PDA

View Full Version : Hernia or abdominal strain?

bedada
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi, I'm more of a bodybuilder than powerlifter, but because of my small frame I have to lift heavy at times. About a month ago I was doing dumbell curls with a belt on and I felt a little twinge about two inches below my naval and and inch over. It felt like I just strained the muscle a bit. I was not lifting super heavy but was distracted a bit and it threw my breathing off. I have barely noticed it since then, but yesterday I felt the same twinge so I pressed on it and it felt a little sore, but I did not feel any bulging in the area. It would be easy to notice a bulge since I have very little fat in the area. I have been lifting for over 20 years and the only time I had a strained abdominal was from doing leg lifts with weights attached. Is it possible to strain my abdominal from doing a curl?

Thank you and happy new year.

Kiaran
12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
You can strain your abs doing anything really. All it takes is higher intra abdominal pressure than what your core can support. Sounds like a slight pull to me. If you are worried, go have a doc check you out. Pulls can take many weeks, sometimes months to heal.

SCOTT GEE
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I have had a hernia,so after a few days after i injured the area.
I cupped the injured area(with my hands) and held my breath,and a swelled up knot appeared.
So after seeing that i had to have the doc double check,once it was confirmed set up surgery.

That was in 1991 other than being gun shy at times (esp the first year) it held up and i think the old side is stronger than the good area.