PDA

View Full Version : Knee wrap thread.

SEOINAGE
12-30-2009, 07:37 PM
What are your favorite knee wraps>?
Looking at picking up a pair of something that will give me some decent carry over without being too rigid or not do enough.
My raw squat is approaching 500 lbs, and soon will be over it, what would you recommend>?
Also do must federations allow 3 meter wraps?

I could use a little advice, but also curious for yourself what your favorite wraps are.

SELK
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I dont think any fed allows 3ms.

The best I have used are the APT convict (which I think elite now sells the same wrap under their name). Its hard to say how much I get out of them, but I suspect its at least 70lbs. They are pretty badass. I wouldn't be surprised to get near 100lbs out of them if you are a raw squatter.

I also have used the ATP 'the wrap' and didn't like them. Way to much wrap and pretty much impossible to get a good tight wrap with them. Strangulators are decent wraps, but I think the convict gives more carryover.

george okunev
12-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I have started on the titanium wraps from titan. they didnt last too long. I gave up on them after 3 or 4 months i think. I now use APT "The Wraps 3XH". They are a very stiff wrap. They do soften up after a few sessions. I almost gave up on them but after 5 or 6 sessions they started to become managable. I have been using them for 3 months now. More and more people at my gym are converting to them. I start using them from 300lbs and tighten them up as the weight goes up. We have a guy who is aproaching 800lbs raw who used mine for a training session and he loved them. But they will require abit of work at first. Any of APT gear is top notch though. Good luck.

mastermonster
12-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I love Titan's Improved THP Wraps. I thought the original THPs were unbeatable til I got the new ones. The only other wraps I've tried are Inzers Z wraps and APT's Convicts which were freebies at a meet. I tried the Convicts and didn't like them and gave them to a training partner. If, for whatever reason; you don't want a lot out of the wraps then the THPs may be more wrap than you are looking for. If you want great support and max carry-over you can't go wrong with them.

IronDiggy
12-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Started out on Inzers in training, loved em. My first meet I lifted in Titan titaniums which felt prettymuch the same as the Inzers. Now I got RPM's I am just itching to bust out and try.

Lones Green
12-31-2009, 03:11 AM
The SPF allows for 3M wraps. I use 3M ZRV wraps. Need a new pair, but just kinda lazy and haven't bought any, haha. I hate knee wraps

Tom Mutaffis
12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
I have the APT ZRV's, they are a good beginner wrap since they are not too stiff and easy to learn. Carryover depends on the individual but if you wrap them correctly I would say that you can get up to 50 lbs out of them.

A lot of people seem to like the APT Convict, which is a stiffer wrap. If you are looking for big numbers then I would say that the Convict is probably the way to go - but it will take a bit more time to get comfortable with them.

StLRPh
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
The best I have used are the APT convict (which I think elite now sells the same wrap under their name).

How difficult are these to learn for someone who has never used wraps?

AdamBAG
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I like a springier knee wrap. I hit my best squats in APT wraps. I believe one set was the "blue mamba" and the other was the red ones with a black stripe like in my avatar.

I think those are good wraps that will give you some carryover, but aren't so gangster that they'll throw your form off if you aren't used to knee wraps. I've also used the Inzer ZRVs and they are good wraps too.

IronDiggy
12-31-2009, 10:11 AM
How difficult are these to learn for someone who has never used wraps?

Quite easy... When I first got mine I litterally wrapped and squatted with them.

However I had someone to wrap my knees.. If you can get someone to do that the first time great... Learing how to wrap your knees takes a little time and I think it's harder than actually squatting in wraps.

StLRPh
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Will it matter if your stance is narrow vs. wide or raw vs. equipped?

ScottYard
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
When I switched from Wide to Shoulder width I didnt feel any difference in how wraps performed.

