( only 585 but it was still a good bench for me)... the shirt was insane to learn but has been doing really well for me..... after a few months working the shirt I hit my first 600 at the UPA Illinois state meet and I'm planning on going mid 600's at Caslow's meet....... it's just a lot of shirt for people to get used to......

sorry..... my gear-pimping is done.... I just had a really good experience with the shirt......

Travis Bell
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
That's too many meets. Your cns can take up to three weeks to recover from a meet. IMHO three meets in three months is a recipe for disaster.

My words in this thread are not meant to offend. Just a reality check for some. I have been there and done that. I hope you hit a giant pr regardless of what shirt you wear. I love to see lifters succeed. Best of luck in your lifting.

Truth.

There is no way you can get stronger between meets if you're doing one a month

Brian Hopper
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Truth.

There is no way you can get stronger between meets if you're doing one a month

I Agree!!!

Rob Luyando
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I will throw my two cents in becuase I can. I agree with Vincent on the fact that gym lifts are nothing more then that. I voice an honest opinion about which ofthe two shirts mentioned I feel is a better quality and better performing shirt. I did this becuase I have exsperience in both shirts. In not way was I pimping just stating facts from my own personal exsperience. As far as not being able to get stronger doin a meet every month I disagree becuase I didit with sucess. As long as you plan your training right it can be done.

mikesbench
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I understand what Vin is saying, and it's completely true; all that counts is lifts in meets. I am however really excited about my new overkill shirt so far; but shirt preference can definitely be very individual. So far I believe this is the best shirt I have had; but I haven't tried everything out there either. I had good success with my Rage-X, but I think that once the new shirt is broken in I will bench more in this shirt than I have before. The main point is, only time will tell.

I'm definitely looking forward to finding out once I hit my next couple meets. I'm planning on using APF IL State as a prep meet (mid March), then going to AAPF Nationals and seeing how things pan out.

theBarzeen
01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm planning on using APF IL State as a prep meet (mid March), then going to AAPF Nationals and seeing how things pan out.

wait a minute... are you the same mike who lifts with Stephanie Van DeVeghe and Kelly Martin?

either way I'll see you in March if you're doing the APF Illinois meet.......

mikesbench
01-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Barzeen,
nope, I lift at Monster Garage in Waukegan. See you at the meet though.

David Lewis
01-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Would the guys using the Overkill recommend the grid stitch or not? I have heard some people say that the stitching limits the pop out of the hole. Thoughts?

icedutah
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Mine has grid stitch and I like it. But I really would like to try the same size shirt without grid stitch so I could see the difference.

I doubt anyone has tried this shirt with and without the grid stitch yet for a comparison since it's so new.

Travis Bell
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Would the guys using the Overkill recommend the grid stitch or not? I have heard some people say that the stitching limits the pop out of the hole. Thoughts?

Rudy, the guy who makes them, does not recommend getting grid stitch as it does limit the pop

theBarzeen
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Rudy, the guy who makes them, does not recommend getting grid stitch as it does limit the pop

I'm thinking about going 3-ply for my next one, and I'll definitely go NOT grid-stitched...... I can always grid-stitch it later......

Mine is grid stitched and works great for me, but that's not to say that it wouldn't work better without it.....

Honestly Rudy spends a ton of time watching some great lifters ( because he's getting F-ing lazy about training himself.... I know you'll read this Rudy....... You heard me)

but because of that he's really good about tweaking stuff to make it work better.... if he says it'll work better like XYZ, then 90% chance it will..... he's been spot on with my gear.....

icedutah
01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Has anyone ever removed the grid stitching from their shirt? Just wandering if it left the shirt weaker and more vulnerable to tearing?

ct67_72
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
so how is this going, haven't seen an update for a while

douglasoh5
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I read where charels baily took the horizonal stitching out of a grid stitched shirt before....so the stitching was only up and down....

mikesbench
01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
update on breaking in my shirt...
Still haven't gotten a touch in the shirt, but have been down to aroun 1/2 - 1" so far. I've been in it twice now, and it's definitely a solid shirt, just a matter of if I can break it in to get down with a reasonable weight.

So far I'm assuming I'll need to use my old shirt at least to open with. I also need to continue working on handling the extra weight that I'll need to get a good rep in at a meet. Time will tell, but I'm optomistic so far. I'll have a video up soon of yesterday's work in the shirt.

mikesbench
01-24-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7eJ1FEJiTE

Travis Bell
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Mike, if you tucked more, you'd probably get that to touch.

