PDA

View Full Version : Sumo deadlift form?

martin
12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey everyone,

Hope your all having a great xmas and ready for the new year.

I had another go at sumo's today in some briefs and video'd it this time.

Please take a look and any help is welcomed:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRunniLVD58&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRunniLVD58&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's still a little lower than my conventional pull but do you think I should switch and try and get more from sumo? I seem to struggle most at the top (even raw last time) so would a specific Sumo DL suit help me much?

Thanks

Martin

douglasoh5
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Well you def strong as heck...Id say try and arch the middle to upper back more. watch Al Caslow pull. One of the better sumo pullers to try and mimic. Also if you can find any Mike Brown vids. Just watch them then watch yours...you gota see for your selfe the difference between the two

Lones Green
12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, thats some monster strength for sure.

Added to what Rich said, you seem to be a little unstable at the top. I've seen a couple people switch from conventional to sumo, and its usually just a balance thing that you have to get used to. Some extra glute work would probably keep you that much more stable though.

Again, great strength

Ermantroudt
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Set the back arch before you go down to get the bar-and start pressing the hips forward rather than pulling up, as high as you pulled the 711 I though you had the lift.

martin
01-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Some extra glute work would probably keep you that much more stable though.

I feel like my glutes don't do enough, this also happens in conventional pulls and I struggle at the top of heavy squats. My lower back and hams seem to overpower my glutes I think.

What do you recommend for specific glute work? Sadly I don't have access to a GHR, is there anything else that you think targets the glutes well?

Thanks everyone else. After watching it myself I realise my upper back isn't arched enough but felt like I was during lifts.

Martin

abbcccxyyzzz
01-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Wow, you have some really nice form!

The pull through is really good for those gluts!!

Lones Green
01-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I feel like my glutes don't do enough, this also happens in conventional pulls and I struggle at the top of heavy squats. My lower back and hams seem to overpower my glutes I think.

What do you recommend for specific glute work? Sadly I don't have access to a GHR, is there anything else that you think targets the glutes well?

Thanks everyone else. After watching it myself I realise my upper back isn't arched enough but felt like I was during lifts.

Martin

You could have weak glutes, if thats the case I would say your back and hamstrings are both pretty strong, haha

My first thought was GHR's, but since you don't have one, maybe try romanian deadlifts or something like that really focusing on squeezing your glutes at the top of the movement.

Sean S
01-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I would echo what everyone else has to say about getting a better arch.
As far as the glutes go, pull-thru's are also something you might try. Use the same stance as the sumo DL and keep your back flat and focus on squeezing with the glutes. Sometimes it's hard to tell if your glutes are weak, inactive, or both. For me doing a couple sets of glutes bridges before I SQ or DL "turns on" glutes and I use them more in the following SQ or DL work. You should also simply make a conscious effort to contract your glutes throughout the ROM on all your warm-up sets and lighter sets. Hopefully if you do this for a while, you won't have to think about it so much eventually.

Tom Mutaffis
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Do you have any videos from a front view so that we can see how you set up?

It is common for sumo pullers to lose speed at the top, especially if you have a wide stance and your knees are locking out early. I have found that a closer stance sumo (Ed Coan style) seems to work best for me.

AdamBAG
01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I think if you arch harder before the pull you make that 711. Really strong pulling man.

Assistance work and glute exercises we have had help our pulls both sumo and conventional:
GHR
Rev. Hyper w/ hold at top (keep these light, don't be stupid)
Transylvanians (basically RDLs with chains, aren't we creative in the naming? :) )
Hip Thrusters (here's Titty performing them this past deadlift day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkztoyqcnk4 )

As far as a suit if you are pulling that well in those briefs then I would keep the briefs and wear a squat suit over them with straps you can crank down. You might want a suit that is a bit big on you. My favorite combo is the metal pro briefs that I squat in with a really big metal pro squatter over them w/ velcro straps.

martin
01-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Cheers guys, I knew I'd get some good info on here.

I will keep working RDL's and see if I can set up some Hip Thrusters too.

I will keep my progress updated and try and get a front vid next time too :)

Thanks again

Martin