PDA

View Full Version : squatting with a belt..

thewicked
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
do you guys push out against the belt hard during the squat or just wear it and stay tight? I do so much WITHOUT the belt that when I put it on I just keep my core tight but am curious as to how many people actually push out against it.

BFGUITAR
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I just keep my core flexed and naturally it pushes against the belt.

Kiaran
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I wear mine tight enough that when I take a huge breath of air and tighten up, my abs are pushing out against my belt. At the top, it's not as helpful, but as pressure increases down into the hole, my abs are pressing pretty hard against the belt. This is where it is most useful to me.

SELK
12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't do my belt that tight in the squat, but I try to push my stomach out as hard as possible through the whole rep, I envision breaking the lever off my belt. When I teach someone to squat I usually tell them to make their gut as big as humanly possible, and imagine doing that through the whole lift.

JK1
12-30-2009, 06:57 PM
push out and push hard.

Brian C
12-30-2009, 09:33 PM
push out and push hard.

this

mastermonster
12-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I push out into the belt. I do something a little different than most. I get my breath with my air in the belly (like most). I maintain that as I lower and start up. About 1/2 way up I transition from the bellowed belly to shifting the tightness to the chest and lats (essentially expanding and tightening them). This seems to help me lock the squat out more solidly. The later is not really a conscieous thing. Just what I've notice has evolved as I squat.

SecondSucks
12-30-2009, 11:59 PM
I leave it loose enough so i'm able to bee tight once i get a stomach full of air and push out.