PDA

View Full Version : ETS and Mulit Plus

Hwyman
12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Are these two ok to be taken together in the same day? I ask since each contain 30 mg of zinc. 60 mg is less than an acute overdose which I think starts at 150 mg, but I seem to remember reading that more than 40 mg a day can lead to chronic overdose since the zinc is retained in the body and can build up over time. Of course that 40 mg number was probably in reference to the "average, sedentary adult" so that number might be higher for an active adult.

starfox
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
You will be fine, don't worry about it.

jp2
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I was under the impression that your body would take it's fill, and then pee the rest out.

Hwyman
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I was under the impression that your body would take it's fill, and then pee the rest out.

No...that's only true for water-soluble vitamins. From Wikipedia:

"Vitamins are classified as either water-soluble or fat soluble. In humans there are 13 vitamins: 4 fat-soluble (A, D, E and K) and 9 water-soluble (8 B vitamins and vitamin C). Water-soluble vitamins dissolve easily in water, and in general, are readily excreted from the body, to the degree that urinary output is a strong predictor of vitamin consumption.[17] Because they are not readily stored, consistent daily intake is important.[18] Many types of water-soluble vitamins are synthesized by bacteria.[19] Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of lipids (fats). Because they are more likely to accumulate in the body, they are more likely to lead to hypervitaminosis than are water-soluble vitamins."

I believe most (if not all) minerals such as iron and zinc are retained in the body as well and can build up over time to toxic levels if the amount you ingest is greater than the amount utilized by the body. This is why "healthy" guys should not take supplements with iron since you get all the iron you need from a regular, meat-loving diet.

jp2
12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
No...that's only true for water-soluble vitamins. From Wikipedia:

"Vitamins are classified as either water-soluble or fat soluble. In humans there are 13 vitamins: 4 fat-soluble (A, D, E and K) and 9 water-soluble (8 B vitamins and vitamin C). Water-soluble vitamins dissolve easily in water, and in general, are readily excreted from the body, to the degree that urinary output is a strong predictor of vitamin consumption.[17] Because they are not readily stored, consistent daily intake is important.[18] Many types of water-soluble vitamins are synthesized by bacteria.[19] Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of lipids (fats). Because they are more likely to accumulate in the body, they are more likely to lead to hypervitaminosis than are water-soluble vitamins."

I believe most (if not all) minerals such as iron and zinc are retained in the body as well and can build up over time to toxic levels if the amount you ingest is greater than the amount utilized by the body. This is why "healthy" guys should not take supplements with iron since you get all the iron you need from a regular, meat-loving diet.

Ok that makes sense. I guess thats why the chick at the store reccomended I buy the iron-free vitamins...