PDA

View Full Version : MRI Question?

ScottYard
12-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Whos had one and what happens?

I have to get 2 tomorow and I dont know what to expect.

1 Regular one and then one with Die injected.

How long does it take? Can you sleep?

StLRPh
12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Scott,

I had one for my back. It was about 30 minutes long and I dosed the whole time. Some loud clicking type sounds and depending on what they're looking at your might feel a little claustrophobic. I just put a towel over my eyes and relaxed.

I've seen people come into the pharmacy for stuff like Xanax if they are claustrophobic or anxious.

Length of time varies based on what is being scanned you could probably call the imaging center to get an idea.

good luck,

matt

Guido
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I had one before and they injected me with the dye stuff (well, it was really IV thing attached to my forearm the whole time). Laying there itself was not bad, just lots of noises. I almost fell asleep. It really wasn't that bad.

Justin R
12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I have had a few and have been able to sleep before. The noises are a a bit loud, but every place I have been gave me good over ear headphones with chill music to drown it out. Its a bit of a tight fit for broad shouldered people, but not terrible. If your claustrophobic your Dr should be able to give you something to relax. The duration depends on how what they scan. My knee took about 30 min, but my head scan seemed like an hour or so.

JK1
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Scott, at your size (I'm a heavier than you I think, but you are a few inches taller than I am) make damned sure they scheduled you to be in an "OPEN" MRI if they are doing anything on your upper body (ie shoulder, neck, etc). I had to have a brain MRI done a couple of years ago when I had the whole brain tumor scare. The first time they tried, some idiot scheduled me for a "normal" MRI machine. I basically got stuck in it, wedging my shoulders nice and tight. That concerned me quite a bit (ie I freaked just a little bit) and we didn't do it that day. I was rescheduled with an "Open" MRI, which, I don't know how they define open, it sure as hell not how I define it. My nose and chest had what seemed to be about 1/2 an inch of clearance. I can be pretty claustrophobic, so that wasn't a good position for me to be in. I ended up praying and trying to control my breathing so I didn't piss myself. Luckily I maintained bladder control. Make sure you go pee first.

The contrast feels funny when they inject it. I could feel it entering my vein, kind of a cool, metalic, flushing sensation. Then I was too busy trying not to freak out to be worried about it.

When it was all done I ended up being a bit pissed the technician wouldn't let me see the images immediately after they were done, which was a personal issue. I figure if I can identify a brain tumor on a rat or a bird patient of mine, I should be able to see one on myself. I had to wait for "processing".

JJ33
12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Definitly find out if it s a open mri machine.I had to be rescheduled my go round b/c it wasn t and my shoulders wouldn t fit.LOLJust close your eyes and daydream while they are taking the pics.Nothing to it.

1400total
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
depending on what the MRI is taking pictures of you may have to wear some type of sling to keep you arm in a certain position. When I had an MRI for my rear delt I had to lay in different positions. One MRI may not be enough depending on your injury. I have also had MRI for my headaches and in those I ended up sleeping since all i had to do is lay there.

bottom line it shouldn't be all that discomforting.

slashkills
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Im pretty small so i had no issues fitting in the machine. It took about 40min just because i kept moving my head and messing up the image. They are pretty loud so if you can sleep w/ that noise shoot for it. all you do is lay there the whole time.

EmptyBarbell
12-30-2009, 06:32 AM
I've had 3 of them prior to the doc determining my rotator cuff was torn....they were all performed in what is called an OPEN MRI... it was like a shelf that hung over a bed... the bed moves so I was slid under the 'shelf' and raised up....my arm was propped up using unique pieces of foam... the MRI itself wasnt bad.. just felt like forever!!... it's like sticking your head in a 55 gal. drum and someone on the outside taking a hammer and striking it!... repeatedly. .slow. then faster...it gets more annoying than anything at least to me....when I was completed I also asked to look at the images... the tech did let me take a peep but when I asked if my rotator cuff looked torn. she stated she was not allowed to respond to that ?.. because she was only a 'tech' and therefore she could not make any dignosis. duh....

JSully
12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I had an MRI done on my knee a few years ago.. At the time I was a bounced as well as worked my primary job. I got home around 3am that night so it was pretty easy for me to fall asleep in the MRI machine. Luckily, it was my knees that went in the machine and nothing else as it would have been a tight fit. They told me I couldn't move, which made me anxious and wanted to move, lol.. I think the thing I was most worried about was my elbow, I had reconstructive surgery on it and have lots of plates, screws, pins etc in it.. once the machine turned on and my elbow didn't disintegate, I was fine and fell asleep.

The noise it makes is annoying though.. emptybarbell hit the nail on the head with the 55 gallon drum and hammer..

ScottYard
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. heres how it panned out.

Well I had my MRI today. The first was a arthragram (sp?). Let me tell you a little bit about going to a small hospital. Sometime s they run out of ****. Basically this MRI is an x ray of your joint while itís being filled with Die. They put a needle in your chest while youíre lying down and put it in your shoulder joint. The good thing is they numb you up first with a few shots of lidocane. The bad thing is the numbing shot needle was only half the length of the die needle b/c they ran out of longer needles in that gage. So basically my skin and pec was numb but the actual joint was not. Iím not going to lie, that needle hitting my joint was not agonizing but damn it wasnít tickling either. The ****er was huge!!!! But itís cool, she did apologize for not being able to numb me properly lol. Once the Die needle was in they had to go find a Dr to supervise the injection. Of course no Dr is available and I had to wait 10 minutes with the needle in my chest.

So Iím told that Iím a good sport blah blah blah and then I get taken to the regular MRI room. As soon as I walk in the guy goes. How much do you weight again? I tell him 270 and he goes, "HuHĒ And I go "HuH" What. And he says ďtell me your not claustrophobicĒ Luckily Iím not so they squeeze me in the machine, and tell me this may take a while b/c this machine is way too small for you. Basically every other picture they had to redo b/c the shoulders were rounded in the machine. None the less the whole experience sucks but on January 5th ill know what the dealio is.

The funniest thing about the whole thing is this. Once the do the Arthragram they say, Now donít let your arm go stiff. It will become very painful, and to keep it moving. After they tell me that they shove me in the MRI machine for 45 still minutes......WTF!

Athos
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Actually you were a good sport, most people wouldn't be so cool about doctors going MIA, not being properly numbed (wtf?) and being stuffed into a machine like that. Oh well, at least it makes for a good story.