PDA

View Full Version : question on bench shirts

JK1
12-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I need some information/advice on bench shirts.

I currently use a single ply, rage X. I like that shirt, but its 2 years old and getting a bit worn out. I bench with a relatively high arch and I guess you can say I have a big gut, also I tend to touch "low". I'm looking at a Super Katana but am a bit confused by the specifics of the angled sleeve vs the straight sleeve. Can someone help me and explain the difference? Am I correct looking at this shirt considering my setup or does Titan offer something else suiting my bench style I'm missing?

Thank you...

Brian Hopper
12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I believe the angled sleeve is for benchers with an arch and the straight sleeves are for flat back benchers. So if you have a pretty high arch then go with the a/s.

jtteg_x
12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
The angle sleeve (A/S) version are for those who bench with a decent arch and touch low (lower pec, closer to belly). The straight sleeve (S/S) is designed for those with minimal to no arch and prefer there bar path somewhere within the mid line of the chest.

The super katana is a pretty advanced shirt. I never tried a well fitted Rage-X (planning on it) so I can't give you spot on comparisons. The F6 is a more forgiving shirt and easier to learn IMO. The material on the katana is much more strong fabric so its harder to touch and the torque sleeve design may take a bit to figure out when you descend and ascend on the bench.

you should post a bench video of one of your sessions to give people a general idea of your technique.

edit: I always gotta vouch for Ken Anderson @ http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com He gets your stuff out quick and responds to emails and phone calls quickly as well. He is the man to talk to if your considering Titan equipment.

JK1
12-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys.

I like the Rage X as a single ply shirt---I've gone from a competition bench of 500 to 635 (and I've worked 700+ off boards in the gym) using that style shirt, but as I'm planning out training for the next few months, I'm wondering if I need to try something different. I'm basically looking at all options as I get ready to push my bench up to and over the 700 point this year.

Thanks again.

MarcusWild
12-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Go for the super katana. You can go a little bigger in the chest plate but make sure the arms are super tight. That'll make it easier to touch, but give you support all the way to lockout.

JK1
12-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Go for the super katana. You can go a little bigger in the chest plate but make sure the arms are super tight. That'll make it easier to touch, but give you support all the way to lockout.

How tight is super tight? I like the Rage X because the arms are tight, but not cut off bloodflow to the fingers tight.

MarcusWild
12-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I'd say as tight as you can handle. Last time I wore mine I had imprints on my arms from the weave of the fabric.

JK1
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I'd say as tight as you can handle. Last time I wore mine I had imprints on my arms from the weave of the fabric.

I guess I'm thinking more of really tight = almost impossible to get on than imprints. I had bruises on my arms from my last meet where I jacked the shirt up that lasted over a week. That just goes with wearing a bench shirt.

I'm more concerned about being able to get in and out of the thing than it cutting me. I stand a good chance to be training with people not as strong as I am. I gotta have a shirt they can pull on me, so if its that "super tight", I may not be able to use it.

Rob Luyando
12-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Your missing the boat. Don't waste your time Order an Overkill

ct67_72
12-26-2009, 01:17 PM
after going through the same thing I ended up ordering an overkill

douglasoh5
12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Are you wanting to stay single ply? If so Id say the a/s katana would prolly be ur best bet...but if your thinking of dbl ply the new overkill or ace are good shirts

Rob Luyando
12-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Overkill Single Ply is a bad ass shirt and they will make a closed back via special order

cpa5oh
12-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Does overkill have any plans to become IPF approved with their single ply stuff?

robchris
12-26-2009, 04:14 PM
JK1,
I've used both shirts(SK & rage x) and I like both, however I feel there are distinct differances. The grooves are similer but the SK material is thicker so it was harder to touch... Basically, IMO Rage X has more pop off the chest, while the SK gives more support mid-range to lock-out. As far as Overkill... If they get IPF approved I gittin' one right away!
My .02
RC

Captain_Crunch
12-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Your missing the boat. Don't waste your time Order an Overkill

Any advice on breaking the Overkill in. Just ordered one the other day.

douglasoh5
12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
no use and getting a single ply overkill if you cant use it. If your lifting in a dbl ply fed it would be ok, but then why not just get it dbl.

