PDA

View Full Version : Egg alternatives

Tru
05-01-2002, 06:39 AM
I'm getting sick of eggs, they're starting to taste really nasty (I even like Tuna better than eggs :))
Are there any altnernatives? I eat oatmeal with my eggs usually, but I mean for a protein source... Should I just take some whey?

Bobarell
05-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Whey is in no way a substitute for real food, especially eggs. Whey is also a different kinda protein than eggs. Eggs are a slow releasing protein and whey is fast releasing so you want to save the whey for post WO.

Just find different ways of cooking hte eggs. Maybe fry them up with some veggies mixed in. I put chopped onions/jalepenos or other thing. I use a half Jalepeno and a thin slice of onion chopped with 3 eggs. These are neglegible when adding carbs or anything else, but it adds great flavor.

Also, if you want to just cut them out than maybe you should just eat more tuna. I also think that there is Egg protein out there somewhere, but real food is still better.

GeneticallyGifted
05-01-2002, 12:36 PM
NO DON'T CUT THEM OUT AND DON'T MAKE ALTERNATIVES!!

MAKE THE SCARIFICE FOR YOU BODY AND YOUR GOALS!!

Not trying to scream atcha or preach to the congregation, but if you can get them down then do so...if you start hateing(sp) the taste get nose plugs or clamps it cuts off some of your taste buds. But don't kick something that is good for your diet.

Just my 2 cents

Freaky

Tru
05-01-2002, 02:43 PM
The yoke is the only part that I think tastes nasty.. I guess i'll eat it anyway :D

Behemoth
05-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Umm, I think most people (unless bulking or have a high BMR) cut out the yolks anyhow, at least I do. I just crack a few eggs into the skillet and use the sides of the shell to scoop the yolk out then fry the whites. As far as I know you don't lose any protein cutting out the yolks, just a fair amount of fat.

Bobarell
05-01-2002, 08:48 PM
The yolk of the egg is very important. It has very good fats and it does have about half of the protein of the complete egg. An egg white has 3.7g of protein while the whole egg has 7g.

Also, If you are eatingjust the whites why don't you get the premixed stuff. I know it is more expensive, but add up all of the eggs you use to make an EW meal and the price almost evens itself out, not to mention time wasted seperating

heathj
05-01-2002, 09:21 PM
What kind of eggs are you eating? Egg yolk makes up for 100% of the fat and cholesterol and about 20% of the protein.

Bobarell
05-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Food Name Cals Fat Carb Prot
Egg, yolk only, cooked 61 5 0 3
Egg, white only, cooked 16 0 0 3
Totals 77 5 1 6

Taken Straight off of fitday.com

The eggs that I get say 80 cals, 5 fat, 1 carb, 7 protein

sweet-physique
05-02-2002, 12:00 PM
I like eggs, but I guess I'v been tossing too many of the yolks. I think i'll start adding back in one yolk to every 6 eggs. I eat like a dozen eggs a day, but i've only been eating the whites.

What size eggs are these counts??? I usually get the extra large or jumbo.

Jane
05-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sweet-physique
I like eggs, but I guess I'v been tossing too many of the yolks. I think i'll start adding back in one yolk to every 6 eggs. I eat like a dozen eggs a day, but i've only been eating the whites.

What size eggs are these counts??? I usually get the extra large or jumbo.

Why not buy a dozen of eggs for the week and cartons of eggwhites? Or eggbeaters?

Bobarell
05-03-2002, 04:15 AM
The 80 cal ones that I get are EX large......

sweet-physique
05-03-2002, 06:48 AM
I like regular eggs, not the egg beaters or substitutes. First of all they taste blah, and your limited on preparation methods. I can eat regular eggs any way I feel like and select out how many yolks i want etc. Also you can boil them and take them anywhere and just chuck the yolks real easy. Plus there cheaper if you buy like the 18 or even the 36 packs at a wharehouse store.