PDA

View Full Version : Novus and PSMF

Beavereater
12-30-2009, 05:50 AM
A problem I have (And the reason for stock piling Novus bars) is that one of the meds I take (SSRI) has me crave something sweet (When I'm not at all a desert person to begin with). It usually happens in the middle of the night (While asleep) or just as I wake up in the morning. It's not a hunger at all, it's a need to get something sweet in my mouth. While zero cal soda has helped, Novus does a nice job (It's filling and a good starting snack to the day).

Now that I am on the PSMF I had a question about the NET carb label. While it says only 3 net carbs, what exactly happens to the other carbs? With the PSMF limiting fat and carbs to 3-5 grams per meal (3-5 meals a day) would a Novus bar fit?

Lones Green
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
The type of carbs in the bar have little impact on insulin. When you subtract the carbohydrates that come from maltitol and the fiber, that leaves you with impact on your body's insulin levels of 3g of carbs.

JSully
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
There are 2 ways to look at this.

From a standard PSMF standpoint, the bar has 31g of carbs and 6g of fat with 330 total calories. The point of PSMF is to achieve the lowest calories possible while still sparing protein loss. I would say no, that does not fit the PSMF description.

On the other hand, there the bulletpoint of how it will affect your blood sugar. Malitol is the sugar alcohol associated with the novus bars which does not raise blood sugar. There is a sugar alcohol that still affects blood sugar minutely, but I really can't remember what it was and don't feel like doing the research right now. Since there is no blood sugar spike and no insulin spike, I wouldn't see an issue with it using it while keeping calories, carbs specifically, very low.

I personally wouldn't use this in conjunction with a PSMF, but if you're aching for some cals then there's no real issue with having one. Maybe do a little extra cardio to burn off those nighttime cals. Truthfully, you're in so much of a deficit with PSMF, that this will probably not even slow you down at all. You just can't call it a strict PSMF anymore if you go having one of these everyday.

my $.02