PDA

View Full Version : Quick but Complicated Question

dishul156
12-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Is there a point where your body can't lose anymore weight or can your body adapt to a diet?
My stats right now are 160
5 9
Squat: 225
Deadlift: 250
Bench: 135
I knoo my bench is low

Over the last two years ive lost a total of 70 pounds now and now i weigh around 160.
Im about 5 9 too but i still have a gut. I have been trying to get rid of it and was trying for a 6 pack but i feel like id have to cut to 140 to get a 6 pack and that weight seems way to low.

Others have told me my body has adapated to my diet or that since I lost so much weight I need to bulk to gain muscle back. The bulk might also help my gains because for a while ive been getting very little gains Any help or comments would be apreciated

Editt ive also heard that you can bulk while still lowering your body fat percentage. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as well

cphafner
12-27-2009, 11:44 AM
yes your body adapts. You either need to lower your cals, increase your cardio, or both to keep losing weight.

dishul156
12-27-2009, 11:50 AM
My cals are already pretty low. Im getting 1600 - 1800 cals a day
I dont think i can hit my macros if i lower my calories further.
Would this be an indication to bulk?

cphafner
12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
It's not very complicated. If you aren't losing weight you are eating more calories than you are burning. My first response is the answer. This has nothing to do with the decision if it is time to bulk. That is up to you and your goals. Try reading this article.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128120

dishul156
12-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Ive read the article and it explained a lot. Thanks but when I was reading it i was unclear on how to bulk while still lowering your bodyfat percentage?

cphafner
12-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Ive read the article and it explained a lot. Thanks but when I was reading it i was unclear on how to bulk while still lowering your bodyfat percentage?

Thats a complicated and difficult task. It takes meticulous dieting. Use the search for recomposition.

dishul156
12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot. And im willing to go for it

J.C.
12-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I think that if you've been dieting a long time then your body gets reluctant to keep losing fat. Your metabolism drops and your hormone profile changes. At that point it may very well be worth increasing calories again and doing a bit of a refeed for a few weeks. This ought to make it easier to keep cutting.

Allen Cress
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Is there a point where your body can't lose anymore weight or can your body adapt to a diet?
My stats right now are 160
5 9
Squat: 225
Deadlift: 250
Bench: 135
I knoo my bench is low

Over the last two years ive lost a total of 70 pounds now and now i weigh around 160.
Im about 5 9 too but i still have a gut. I have been trying to get rid of it and was trying for a 6 pack but i feel like id have to cut to 140 to get a 6 pack and that weight seems way to low.

Others have told me my body has adapated to my diet or that since I lost so much weight I need to bulk to gain muscle back. The bulk might also help my gains because for a while ive been getting very little gains Any help or comments would be apreciated

Editt ive also heard that you can bulk while still lowering your body fat percentage. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as well

What tends to happen with most, and this happens alot with competitors, is that once their weight has plateaued they either decrease calories or do more steady state cardio, neither of which is the best thing to do. After dieting for a long period of time everything strats to down regulate such as leptin levels, thyroid output, etc... and this cause your metabolic rate to basically shut down and your body starts to hold onto to fat and even at times put it on. One possible solution is regular calorie spikes which causes everything to up regulate and basically get kick started again.

Remember steady state cardio only burns calories and doesn't help to increase your metabolic rate. Soo doing more and more will actually hinder your progress in the long run. MET and Hybrid training is a much better protocol to follow. Without a proper assessment its hard to be specific.

Chris Parker
12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
My cals are already pretty low. Im getting 1600 - 1800 cals a day
I dont think i can hit my macros if i lower my calories further.
Would this be an indication to bulk?

I think thats why your body is not getting enough calories to gain muscel and lose wieght try jogging/walking for an hour a day while still doing your benching etc. Just make sure your losing more calories then you put in. Also try eating throughout the day like breakfast snack lunch snack dinner snack that way your matabalism stays high. Good Luck!

teeroy
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
A relevant article to the subject. Part two looks like it will around high intensity training.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/fatloss_dummies.htm

I went through the same thing. I lost 30lbs running but then plateaued. That is when I started doing research to find that I need to put muscle on my body to increase my metabolism because I had atrophied my muslces with all the steady state running. So now I am building up my muscle mass and do some HIT stuff periodically. Probably in March I'll hit the HIT stuff hardcore to see what I can cut in 3-4 months. Right now I'm just focused on strength and muscle gain and am actually losing inches off my waist while maintaining the same weight.

I would say start out on Starting Strenght as that will hit the compound lifts to maximize your muscle gain and build your foundation. Once you build some muscle mass you can start cutting or you may just find that your gut will start shrinking on its own without doing a cut or at least by doing a minor cut like 100cals/day.