I realize you didn't ask, just a thought though

mikesbench
01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Travis; you're probably right, I guess I started pussing out a bit.

george okunev
01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Hello. I am sorry for the dealy. I have been over to Singapore. work told me to have 2 weeks of after 4 years of no holidays. My new GF wanted to go overseas and I loved sintgapore last time i went there. I got a week long training session with a crew of Olympic style weight lifters. Got a huge amount out of it on leg drive, and how to get more power of the floor for deadlifts. Plus got a rundown on what to eat during and post training/meet cycles. these guys taking nutrition to an art. They know how they will feel and what they can do in training by changing what they eat. They eat for the next days training session. depending on whether its going to be an ME day or a cardio day. It sounds simple enough but the results blew me away.

They were a little puzzled by the benching technique. Pretty much all of them are doing to BB style benching. I did get a pb by accident, did a set of 5 at 405lbs thinking it was about 380. prev best was a 3. i was to gased for the 450lbs and did a mendy by locking it out to 85%. So i guess it counts.

As for teh shirt, moved the shirt day 2 sunday. that gives me just under 2 weeks out of the shirts. Overkill is next on the list. Had soccer balls in it for 2 days and got an extra 1/2inch in the arms and shoulders. should squeeze into it on sunday. I am going to do a few 4 boards just to let the shirt settle on me then go as far down as I can. I have my video camera back now so I will start putting videos up of training sessions.

Onca again sorry for taking my sweet ass time.

bencher8
01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
"did a mendy, and locked it out 85%, so I guess it counts"

lol

george okunev
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Had ,y forst sunday ME bench day. Had ups and downs. still could not get the overkill shirt on but its an inch away. I need to stretch out the shoulders a little and it will go on. So 30 minutes was taken up by that. Went back to the SDP shirt. had a very hard time with 450lb and 485lbs but that was due to me slipping on the bench. The outside temp reached a healthy 38c god knows how hot it was in the gym. By putting a tank top on the bench did a very easy triple at 485lbs and a triple at 530lbs. Starting to get used to the groove of the SDP. I should have gone havier but I ran out of spotters. Next sunday will go down to a 2 board and will go for 600lbs. I have a DE day on thursday so will try the overkill again then. I am really hoping to get a session in the overkill before the Nationals in march. The goal is a 650lbs bench in march. I have seven weeks to get there. did a triple at 661lbs lockouts raw. Weight is feeling lighter and lighter in my hands. Damn overkill is killing me. every time i try it on me and my spotters loose more and more skin. oh well.

icedutah
02-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Good luck in the Overkill. It sounds too small for you. Mine goes on pretty easy. My wife can put it on me in a few minutes. I have tried 675 in it to touch and was about still 2" away.

george okunev
02-01-2010, 04:02 AM
i've been told that it might be too small and others say its spot on. the chest plate looks to be the right size. I think I will stretch out the shoulders a little and it will be perfect. I had similar trouble with my first katana then ones i got it on it gave me about 150lbs over my raw bench. I am dying to find out what its like.

vdizenzo
02-01-2010, 06:24 AM
I have to learn how to wear a tight shirt.

Travis Bell
02-01-2010, 06:49 AM
George, be careful stretching out the shoulders with balls. The shirt is supposed to be quite tight as I'm told by Rudy and Rob. You just really need to give it time and be patient.

I really think your method of switching back and fourth between shirts during sessions is going to be counter productive. Just put the shirt on as best as your training partners can get it and start taking some weight down as far as you can.

barbell01
02-01-2010, 08:51 AM
George, be careful stretching out the shoulders with balls. The shirt is supposed to be quite tight as I'm told by Rudy and Rob. You just really need to give it time and be patient.

I really think your method of switching back and fourth between shirts during sessions is going to be counter productive. Just put the shirt on as best as your training partners can get it and start taking some weight down as far as you can.

yes.

dbc3po
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
my .02 would be to just stick to the super phenom for now and then work in the overkill after your meet when you have more time. I think you can/will do well with either shirt. I have a 3 ply phenom Im going to be working in once I get strong enough to use it. I had a trianing partner that couldnt make his mind up between 2 shirts going into a meet, He got to the meet hit his 500 opener then missed 550 a lift he tripled in training swaped shirts and then missed 600 a lift he doubled off a 1 board. He was way out of groove on all of them. Each shirt has its own groove listen to these guys they will not lead you down the wrong path, but then again its your time money and training. We just want to see you smash a pr no matter what shirt!!

