PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form Critique

gatorman2k6
12-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Just started deadlifting again due to a knee injury, so I'm starting light and working my way back. This is my second week using this semi-sumo stance and I feel my form is better with it. I did 345x5 over the summer conventional, but I feel my form is a lot better with this stance. Let me know what you guys think.

1st set of 190x5:

zYr-xzmXV4I

3rd set of 190x5:

DlSOBzvlfjg

EDIT: Also, what accessory work do you recommend to bring up any weaknesses I may have. From what I can tell, I mainly need to work on hamstrings and hips to help with leg drive.

2kool
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
you deadlift similar to me. i would say maybe dropping your back end a bit lower to really push up and back through your heels. its kinda like you drop it down but then when you start the pull it comes up too quickly, putting more of the lift onto your back. other than getting your legs under it more, it looks good to me.

slashkills
12-30-2009, 07:05 PM
good mornings, defecit sumo deads, GHR(maybe you can ghetto rig something), paused box squats if you start squatting again, sldl

those are just some things of the top of my head for the posterior chain

-JM-
12-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you have a video of your conventional pulls?

That looks a little awkward at the minute, especially with your knees moving in and out. You may run into diffs once you add more weight. You could try dropping your hips just enough that you can comfortably grip the bar. Use the length of your arms as much as you can. No need to dip your hips so much on each rep.

Bummer about the knee injury. GL working back up.

gatorman2k6
12-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Do you have a video of your conventional pulls?

That looks a little awkward at the minute, especially with your knees moving in and out. You may run into diffs once you add more weight. You could try dropping your hips just enough that you can comfortably grip the bar. Use the length of your arms as much as you can. No need to dip your hips so much on each rep.

Bummer about the knee injury. GL working back up.

Yeah, I'll post one of the videos of my conventional pull. Conventional put more stress on my back, and this semi-sumo puts more stress on my knees, I guess I just can't find a comfortable stance.

gatorman2k6
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Here is a video from over the summer of my conventional pulling. I had posted this on here and got the recommendations of lower hips, chest out, and more arch. Basically, I was an all lower back conventional puller, which lead to an injury. Here is 290x9:

-yE-erjkkvw

-JM-
01-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Chest up and hips down will help your back to stay arched. You are kinda hunched over the bar.

Your hybrid stance does look better so far. Its just what might happen once you add weight? You definately keep your back much straighter.

gatorman2k6
01-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Chest up and hips down will help your back to stay arched. You are kinda hunched over the bar.

Your hybrid stance does look better so far. Its just what might happen once you add weight? You definately keep your back much straighter.

Thanks Flynn! Yeah, I'm hoping that by taking the weights slow, I can keep my form as the weights get heavier. I plan on doing linear progression, with 5lbs increases to keep it nice and slow. I'll post vids every so often too, to make sure form isn't breaking down. Thanks again for the tips.