PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on squatting

devinvanderhoof
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
so i got some questions and hopefully someone can point out something i havent already thought of.
first off im 6'2" compete around 270
only have one meet under my belt, im very new to this and havent been training all that long for powerlifting ( been lifting for about 10 years)
my current best gym lift for squat is 515 with 100lbs of chain.
and best gym deadlift is 635

now thats out of the way onto my problem
i suck at squatting. i dont have a video yet but i will as of this sunday so i will post it up asap.

i have no problem hitting depth with a stance about 10-12 inches wider than my shoulders, if i go wider i feel like i can handle more weight but my hips are on fire. if i go any narrower i cant hip depth. i have tried quite a bit of different approaches but to no avail i cant gain a friggen ounce on my squat. im very strong at the top of the squat but very slow off the bottom. like to the point where it looks like im about to eat a sandwich in the hole.
once i get it moving off the bottom im fine but in the hole im dead.

the opposite for my deadlift, i can rip 700 off the ground just cant lock it out. also i deadlift very narrow.
so any and all advice is much appreciated.

thank you in advance

slashkills
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
What kind of routine do you follow? If your hips are killing you with that stance look into getting some briefs or lower the weight and move your stance in. If you still have trouble hitting depth it could be a flexibility issue. Box squats below parallel, GHRs, and stiff legged deadlifts are great posterior chain builders that can help boost your squat. Ive also had great success on matt rhodes raw squat routine.For locking out your deadlift try throwing some chains or bands on the bar or doing rack pulls.

devinvanderhoof
12-28-2009, 03:39 PM
as for rountine sunday is squat and deads, then some upper back work on friday.
well my hips are ok with my stance at 10-12 inches wider than shoulders, but any wider my hips hurt.
as for getting into briefs i want to continue to lift raw, so that is kinda outta the question.
we usually squat off a box a little below parralel.
i dont have a ghr at my gym but am thinking about buying one, or building one.
ill have to search for the matt rhodes squat rountine.
as for the deadlift i use bands in all my deadlifts and every other week i do some rack pulls to try to help the lockout, my best is around 735 for a couple.
i have zero speed off the bottom of my squat and it is super annoying cause my lifting partner is a damn freak, here i am at 275 squatting 500 and he weighs 198 and triples 635 with chains. so i need to figure something out cause its getting embarrising.

slashkills
12-28-2009, 04:02 PM
when you box squat do you sit back enough and pause for a short time or do you just touch and go back up? Have you tried chain suspended squats? What do you work up to on your squat/ deadlift days? singles, triples, heavier sets than that?

I was weak in the hole and my squat was stalled for like 6months and then i ran this routine twice and boosted my squat 60lbs.

matt rhodes routine is simple its something like
week 1 work up to 5rm
week 2 work up to new 5rm
week 3 hit new PR
week 4 deload if needed
week 5 work up to 3rm
week 6 work up to new 3rm
week 7 hit new PR

all straight weight free squats. For acc. hit the posterior chain for sets of 8-12 w/ 1-2 movements like stiff legged deadlifts, good mornings, etc. I think it would be a good idea to deadlift for higher reps as assistance work every couple weeks.

Also, look up and really think about pushing through the floor when you squat. Those are some basic things that really helped me out.

Captain_Crunch
12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Are you from Vanderhoof BC? If so a group of us train in PG which isn't that far.

devinvanderhoof
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
on my lighter sets i usually pause on the box, but once it gets heavy i touch and go. i have never tried or even thought of doing chain suspended squats that sounds pretty nuts. i usually work up to a heavy single or double for squat then back down to a 75% triple or double on the deads with about 40-50 lbs of band tension on the top of the deads. for assistance work i usually do deficit deads or cambered bar good mornings. every squat/dead routine is finished off with some sort of hamstring work for 3-4 sets of 12-15.

im about 6 and a half weeks out from my nest week so maybe ill give that a shot till the time comes for the meet.
and i know for a fact i always seem to look down when i start coming out of the hole. and i have no idea why cause i really try to concentrate on that too.
thanks alot for the advice.

and no im not from vanderhoof i didnt even know that was a town. thats actually my last name. but thanks for the offer im in pennsylvania. guess i should update my info

Sensei
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't know if anything here will help you, but it's worth a look IMHO: http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/09/16/deadlift-stud-squatting-dud/

ScottYard
12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Get rid of the chain work and the box for a while and get your hips in shape. For a Raw guy chain and band work can be a hinderance it takes the work away from your hips due to the over load at the top.

I personally dont do any box squatting b/c it gives me zero carry over to my raw squat, and just teaches me bad tendencies.

Do some Ultra wide sumos after you squat to really work your hips to bring them up.