h.t.hall
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Had ,y forst sunday ME bench day. Had ups and downs. still could not get the overkill shirt on but its an inch away. I need to stretch out the shoulders a little and it will go on. So 30 minutes was taken up by that. Went back to the SDP shirt. had a very hard time with 450lb and 485lbs but that was due to me slipping on the bench. The outside temp reached a healthy 38c god knows how hot it was in the gym. By putting a tank top on the bench did a very easy triple at 485lbs and a triple at 530lbs. Starting to get used to the groove of the SDP. I should have gone havier but I ran out of spotters. Next sunday will go down to a 2 board and will go for 600lbs. I have a DE day on thursday so will try the overkill again then. I am really hoping to get a session in the overkill before the Nationals in march. The goal is a 650lbs bench in march. I have seven weeks to get there. did a triple at 661lbs lockouts raw. Weight is feeling lighter and lighter in my hands. Damn overkill is killing me. every time i try it on me and my spotters loose more and more skin. oh well.

This was a custom made shirt you gave a bunch of different measurements for, not to mention a load of money ,right ? So ,unless you ordered an impossible to fit shirt or gained 20 pounds between ordering it and now,this "great service " of the shirt manufacturer should at least make some free adjustments for you,if not change the shirt for a new ,larger one.
This would both let you enjoy the shirt you paid for and the manufacturer enjoy some good props for doing so,aside from all the good words put forth from all the sponsored lifters around the forums...

NickAus
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
It does sound a little too tight, I can get mine on in a couple of minutes with one person helping.

I agree with what everyone is saying in regards to swaping the shirts all the time, it seems crazy to me.
It could take months to learn a shirt.

I would stick with the phenom for this cycle.

george okunev
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I will be using the SDP for this comp. Travis I will take your sudgestion and just work with the overkill as it is. I know the shirt will fit me in time. I have 5 more ME sessions before the comp. I will swith to the overkill straight after the comp and start training for our state 3 lift comp. Which will give me 8 or 9 weeks in the overkill shirt. I hope that will be enough time.

robchris
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
George,
Good luck at the meet bro... Plenty of time to learn the overkill for the next comp.

Cheers,
RC

Learning2Lift
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe overkill gives your one free alteration/adjustment with your purchase all you pay for is the shipping.

NickAus
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe overkill gives your one free alteration/adjustment with your purchase all you pay for is the shipping.

Yep!

Travis Bell
02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Just a note on the fitting of the sleeves, remember that the end of the sleeve is measured for your elbow. Most, if not everyone, has bigger forearms than elbows, so when the shirt is sliding up your arms, it's going to feel quite tight on the forearms.

Take some plastic bags and use them to slide past the tough spots on your arms and then just pull them out when the shirt is properly seated.

The bigger the difference between the elbow measurement and your forearm measurement, the tougher the fit is going to be, but once you get it on it'll fit perfect.

For me, the difference is only half an inch so it's not super tough to get them on. You just have to be patient and work the shirt in.

I'm not an expert on the shirt at all (be getting in my new on this week) however I have spoken to Rudy at length about the sizing, measurement and fabric just to help me understand. I'll have a better opinion on the performance of the shirt in a few weeks.

george okunev
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
My shirt stops at the very top of my arm. It is hell to get it over the forarm but it does go over. Mine stiops just past the bicep. about an inch away from touching the front of the shoulder. Thats why i thougth if I open the shoulder more it would go on well. But that part of the shirt takes alot of the load when you bench so i will work with it and let it settle on me with time. It looks like the shirt is really jacked up. I might even bench that way in time but not now whne the shirt is new and I dont think I am near string enough for that sort of adjustment yet. All in good time. Thanks Travis. My trip to your parts is still on the cards. I really hope it goes ahead.

Bttlefedponyboy
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
is the overkill uspf approved?

J Stottlemire
02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
No it is not USPF approved.

Bttlefedponyboy
02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
looks like im in trouble

icedutah
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Can you use the single ply Overkill in WABDL?

AZBengoshi
02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The Overkill is not currently on the list of approved gear for WABDL.

Travis Bell
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
It's a brand new company and shirt so give it a little time and I'm sure it'll get approved, probably not for the IPF though. The fees for that are pretty steep lol

I got in my new Overkill today (double instead of triple and we added a little in the chest) and I was quite impressed. I really focused on tucking real hard and riding the groove of the shirt down hard. I did my normal 3brd as my ME exercise then threw on the shirt for a few light sets. Worked it to a 4 and 3brd farily easily. I could have touched a 2brd I think,but I decided not to get real crazy with it and just focus on breaking it in.