StLRPh
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.

douglasoh5
12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Some of the more comfy wraps that still give good support are the metal blacks and the apt strangulators...you can crank them but for some reason, maybe the material they dont seem to extreme...as for some of the stronger ones...the convicts are sick....the mambas are too..the new elite black ones are nuts.

theBarzeen
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I really like my TP5000's...... word is Overkill is releasing new versions of these soon too....... after that maybe the APT 3x's

thewicked
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I love my APT hybrid wraps... (convict/strangulator blend) so much so that I'll be picking up enough pairs to last me my squatting career! I've tried damn near every wrap they make and the strangulator/hybrid/and convict wraps are by far the most managable wrap they make with the most response from the wrap you can buy. Wether you're doing working sets or max lifts they do just fine.

I've used my 2x wraps in 2m and have yet to perform a squat in them. They lock down HARD and keep stopping me just above parallel. Very hard wrap to use if you don't squat enough weight to force them down.

SEOINAGE
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. Hearing a lot of good stuff about the convicts although the hybrids sound pretty sweet. What length knee wrap is allowed in the APF? I tried looking it up but found nothing. Looked up some others like USPF and their limit is 2.5 M.

SELK
12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
APF is 2.5M, cant go wrong with the convicts or the hybrids.

SELK
12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
The SPF allows for 3M wraps. I use 3M ZRV wraps. Need a new pair, but just kinda lazy and haven't bought any, haha. I hate knee wraps

Is this true with their new affiliation? I think GPC is only 2.5 meter wraps. I guess it doesn't matter that much, .5 of a meter of knee wraps is going to do **** all compared to modern day suits/briefs.

Lones Green
12-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Is this true with their new affiliation? I think GPC is only 2.5 meter wraps. I guess it doesn't matter that much, .5 of a meter of knee wraps is going to do **** all compared to modern day suits/briefs.

I have no idea. I can find out though

JK1
12-31-2009, 03:39 PM

Lones, check on that. As far as I know, per the rulebook, the SPF doesn't allow anything longer than 2.5M.

JK1
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Wrong, if you are a big guy---like I am at 300+ that extra 0.5 meter can make a HUGE difference on getting a solid wrap. Same as if you are a really little person--like a 123 lb woman.

I just checked the rule book. Per the rule book the SPF only allows up to 2.5m, which is compatible with the GPC:

b) Knees - Wraps not exceeding 97.5 in. (2-1/2m) in length and 3.15 in.(8cm) in width may be worn. Alternatively, elasticized knee supports not exceeding 7.874 in. (20cm) in length may be worn. A combination of the two is not permitted. A knee wrap shall not extend beyond 5.906 in. (15cm) above and 15cm below the center of the joint, not exceeding a total of 12 in. (30cm) in both directions. Knee wraps shall not touch the socks or the lifting
suit.

If they allowed 3 meter wraps I'd be wearing them.

Ermantroudt
12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I have been a TPXL3000 from the first meet till now

robchris
01-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I use both Inzer-z wraps & APT convicts.... Convicts only w/ full-gear though. Very stiff, yet allow for a tighter wrap!
RC

StLRPh
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm going to be getting my first pair of knee wraps in a few weeks and had a few questions. I wear EliteFTS heavy knees sleeves right now and was thinking about getting Strangulators would that be too much or a good place to start? Is there something more appropriate for me?

Also, I'll be using 5/3/1 programming and was planning on using my sleeves for the all the sets except the last set. On the last set I was planning on using the knee wraps. Does that seem like a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

NickAus
01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Not sure in knee wraps but I like the Hybrids much better than the Convicts in wrist wraps (may be different in knee wraps).

Really comfortable for such a strong wrap.

BloodandThunder
01-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I use Metal All Blacks or Inzers when I train for a meet or ME days. I usually go with a loose Inzer wrap on my first attempt to help reaching depth.
However on skill evalutation day and 2nd/3rd attempts, I'll have 2m Convicts cranked down as hard as I can take. I mean so bad that I only wear them a few times a year.

SEOINAGE
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Well i bought some convicts, just tried them on for 2 quick reps last week, was going to go heavy probably tomorrow, but I also was lent a really old inzer squat suit, fits snug so I think it will give a little carryover, so next squat work is going to be a lot of new stuff to try out, was thinking warming up really heavy raw then suit with straps off, then up, then when I get heavier put the wraps on, Problem is not sure if there will be anyone there to spot me, and that crap makes me feal really unstable.