PDA

View Full Version : squat video critique.

brauny96
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey all, Im a new guy here, I usually post at t-nation .com, but I figured i try it here. Im 17, 220 pounds, and I have a 405 squat, 275x2 bench, and have deadlifted 470, although im far off frm there as of right now.

I have a squat video i would like to show yous and you could critique it, please do, its at youtube and my name is linemen96. i cant post it here for they wont let me.

jp2
12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Get 10 posts and then you can link it.

teeroy
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I'll post it for you since you can't yet.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/twqaZz-qCX0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/twqaZz-qCX0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'd say you're way high and need to get quite a bit lower.

SecondSucks
12-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Quite a bit high. Get lower and make sure you force your knees out throughout the whole lift.

brauny96
12-28-2009, 08:04 AM
really not that high, Yeah i can get down about 1 inch tops, but the depth isnt my main concern, I know what to look for, but I want a second opinion, My hips cave in, and I dont spread the floor good with my feet.

Cmanuel
12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
really not that high

Dude you are waayyy too high. Those are half squats. Man up and drop the weight, don't let your ego get in the way of hitting a good lift. No way on earth that would ever pass on the platform. Don't take this personally, I was once in the same boat about 2 years ago. I'd say fix your depth first and then move on to fixing other things.

Painzer
12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
really not that high, Yeah i can get down about 1 inch tops, but the depth isnt my main concern, I know what to look for, but I want a second opinion, My hips cave in, and I dont spread the floor good with my feet.

LOL, you ask for critiques, get them, then refute them. You're way high. Not just an inch. Try 6 inches or more. You apparently don't know what to look for if you think you're only an inch high. I usually don't knock depth too bad, but yours is bad. It's hard to even correct the rest of your form at that depth. I can tell you that you're lacking glute strength. Your knees already cave at that depth, I can't imagine what they'd do at parallel or below.
That squat wouldn't pass in ANY federation. If you're training to compete, lower the weight and make sure you hit the depth.

Painzer
12-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Chip, why you always gotta be stealin my thunder?!?!

Nicky
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Wow! Thanks teeroy for posting braunys vid. I feel great about my squat form and depth now, even if it is only 300lbs.

LocAss24
12-28-2009, 09:01 AM
That's pretty high.

Ruff Riff
12-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Looks a little high to me but still pretty strong looking hips, I would try and slow down a little, that kind of speed with heavier weight is a good way to break stuff....like muscles and tendons, joints...Putting a video on a site like this takes stones so good for you but listen to the adivce given and take what you need and move on...

good stuff:)

AdamBAG
12-28-2009, 09:11 AM
You have a monolift w/ spud straps etc. There must be other powerlifters that train at that gym. Go find them and have them teach you proper squat form.

byronsru24
12-28-2009, 09:18 AM
You have a monolift w/ spud straps etc. There must be other powerlifters that train at that gym. Go find them and have them teach you proper squat form.

x2

Drop the weight...a lot. And do them right

Athos
12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
After your first two reps are done your form starts to deteriorate and two things jump out at me 1) your lower back is weak, it almost looks like you are dropping into the start of a good morning at the bottom. Remember: head up, chest up, back arched hard. 2) As you begin to come back up, you bow your knees inward. Drop the weight down until you can keep your knees pushed out to the sides and come back up without bowing your knees. Whether or not you think you are one inch or six inches high, you're definitely squatting high. This isn't a knock on you, everyone is guilty of sacrificing depth for weight at some point in their career, myself included. You're in the gym and you're squatting, that's more than 99% of the population can say, so now it's time to iron out your mistakes and enjoy the gains that will come.

Morgan McPherson
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
There have been some really good points, I just wanted to add in my 2 cents. If your gym has a box, use that to find depth, or stack a bunch of 45# plates up. Also, I would ditch the knee wraps if you are doing multiple reps, because they are a tool that aids in your lift. Better to get the muscles strong, and then rely on wraps when the weights really get heavy. Also, when you start your lift push your butt back, don't drop "down". It seems like your dive bombing into the hole, which is pushing your knees forward and then catching yourself in the hole and going back up. Like other people have said, the whole lift needs to be controlled. I would start working with 135# and get the lift dialed and slowly work up. 5-3-1 is not going to work, unless you get realistic about your max. Sorry bro, your just not a 400# squater right now, but you will be one day soon!

ScottYard
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Training high only leads to even more problems

Its also impossible to critique some ones form with out them hitting paralell....B/c thats when the real technique errors show. Repost a vid with something lower and then some one can give you an honest assesment.

Ryan Celli
12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting this here.

You definitely want to get with a personal trainer or another successful powerlifter so they can teach you form. You are very strong, but your form is horrible.

And yes they are high. So, like Scott said, we need to see a video with you hitting proper depth in order to help you. I am willing to bet you will need to move your feet in closer to get that depth, you look pretty wide for just knee wraps.

I would also video it from the side from knee level.

So lighten the weight, bring your feet closer, squat to below or at least parallel, your knees shouldn't be out in front of your toes, try to sit back into the squat.

I hope this helps. Ryan

Beefcaker
12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
That's wayyy high.

On a side note, the other forums I get on (different hobby) would make a 14 page bash fest of you for arguing with the people whose opinions you asked for. If your teenagerness gets in the way of your gaining of knowledge, I am not sure why are here.

HeavyBomber
12-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Nothing to add but Damn NICE GYM!

EmptyBarbell
12-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree with all the above good tips to help you....mainly I recommend FOCUS on form first.....then watch your lbs increase!....like anything.. you need a GOOD base/foundation to begin with....it all starts with form....once you get that down you are moving forwardly positively!!...Good luck!!

joey54
12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Drop the weight by about 150 lbs. Listen to the advice of others here. And, you have a great facility to train in. Take advantage of that and the experienced lifters who have commented on your video.