I couldn't get it all the way seated in my arm pits, but that's to be expected with the new shirt until it breaks in.

The best thing to do with these shirts in my opinion is to get them on as far as you can and then just work on breaking them in. Just take some weight with them. You don't have to go super low with them when touching. Least no more than any regular shirt. The pop is pretty impressive. I'm really looking forward to using the shirt more.

David Lewis
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I have been having trouble with mine cutting off the curculation to my fore arms. Rudy had me open the arms last night. He said that it is really important to get the arm pit are seated correctly, especially for touching. We'll findout on Sat if it helps.

On a side note....dont use cheap soccer balls to open the sleeves....I still have a ringing in my ears from the pop......

theBarzeen
02-03-2010, 03:58 PM
My shirt stops at the very top of my arm. It is hell to get it over the forarm but it does go over. Mine stiops just past the bicep. about an inch away from touching the front of the shoulder. Thats why i thougth if I open the shoulder more it would go on well. But that part of the shirt takes alot of the load when you bench so i will work with it and let it settle on me with time. It looks like the shirt is really jacked up. I might even bench that way in time but not now whne the shirt is new and I dont think I am near string enough for that sort of adjustment yet. All in good time. Thanks Travis. My trip to your parts is still on the cards. I really hope it goes ahead.

That's what mine did at first..... I opened it up a little with a basketball and the second time in it I got it most of the way up, but still needed help getting my hands out to the rings.... took ~500-600 to a 3, then 2 board for triples and still felt like a ton of pressure...... it took a good 4 weeks to really get everything to seat up and get me to touch...... it's all about just learning to hold tight and making the shirt stretch.....

george okunev
02-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Learnt a very harsh lesson on sunday. we had our yearly function on saturday night. i had a glass of wine and a glass of beer. first alcohol in close to a year. lets just say that 585lbs touched to a 2 board and stayed there. I just could not focus. Could not set up, could not focus at all. the strength was there cause i still did 2 sets of 5 at 600lbs raw on lockouts. never doing that again.

I have decided to still try and put the overkill on every chance I am at the gym just to get it to loosen up on me rather then using domething to stretch it out. That way I am hoping mould it slightly to me rather then a ball.

How soon in the brake in process would you guys say I should start playing the setting the SDP lower (jacking the shirt)? Straight after you touch or after a couple of sessions of touching?

vdizenzo
02-08-2010, 05:49 AM
George, I have a little advice for you and those checking in on this thread. For almost five years I worked with multiple shirts. I was in a Double Rage for a while and the SDP. I tried many sizes and went with a few custom shirts. I never hit a pr in a meet during that time, over four and a half years. One of the best things that happened to me was going over to Elite. They really only had one choice for me as far as a bench shirt goes, the Ace (There's no second guessing that that's their best shirt). I will say it's the best shirt I have ever worn, however, that's not the point of this post. The point is, I now had really only one type of shirt to learn. Guess what, I learned the Ace very well and hit two pr's in one meet after only one training cycle (it was a stock size 62). I do want to say that I decided to get a bigger Ace to do an opener with (I had the sleeves taken in on that one because somehow I asked for a 66 and completely skipped over a 64) which worked very well for me. I got that idea to wear multiple shirts in training from an article Louie wrote. The point is, make a decision and pick one shirt to learn for now. At least that's my humble opinion.

Travis Bell
02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
I have to agree. switching shirts has never been productive for me.

Every time I've hit a Pr that was the only shirt I wore.

Switching sizes is one thing, because it's the same groove, guys who are great technicians and know their shirts, do quite well with this. But switching types of shirts is just not a good idea.

george okunev
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Vincent and Travis. Thank you. I agree with you. I guess what I wrote wasnt exactly clear. When i said I will try and put the overkill on every chance I get, thats exactly what I ment. Just try and put the shirt on and maybe try and grab an empty bar to try and help the shirt settle. Not gonig to train in the Overkill until after the next meet. From all the info I can find the Overkill will be a longer lasting shirt. I dont really want to spend $300 every couple of meets on a new SDP unless it yields very very good results. I really like the SDP shirt and how it feels. This excersise is to pick out a shirt for my self and maybe help some one else make up there mind about a shirt if they are in a similar situation. I am training in the SDP until the 13th of March. Then I will go to the overkill for a training cycle of 8 weeks. Then I will have a pretty good idea of which shirt I like more and why. I also have 3 other people I train with who will be buying shirts depending on my results.