PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in an Ace bench shirt routine?

martin
12-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey everyone,

I got myself an Ace shirt (well the missus got me one bless her) for Christmas after a long chat with the guys from Metal.

I know some people who have had good results in them and I need some help on my bench.

So, any tips on breaking it in?

I know how to put it on properly (the Metal team showed me how to get it on - and spent 10 mins pulling it off my forearms).

Also, how'd you train when breaking in a shirt? I normally follow a Westside style plan (although I hate that term lol) - I do a max effort exercise plus heavy bench assistance once a week and a lighter recovery/speed/raw day also.

Thanks for any help

Martin

george okunev
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
You might want to send a message to vdizenzo. I believe he uses a metal ace (with 800lbs+ results). I have only used my briefly. When I first got it, it was too much of a shirt for me, now though it is too small for me. Guys in Europe use them and get very good results. As for training, I keep it very similar. I have a heavy bench day with the shirt followed by tri work. Then I will have a speed/light raw bench day. It has worked for me so far. good luck and let us know how you go.

KarstenDD
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
TRIPLES IN THE SHIRT!

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/art_of_triples.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bench_shirt_training.htm

KarstenDD
12-22-2009, 07:16 PM
You might want to send a message to vdizenzo. I believe he uses a metal ace (with 800lbs+ results).

Vincent has only recently gotten into an Ace. While he has had great results thus far, he hit 800 a few years back in a Karin's Denim.

george okunev
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
even more credit to vin. changed shirts and never lost a pound of his bench.

vdizenzo
12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I was working reps for a while in a size 62 Ace. I was not able to touch with lighter weight and my body was not ready for heavier weight. I was training and competing raw for sometime prior. So I switched to a 66 Ace with good success (I have no idea how I skipped right over a 64). I have never been one for super tight shirts so I might be the wrong person to give advice. However, now I feel like my CNS is ready for a tighter shirt, albeit a tight shirt for me is one that takes 10 seconds to get on instead of 5.

What I recommend for you is what Karsten said, reps in the shirt. What I don't recommend are boards to learn a shirt. You can let the weight dump into a board, but you can't do that without it. In my opinion they do not mimic a real press. Just let the weight come down and try and let it settle. When it really locks up, have someone give you a press call. Don't just press when you feel like it, most people will be too easy on themselves. Let someone else punish you.

I'm hoping Paul Key and Rob Luyando chime in, they seem to have mastered touching weight in tight shirts. I'm working on it.

douglasoh5
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
When I first got my ace...last november i think I broke it in with boards over a cpl months time but since then havnt used boards with it..I agree with vinny its to easy to change the groove in the shirt knowing a board is there...iv done triples dbls and singles in the shirt..never going to a max though. just working on doing it perfect..

martin
12-23-2009, 06:32 AM
I was working reps for a while in a size 62 Ace. I was not able to touch with lighter weight and my body was not ready for heavier weight. I was training and competing raw for sometime prior. So I switched to a 66 Ace with good success (I have no idea how I skipped right over a 64). I have never been one for super tight shirts so I might be the wrong person to give advice. However, now I feel like my CNS is ready for a tighter shirt, albeit a tight shirt for me is one that takes 10 seconds to get on instead of 5.

What I recommend for you is what Karsten said, reps in the shirt. What I don't recommend are boards to learn a shirt. You can let the weight dump into a board, but you can't do that without it. In my opinion they do not mimic a real press. Just let the weight come down and try and let it settle. When it really locks up, have someone give you a press call. Don't just press when you feel like it, most people will be too easy on themselves. Let someone else punish you.

I'm hoping Paul Key and Rob Luyando chime in, they seem to have mastered touching weight in tight shirts. I'm working on it.

Thanks everyone, and cheers Vincent.

To be honest the shirt isn't that tight. The metal team wanted me in a 54 but spent twenty mins trying to get it up my forearm and gave up. So ended up with a 56 - which feels looser than the two ply f6's I've been using before.

I heard the groove is better when elbows are bought down flared for the first part and then only tucked half way down - to load the chest plate. Would you agree with this?

thanks

ScottYard
12-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I like reps. While I never used the ace, the bash is similar and I always used 4 sets of 2 with 90% to the chest for a few weeks. I think boards have a place but only after you are very sufficient at touchng weights. Soak it down the first workout and do keep the weights moderate(75%) and really let the bar sink while doing sets. After this workout keep the shirt dry and put the weight on it.