PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys use your captains of crush grippers (or similar) for grip training?

Cmanuel
12-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Got a set of CoC Grippers for Xmas (the #1, the trainer, and the guide). Just wondering how you guys use them to train for grip training? Looking for input on reps/sets/etc. I can BARELY close the #1 right now, and only once when i'm fresh.

Thanks!

Brian Hopper
12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I have some #150, #200, #250 Heavy Grips, and I pretty much just use these for my grip work. I always start with the #150 for 1x20 each hand, #200 for about 1x10 and then #250 for 2 sets for as many as I can which is usually 5-6 reps. Sometimes I will do drop sets with them and really get my forearms burning. Just play around with the reps and see what you like. Me and a buddy of mine would sometimes just squeeze the #150 for as long as we could. When I do grip work it's usually once or twice a week.

robchris
12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Cmanual,
Check out Ironmind.com they are the aurthority on grip training!

I generally do my grip training after my regular workouts x2 per week. Treat them just like you would a regular weightlifting workout... warm-up w/ a light gripper ie. (2x10-15) then sets of 3-5 as your work sets. Finally use a very challanging gripper that you cant quite close and make those sets your max attempts. If you're unable to completely close a particular gripper cheat it closed and do timed holds... I know that helped me close the 2 & 2.5 when I was struggling w/ them!

Hope this helps.
RC

muscle_g
12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
What training day would y'all put the grip work on?

Fuzzy
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I like using a 'westside' approach to them.

I'll do it twice a week, one is DE and the other is ME. After the speed session I also do some RE work with the T and 1.

JK1
12-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I like using a 'westside' approach to them.

I'll do it twice a week, one is DE and the other is ME. After the speed session I also do some RE work with the T and 1.
So are you doing 8 sets of 3 with the trainer for speed on the DE day and working up to a max hold on the ME Day?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either, so please don't take it that way. This is a new twist I haven't considered before.

Fuzzy
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
So are you doing 8 sets of 3 with the trainer for speed on the DE day and working up to a max hold on the ME Day?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either, so please don't take it that way. This is a new twist I haven't considered before.

Yeah, and it's working quite well. I know it sounds stupid but I just figured what do I have to lose by giving it a shot?

Buccos1
12-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Got a set of CoC Grippers for Xmas (the #1, the trainer, and the guide). Just wondering how you guys use them to train for grip training? Looking for input on reps/sets/etc. I can BARELY close the #1 right now, and only once when i'm fresh.

Thanks!

I usually do the grippers 2/week. I'll do 4-5 warm up sets then 3x1 with the #2. If I can't get the last one, I'll cheat close it and hold for a couple seconds. After the 3x1, I'll do the 1 for 8 reps.

Brian Hopper
12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
What training day would y'all put the grip work on?

I don't really have a set day, but I have done them on Wednesday's because I don't train on that day. I'll even do them on the weekend, just for fun.

douglasoh5
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
When i did do them i would do them for time...I think i held a #2 for like 45 seconds with my right hand once. and almost closed a #3 rite out of the package...it was a hair away..I got hairly large hands though..these type of things are more of an ego thing. cause i did this like 2 years ago and was weak as piss....a training partner of mine would barely do the #2 for 10 seconds yet i know for sure he could hold more weight on a dl than me.

Cmanuel
12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to use the input and try to come up with something in the next few days. I love these things! I can barely close the #1... a few months of working with these and no more grip issues!

Fuzzy
12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to use the input and try to come up with something in the next few days. I love these things! I can barely close the #1... a few months of working with these and no more grip issues!

The curve in unbelievable. I would stronggle to double overhand hold 380, after 4 weeks I did a laughabley easy 440 with nothing but chalk.