PDA

View Full Version : Sugar

tryme
12-28-2009, 10:24 AM
How much sugar should you consume when bodybuilding. How much will be to much and will be stored as fat. I was told 10 tablespoons is max for an average person a day and was wondering if it would be the same for "us"

Progress
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't go by any daily value figures that the food industry suggests. They're pointless, especially for people doing heavy weight training.

Treat sugar as you would any other nutrient: consume it to fit your daily macros. This is to say that you should be aiming to meet your daily caloric suggestion while limiting the percentage of bad nutrients within that macro (sat and trans fats for dietary fat and fructose for dietary carbohydrate). Sugar (sucrose) or table sugar is roughly half glucose and half fructose. High fructose corn syrup is roughly the same ratio. Most fruit has a similar split but fruit is lower cal and includes dietary fiber. Bread, pasta, oats, grains in general are usually glucose unless sugar is added. Avoid fructose, especially in high amounts and when it is not included with dietary fiber.

In sum, eat enough carbs as your calculated macros delegate and limit the amount of fructose in those carbs. It's almost more important where the carb comes from, diet wise, than it does the amount as long as they fit within your macros.

Hope this helps.

tryme
12-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm having trouble working out my macros.

tom183
12-28-2009, 03:42 PM
^--What sort of trouble?

David Trantham
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
[b]stay away from processed sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need it!!!!!!!!!!!! If you do eat sugar it should be in moderation!!!! Stay away from all the corn syrups ,high furtose etc. I think if you eat some of the sucrose[ artifical sweeterns is ok for time to time ,try to eat fruits and vegs, getting the natural sugars is all you need! Every now an then if you eat dessert its ok to get those craving out of the way. In general try to stay away from processed foods.b]

twm
12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
david, how do you feel about dextrose? I take it prewo with some other stuff

tryme
01-04-2010, 06:22 AM
to put it mildly i don't know how to figure out my macros.

David Trantham
01-04-2010, 07:20 AM
david, how do you feel about dextrose? I take it prewo with some other stuff

personally i don't use dextrose, waxy maize, etc pre or post workout. mostly i just do some type of protein w/complex carb for my preworkout. my post workout i use nitrean,and opticen for atlargenitrition. you could use a protein and complex carb such as oatmeal. personally i just don't like all the sugars, i just think they make you gain weight to fast, which i think is mostly fat.