PDA

View Full Version : Alchohol...

Blaine Masters
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM

pandospace
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
well depends on your matabolism and your alcohol tolerannce

in honesty i made a lot of progress as an alcoholic (young and dumb years 21-23 year old)

i probably would be a lot better of if i hadnt and id rather not deal with the hang overs now adays

jp2
12-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Ideally you don't want to consume any alcohol, but if you limit it to say 3 or 4 beers one night a week I doubt you'll notice any difference. If you wanna go out with your buddies and get smashed, just don't do it more than once every 2 or 3 weeks, you should be fine. I happen to love beer myself.

tnathletics2b
12-31-2009, 05:25 AM
I can't find a reference online (I actually read it in a real book!), but Tom House, MLB pitching coach and Nolan Ryan's personal mentor, said from his personal experience of being around partying Major League Baseball players and seeing things as a player and coach, that he equated 3 or more drinks with an extra day of recovery time needed. Of course, these are MLB players, throwing 95, stretching singles into doubles, being at the field for 5 or 6 hours at a time, playing 162 games, so it could be a little different due to their demanding physical load.

But the thought is the same, I think. Alcohol will only hinder your gains, and will never help them progress, so what's the point?

skinny99
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Ideally you don't want to consume any alcohol, but if you limit it to say 3 or 4 beers one night a week I doubt you'll notice any difference. If you wanna go out with your buddies and get smashed, just don't do it more than once every 2 or 3 weeks, you should be fine. I happen to love beer myself.

This ^^^

I usually have a once a month bender! If I am gonna drink normally I try to do it on a Friday so I prob won't still be affected when I lift on Monday (SS).

I am not competing so if I wanna go out and have good time I am gonna! One of my goals in life is to have fun! Training hungover is horrible!

Skalami
12-31-2009, 06:33 PM
free radicals in your blood are bad, they (im not quite sure how or why) slow down muscle growth. Vitamin A, C and E are anti oxidants if you take them they cut down on the free radicals in your body. Your body produces a lot of free radicals after lifting, so wouldnt taking an antioxidant post workout help you? NOPE, giving your body that extra assist isnt good as the body responds better (for the most part) when it fights its own battles.

Im thinking the same holds true (in a reverse order) for getting drunk, being drunk inhibits you and your bodies CNS responses, but you tax your system a little bit here and there and your body will be the stronger for it. People that get sick when their kids have better immune systems when theyre older, people that break bones in their body typically have a higher tolerance for pain.

sorry i know im rambling but what the hell im posting this

jp2
12-31-2009, 07:39 PM
This ^^^

I am not competing so if I wanna go out and have good time I am gonna! One of my goals in life is to have fun!

Everyone should have this goal.....you only live once!

soclydeza
01-04-2010, 06:43 AM
How much beer would you say is acceptable if i am to do SS? Because i want at least 1 - 2 nights a week of drinking...

im not sure if this is completely true but i read it somewhere and it makes sense: when you drink, your body recognizes the alcohol as a toxin so it puts its priority into metabolizing it. this takes away from metabolizing the foods you eat to help your muscles grow. not only that, but your also filling yourself with empty calories. so i usually look at it as a very poor nutrition day when i drink. a few beers probably isnt going to hurt anybody, but as for getting hammered, try to limit how ofter you do it. id say maybe once every few weeks but if your young and have that itch to let loose, then try to keep to a day a week, on the weekend. a few rules i have for myself when i drink is:

1) never drink on the same day you workout
2) never drink the night before a workout day
3) for every shot, take a sip of water. for every beer take a few gulps of water
4) EAT, when drinking i sometimes forget to eat so i gotta remind myself

Beavereater
01-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Someone with more knowledge could probably answer this, but to add to the discussion: Do alcohol calories get used entirely? After X amount of beers we all have a point where we release the 'flood gate' and then ever beer after that it's just constantly going to the toilet. Also, doesn't the body heat up when drinking? Would this somehow affect the amount of calories being consumed?

tom183
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

Mercuryblade
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Everyone is different. You have to take studies about alcohol with a grain of salt because the amount of alcohol used is often in very high levels, and as we all know, substances do not always act 1:1 in the body. Things can react totally differently at higher levels that they do at lower levels.