JK1
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Overkill Single Ply is a bad ass shirt and they will make a closed back via special order

Thanks Rob... Do you have contact information for Rudy? Can you pm it ot me or post it? I don't know much about that shirt at all, but I'll definately look into it.

mastermonster
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I need some information/advice on bench shirts.

I currently use a single ply, rage X. I like that shirt, but its 2 years old and getting a bit worn out. I bench with a relatively high arch and I guess you can say I have a big gut, also I tend to touch "low". I'm looking at a Super Katana but am a bit confused by the specifics of the angled sleeve vs the straight sleeve. Can someone help me and explain the difference? Am I correct looking at this shirt considering my setup or does Titan offer something else suiting my bench style I'm missing?

Thank you...

I think that if you've been in a Rage X for 2 years the Super Katana A/S would be a very logical choice. Definately stepping up but familiar enough to make it an easier transition. Many are getting as good of #s with the single Katana as with their former double plies. Good luck getting 700!

JK1
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
JK1,
I've used both shirts(SK & rage x) and I like both, however I feel there are distinct differances. The grooves are similer but the SK material is thicker so it was harder to touch... Basically, IMO Rage X has more pop off the chest, while the SK gives more support mid-range to lock-out. As far as Overkill... If they get IPF approved I gittin' one right away!
My .02
RC

I have no plans on competing in anything remotely associated with the IPF anytime in the near future... however, I do want to stay single ply in other feds for various reasons.

What you wrote above is actually the reason I was considering the SK vs the Rage X. I have been struggling with lockout for some reason, but seem strong off my chest. I'm am working through that but in planning for the next meet am also trying to consider all options.

Rob Luyando
12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will email your the ordering instructions.

As for breaking them in. Nothing special just do a lot of sets. Lighter weight will feel heavier. Heavier weight will feel lighter. The more weight you put on the bar the more the shirt reacts.

mikesbench
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm sold on the Overkill too. Orderig one shortly.

Captain_Crunch
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks Rob.

Robert Crawford
01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Titan's Super Katana is the best single ply shirt around.

I have several regular Katanas and several Rage X's. I use different sizes depending upon my bodyweight.

When comparing the seams and construction on the regular Katana and Rage X, I cannot find any significant differences.

But the Super Katana is better with the low collar. The Super Katana mimics the low neck on the double-ply, backless shirts used in some federations.

In my opinion, the Super Katana is the next step up in engineering. Wear your belt tightly enough so that your Super Katana does not slip up when you lay on the bench and stretch for the bar. You lose all drive from the collar if the super Katana slips up.

Robert Crawford

theBarzeen
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
my wife uses a single ply Overkill...... it works great for her...... I switched from a Titan BOSS shirt to the overkill and have since made a 50 lb meet PR and a 90 lb gym PR in a double ply, vs. the BOSS's triple just to give you an idea of how heavy this material is...... good stuff

muscle_g
01-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Is the Overkill a denim or poly shirt?

ct67_72
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
poly.

JK1
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
So Ive pretty much decided to play with both shirts and pick the one I like the best from there for my next meet. I had to work this weekend and was not feeling too good (GI issues) when it was time to train last night, but I was anxious to try the shirt. I got a stock size 58 A/S Super Katana. First impression: The shirt was too big. It went on easier than any closed back shirt I've ever tried on. The arms were tight, but I didn't have to dislocate my shoulders to get it on. I should have gotten a 56.

First weight in the shirt: 495 (this is typically my first weight in my other shirt, and not that far off from my RAW max). This weight came down easy, the groove was close to my natural groove. What suprised me is it touched without a problem at all. It came off my chest fast enough, but I could feel the shirt give out about half way up. I did 2 more sets of singles just to make sure that one wasn't a fluke.

Second weight in the shirt: 545. again, came off the chest ok, but I could feel the shirt give out half way up. I locked it without a problem (this is my current RAW 4 board working weight). I was having problems at that point of being really sick to my stomach. that didn't help matters any.

Third weight: 585. I missed this weight. Half way up, where I felt the shirt to start to give out I flexed my stomach hard to drive as I wsa flairing my elbows and I just about blew chunks all over the bench. I obviously missed this weight.

I'm going to have to get a better fitting shirt. I'm a bit surprised at what little I was getting from the Super Katana--less than 100 lbs with this one.

I'm talking with Rudy about the Overkill later this week.

ct67_72
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Got mine, hit my previous max in training Sunday no problem. Could have gone heavier but I had enough