PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Protein

soclydeza
12-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I know they say the typical amount one should take to build muscle is 1 gram per pound, or more. Has anyone been successful with taking lower amounts? the reason i ask is, in college my biotech professor and i were talking about it. he said that people who lift weights end up taking way too much protein, that the body can only process so much and the rest is excreted in your waste. i forget what amount he said was optimal, but i know it was less then 1g per lbs. hes got a phd in microbiology so im sure he knows what he is talking about. just wanted to see what you guys thought about this or if anyone has been successful in hypertrophy and have taken smaller amounts than the typical recommended dosage. thanks

alin
12-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that the amount of protein taken by bodybuilders exceeds the body's required amount. That's the whole point - to give your body excess protein so that you can be sure that muscle fibers are being built.

The amount of protein needed by the body could be less than 1 gram per pound, but I doubt it is too much less.

Perhaps, with a very well-planned diet, you could give your body the exact amount of protein needed. I'm sure that many bodybuilders (especially those who reduce fat and increase muscle simultaneously) aim to achieve that. But for most bodybuilders, eating a small amount of excess protein does lots of good and little harm.

Tom Mutaffis
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
A lot of times I recommend 1g/lb of lean body mass. This means that a 175 lbs man with 14% bodyfat would require about 150 grams of protein. You can get away with less but that would likely be more of a maintenance program.

There are a number of factors such as intensity of your training program, lifestyle, current physique, supplements, etc.

james_w8lifter
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I've always heard 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight for bodybuilders. I take in over 300 grams a day thanks to shakes

aormz
12-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I try not to go to far over 50g's per meal. Never over 65

Judas
12-23-2009, 07:16 AM
A lot of times I recommend 1g/lb of lean body mass. This means that a 175 lbs man with 14% bodyfat would require about 150 grams of protein.

I think thats the best way to figure it, but people who dont know where their BF% is at or are not honest with themselves can get into trouble with that. I usually tell people (who want to gain) to go for 1.5gr per pound ov bodyweight, but only because most who ask this question dont know how to 'count' grams ov protein, and never eat enough anyways.

Personally, that ratio would strip me in weeks. I'd be taking in 210-ish grams per day, and at the weight i'm at this year (230-235) if i dip under 275 i start losing. I think metabolism plays a part, mine is rather extreme, and possibly body style (meso, ecto, endo), though at that i'm just guessing. I know myself pretty well and i need at least 300 gr per day to gain, now that i'm 235-ish i've been pounding 350-380 per day and still seeing only slow gains. And thats with optimal training and recovery.

To the OP. Generally, the people who spout off about us taking too much protein are either very small/thin/out ov shape, or completely ignorant on the topic. If they are PT's they are generally small, dont look like they work out, and have small clients.

Allen Cress
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Everyone is different on what is needed. Yes you can build a physique from less than 1 gram per lb. The structure of the diet will determine that. No one can say exactly how much is required. But a general rule is .75-1 gram per lb of bodyweight.

One important factor that people seem to forget about is when it comes to building muscle your protein sparing nutrients are extremely important. Carbs and Fats are needed so protein is used to rebuild and allow the muscle to recover. Without these you would be using protein for fuel, which is the last thing you want. Too many people are carb phobic and think carbs will make them fat when its the amount of calories will dictate that.

darkdan
12-25-2009, 10:06 PM
he's 100% correct. Your body will never digest, absorb, and use all the protein you eat, but which side do you want to error on?