PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about getting maximum leg drive on the bench press?

n.die_beast
12-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Mendelson talks about leg drive adding hundreds of pounds to your bench. I find that bizarre considerring the way he sets himself up. Rychlak also believes that leg drive is a huge component of bench pressing. How do I maximize the amount of leg drive that I have on the bench? I don't have that much drive from them atm and I think it is holding me way back.

douglasoh5
12-31-2009, 09:08 AM
I wouldnt say just using your legs is going to add 200 lbs to your bench but it adds to overall body tightness which is def needed in shirted benching.

skinny99
12-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Pretty good video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

JSully
12-31-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/great_bench_press.htm

Read Vinny Dizenzo's bench press article.. alot of useful info. I know he posted it here, but I couldn't find it so I liked Elite..

AdamBAG
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
How do you know you don't get good leg drive? I'm not being a smartass, I just wondered.

If you bench on your toes you should be driving your heels down from the start of the movement. For me, if I push my heels down and belly up then I'm usually getting good leg drive.

douglasoh5
12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Adam if your quads are pumped more than your upper body then Id say you got good leg drive. My legs are always a little pumpws after benching..more so in my shirt

Detard
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
"heels down"

JSully
12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
I always tell myself "toes up"..

There was a video here with a big bencher and I heard someone scream it, helps alot

n.die_beast
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
According to vinny's article you drive with your legs first then your upper body muscles. I thought they were meant to go off at the same time. I learn something new everyday.

AdamBAG
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Adam if your quads are pumped more than your upper body then Id say you got good leg drive. My legs are always a little pumpws after benching..more so in my shirt

Rich, I notice this much more after hurting my back and not being able to train my legs much for a while. Definitely an ache in the quads/calves after benching last night.

According to vinny's article you drive with your legs first then your upper body muscles. I thought they were meant to go off at the same time. I learn something new everyday.

interesting!

JSully
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM

yeah I implemented this and wow.. I get alot better "pop" off the chest.. fast ascension means less work the triceps have to do to lockout..

vdizenzo
12-31-2009, 02:29 PM
You can really see how I initiate the press with my legs at the end of the video on board presses. It looks more exagerated on the lighter weights. However, I assure you, I am pressing through my legs just as much with the heavier shirt work. Toes up in my shoes helps a lot. The guys do scream that at me.

pakhdTzY040

Tim K
12-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Those fat bar presses were impressive!

robchris
12-31-2009, 08:02 PM

Agreed... My legs and calfs hurt after ME bench some days!

- Beast, be sure to keep your butt on the bench w/ all that leg drive!:tuttut:

If you have problems w/ coming off the bench turn your toes in a little and drive through the heels, as thats where the power is...

RC

1400total
01-01-2010, 10:44 AM
i tuck my feet back to help with my arch. I want to feel a slight discomfort in my quads. I like the heels down too.

twm
01-01-2010, 11:53 AM
hmm so its bad to be on your toes? i feel thats where i am my strongest since i can get much more arch. i will change my positioning to be on my heels & see how it feels. ty for good info

barbell01
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
hmm so its bad to be on your toes? i feel thats where i am my strongest since i can get much more arch. i will change my positioning to be on my heels & see how it feels. ty for good info

it's not bad to be on your toes, just make sure you drive your heels toward the ground.

twm
01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
OK, sorry if this is dumb -- I am not very experienced relative to a lot of you guys in PLing. so I did some very light sets today just to try out the above ideas. so you try to fire your heels to create leg drive just before you fire the lats/back to propel the bench movement, right? or do you all have it in one sequenced movement? like vinny is saying above that he initiates the press with the legs.. but is that 1 chain movement (legs -> back -> press)? I guess I'm wonder how its supposed to feel

timing it was new to me so i found it difficult to do it as two parts of one single movement.. but i felt a LOT more pop and core power even though I had less arch. like I said.. sorry if this is dumb.. but anyways, i'm glad this thread is up, thanks

mastermonster
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
OK, sorry if this is dumb -- I am not very experienced relative to a lot of you guys in PLing. so I did some very light sets today just to try out the above ideas. so you try to fire your heels to create leg drive just before you fire the lats/back to propel the bench movement, right? or do you all have it in one sequenced movement? like vinny is saying above that he initiates the press with the legs.. but is that 1 chain movement (legs -> back -> press)? I guess I'm wonder how its supposed to feel

timing it was new to me so i found it difficult to do it as two parts of one single movement.. but i felt a LOT more pop and core power even though I had less arch. like I said.. sorry if this is dumb.. but anyways, i'm glad this thread is up, thanks

I think of it like a very fast wave effect. Sort of like a very fast inverted 'worm' move. It happens in a fraction of a second, but is definaletly a 'sequence' movement.

n.die_beast
01-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Just tried using the legs first today and the bench was a lot easier. Thanks for the advice and examples vinny.

vdizenzo
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Just tried using the legs first today and the bench was a lot easier. Thanks for the advice and examples vinny.

Good job. Glad I could help.