PDA

View Full Version : Finally gonna start working with bands

Andre518
12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
My girlfriend got me a set of EFS Pro Mini Band for xmas. I plan to use them this Thursday on my light bench day (not WSB) I routine calls for me to do a last work set of 2x185x10 I was wondering what would be a good way of starting out using my bands would be. I was thinking of placing DB on the floor and wrapping the bands around the DB's once then on the bar and doing the band from an empty bar up to 185 or wrapping then around the DB once and the bar when I get up to my last work sets. I was also wondering how would I deterime about the weight of resistance at the top with them wrapped only once around the DB's. Also when should I start incorporating a double wrap to my bench? I hope this makes sense in what I am asking right now bands I really new to me and I do not have anyone that can help me in person so I have been trying to look as much up as I can on the net. Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend some info.

ehopkins932
12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Chart for the short bands is here: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/band_strength.htm

I think there in an on-going joke at elitefts that wendler loves being asked questions about band tension. Pretty sure he knows them though.

SecondSucks
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
If they're the full length bands from Elite, the mini's are ~40lbs tension at bottom and ~90lbs. at the top i believe. You'll want to put the band on the bar then pull it down under a dumbbell and then bring the other end back up onto the bar.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=10979&tid=101

Andre518
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks a lot second!

SecondSucks
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Forgot to add that with the mini on there you'll want to reduce the weight thats on the bar by 30-40lbs. So instead of 185 you'll have a bar weight of 145-155 + the mini.

Andre518
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks also the gym im gonna bench at on thursday the db only go up to 75lbs do you think they will be ok to use? Thanks again for all the help.

SecondSucks
12-28-2009, 12:00 PM
You could try, i know the rule of thumb is to atleast match DB weight with the tension at the top, but you could give the 75s a try still.

AdamBAG
12-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks also the gym im gonna bench at on thursday the db only go up to 75lbs do you think they will be ok to use? Thanks again for all the help.

Pretty sure that the "90 at the top" is referring to the tension put on the barbell by both bands combined. So you are talking 45lbs on each band. So a 75lb DB should work.

TravisMash
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
If you are supposed to go 185, when you add the bands then you will be way over that number. The big question that people have to ask is "Why?" Now I am not saying to not use the bands, but first you need to clarify why and how. All lifters need to ask those question! To many times we just do something because we want something new, but with bands the risk of injury slightly increases, so one needs to be careful. Anyway if you need help, let me know Bro!

petshaun
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I am having a terrible problem tucking my elbows when benching in my shirt....I have watched video and think I understand what I should be doing with my elbows once I start my descent.... however it just doesn't click... for one reason or another. .... am I correct it stating my elbows should take a direct downward path? similiar if I was doing seated cable rows? in which I pull my shoulder blades together and slide my elbows straight past my lats?... if correct.. what if anything can I practice to help me achieve this better?
Thanks!!

Robert Crawford
01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I got my Elite FTS short bands a few weeks ago. I love them. I'm using the black short band on my wrists when I train with an 81 cm. grip or a medium grip. When I bench with a narrow grip, I go to the orange short band.

You'll feel the muscles pulling from your spine out to your shoulder blades.

I wear wrist wraps, wrapped loosely, to protect my wrists from caffe.

Robert Crawford