There is a lot of conflicting data about alcohol intake, and the only real consensus that most medical professionals will agree upon, is that chronic heavy alcohol use can be damaging to the body.

It's true that alcohol really puts a strain on your liver, and that all the excess urination is going to flush some good stuff out of your body. But keep in mind how plastic your body is. If you forget to take your multivitamin one day, or only get in 30g of protein, you aren't going to wake up the next day with scurvy or lose 10lbs of lean muscle mass.

I drink heavily once per week (and very occasionally twice). I really watch my macros during the week, and I eat really healthy (lots of healthy fats, vegetables, fruits, protein etc.)

Lets say, hypothetically that you get smashed on a Saturday night. Assume worst case scenario and that you will be intoxicated for 8 hours. Also, lets assume worst case scenario, and assume that your body has reached the definition of "acute" alcohol intoxication the second you start drinking. There are 168 hours per week, and at 8 hours this means that for 4.8% of the week your liver is not functioning properly. Also for the sake of argument, I'm assuming that the liver will return to 100% function when acute intoxication ceases.

Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations and anecdotal experiences I can say that I still see results with drinking heavily once per week.

I also am only 24 years old and doubt that I will be drinking like this 10 years from now. These brief periods of intoxication will end up taking up such a small fraction of my life that there are probably more important things for me to worry about.

If you take good care of yourself and don't have any health conditions, I wouldn't think twice about drinking heavily once per week, I would consider maybe not getting fully intoxicated two nights in a row though.

J.C.
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
how much beer? i think itz ridiculous qn from u..alcohol s always injurious to health.by taking occasionally means,getting vitamins of the B group and in minerals such as magnesium.other than that it will increase blood pressure,heart burn,Intoxication & Dehydration.

Ugh, what a horribly written reply.

if you limit it to say 3 or 4 beers one night a week I doubt you'll notice any difference. If you wanna go out with your buddies and get smashed, just don't do it more than once every 2 or 3 weeks, you should be fine. I happen to love beer myself.

I also like beer. Moderation is key.

Alcohol will only hinder your gains, and will never help them progress, so what's the point?

Beer tastes nice. At least proper beer does. (If you're drinking bud light then you should definitely stop until you find a better choice.) Alcohol relaxes you, can make social situations more fun, goes well with food, is a nice reward and in small doses has minimal side-effects. Not everything is about the gym you know.

I am not competing so if I wanna go out and have good time I am gonna! One of my goals in life is to have fun! Training hungover is horrible!

^^^You win the best comment of the thread award.

It will all boil down to so many factors, but if you're sensible, or at least don't have a complete bender twice a week, its not going to make that much difference.

Personally I drink about 1-2 pints a night because I brew my own beer. It makes no difference to my training and its a very nice way to unwind. But I only drink more on very infrequent occasions.

VikingWarlord
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Did I really just see the word "injurious" in a reply?

Alcohol is never going to help you reach your goals. If you want to be a hardliner, don't drink. If you drink and you start seeing lots of adverse results, don't do it anymore.

I might kill a fifth of vodka tonight. 30th birthday's this weekend and I need to get my conditioning up.

JSully
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I might kill a fifth of vodka tonight.

This used to be me, pre-gaming it for when I went out.

I was an alcoholic, quit cold turkey 9 months ago.. I still get cravings, but it's better than drinking myself stupid every time I take a sip.

To the OP, I say drink however much you want and evaluate yourself from there. If you're getting good results, why change anything?

Chris Parker
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
its fine if you drink it with smartness. You dont wanna go out partying get drunk, and then hget hungover and go to the gym the next day.

Detard
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
its fine if you drink it with smartness. You dont wanna go out partying get drunk, and then hget hungover and go to the gym the next day.

I hit a raw squat PR on a tuesday morning @8am before work, hungover as hell.

Everyone is different.

Mercuryblade
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I hit a raw squat PR on a tuesday morning @8am before work, hungover as hell.

Everyone is different.

I find that hitting the gym is one of the best hangover cures ever.

EDIT: I just noticed that Chris Parker is 14. I couldn't get hangovers at that age, and I even if I did, I didn't drink frequently enough that it would've been something to be concerned with.

TXslapshot
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
wow im suprised we dont have more drinkers on this site, seeing as the marijuana thread is through the roof with replies.