PDA

View Full Version : Need a good cue for driving from the legs on my deadlifts

teeroy
12-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Like most people, I used to GM like crazy on my squats when I first started doing them. Other than lots of practice and stretching, one of the things that really helped me was reading a post on here where somebody suggested using the cue to "drive the bar straight up." I started using the cue for myself and it was almost like magic in the way it helped me keep my arch tight and drive the bar up instead of GM'ing. Funny how something simple like that can have such a big impact.

I've been fighting this issue with my deadlift for a long time where my hips raise first which then causes me to be too far bent over by the time the bar comes off the ground and I hardly get any leg drive. I'm sure it's not good for my back either.

So I was wondering if anyone has any good cues they like for the deadlift in regards to driving with the legs and not raising the hips?

Also, any other suggestions you have in regards to helping fix the issue with the hips raising first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JSully
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
practice deads with a deficit. I do 4-6" deficit deads pretty often as I am weak off the floor. The high deficit forces you to really drop your hips and put your legs into it. After a few sessions of this, you'll start dropping your hips more on your regular deadlift as well. I also use the "cue": pull back, drive the hips.

Right before I rip it up, I drop down low enough for the inside of my biceps to touch the top of the outside of my thighs..

hope that helps some

BFGUITAR
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Just keep pushing through the floor the entire time. Never stop pushing and the problem will be fixed. I tended to finish my legs before my hips screwing me up. All I had to do to fix this was keep pushing and never stopping.

mr handy
12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
This Is exactly the thread I needed to see. I thought I was doing good on my DL and then I decided to video my DL last time I did them. I was basically doing straight leg D-lifts and by back was rounding pretty badly. I will have to focus on pulling back and driving. I'm pretty sure I do the same thing on PC's.

I will have to try the straight up cue on squats. I think I need to narrow my stance a little as well, I think it will help keep my knees in the right place.

Lones Green
12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
A better cue would be "Pull back."

You want to pull back instead of "pulling straight up."

This will help you keep your butt down

teeroy
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be using these.

Time for some bloody shins!!! :evillaugh: