PDA

View Full Version : Question about different types of Squats

pmm10990
12-25-2009, 10:45 AM
OK so i basicly have been using a highbar, ATG/Oly style squat since highschool due to the fact that my FB coach taught us that.
Now that I am a big boy and out of highschool, me and a couple buddies put together a PL club and I switched to more of a lowbar, PL style.
now i know the oly style does not use the hip drive like PL squats.

when i switched i kept the same wieght as my oly squats, and i think i may have pulled my hip muscle or glute.

My question is, does the switching the styles and not dialing back the weight cased this, or did i probibly just pull a muscle?

slashkills
12-25-2009, 10:54 AM
You could have pulled something if you didnt stretch out good enough. wide stance PL squats are kind of rough on the hips and if you dont stretch out enough can cause some discomfort. How long ago did this happen? I always do dynamic stretches for everthing before squats. I also do static stretches for my hips.

Rugby Dad
12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
OP, i'd think that going from oly style to power you will find that you can handle quite a bit more weight since you're using a wider stance and more hip.
the hips a big powerful muscles , doubt that you would have over strained them.

JJ33
12-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Well i would have to disagree b/c the same thing happened to me.I pulled my quad up near the hip.Your going to have to give yourself time for your hips to catch up.You can throw in some adductors to help strengthen this area up.

Sensei
12-25-2009, 05:08 PM
You're going to need time to acclimate if you change stance, depth, and/or bar positioning. Yes, you need to dial it down a little.

mikewood
12-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I find that wide stance squats with no breifs flare the hell out of my IT band, which kinda runs down the leg via hip, particularly if there is band tension involved. I am a gear whore now, so my solution is some linament and a pair of breifs. You may want to work your stance out slowly so your body gets used to the strech and strain on yer hips.

Travis Bell
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
You're going to need time to acclimate if you change stance, depth, and/or bar positioning. Yes, you need to dial it down a little.

Totally agree.

You went from not using hardly any hip drive or glute drive, to a totally new stance where you were using a ton of hips and glutes. Yeah it's very likely that you could have pulled or strained something.

Back off the weight for awhile until your body acclimates to the style

pmm10990
12-25-2009, 09:55 PM
OK thank you guys. I hurt my self a couple weeks back and i couldnt max with my buddies. Imma feel like a complete pussy but ill drop the squat weight haha. im just hoping i heal up soon, because for a while i felt the same pain getting up from the couch and chairs.

but yea thanks guys

Oh and off topic, im looking into getting wraps, wat size should i get?(both knees and wrist)

Lones Green
12-26-2009, 08:15 AM
OK thank you guys. I hurt my self a couple weeks back and i couldnt max with my buddies. Imma feel like a complete pussy but ill drop the squat weight haha. im just hoping i heal up soon, because for a while i felt the same pain getting up from the couch and chairs.

but yea thanks guys

Oh and off topic, im looking into getting wraps, wat size should i get?(both knees and wrist)

Good idea, you'll look even more pathetic with a torn hip flexor

mastermonster
12-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Like several others above, I'd always suggest pulling back on the weight to start any new change on any lift. Different muscles are activated to differing degrees and have to develope to the new and different demand on them. Good luck and congrats on starting your own club!

pmm10990
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Ouch lones, I might not be that strong yet but i would hope im not pathetic.

Judas
12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
When i switched to olympic lifting my squat went from a 490lb below-parallel (IPF) super-wide stance squat, i'm talkin' feet against the uprights... MEGA groin stretch... to a very core-limited 405ATG olympic squat. Almost a hundred pounds. It took me the better part ov a year to get back to the same number with a proper olympic squat... i had some serious core issues to sort out. I wouldn't have thought the difference would've been THAT drastic... but what the hell. I took whatever weight needed to be taken off the bar and started over.

Travis Bell
12-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Ouch lones, I might not be that strong yet but i would hope im not pathetic.

LOL I think you misread it, he was agreeing with your decision to dial back the weight. You said you'll look like a pussy to your friends, he was just saying to keep going heavy would make it worse

As for wraps, just get something general to start with. Inzer wraps are good ones. Just get used to them. If you go to the gangster APT ones off the start, it can be a pain in the neck learning them.

Lones Green
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
LOL I think you misread it, he was agreeing with your decision to dial back the weight. You said you'll look like a pussy to your friends, he was just saying to keep going heavy would make it worse

As for wraps, just get something general to start with. Inzer wraps are good ones. Just get used to them. If you go to the gangster APT ones off the start, it can be a pain in the neck learning them.

Yeah, you kind of misread my post.

I meant changing forms and going balls to the wall with the weight has a high chance for injury, such as a torn hip flexor with the wide stance you're referring to.

Not an insult, I was agreeing with you.

pmm10990
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
HAHAHA aight, no harm done. and i was thinking of going titan THP, i was wondering the length i should get for the wrist and knee wraps

ScottYard
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Go with 32 inch wrsit wraps and 2.5 meter knee wraps assuming your fed allows them. If you go shorter you will wish you just got ther longer ones in a week.

JSully
12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I do alot of dynamic hip stretching now as I experienced the same problem after going heavy on box squats earlier this year... make sure you really warm up to get the blood in there. Low box squats will also help strengthen the hips quite a bit..

pmm10990
12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
ok all of these suggestions sound really great to me, i just hate to have a muscle or group of muscle that is lagging behind. *sigh* back to the drawing board.