PDA

View Full Version : Saturated Fat

Logan
12-31-2009, 07:00 PM
I was just wondering why Saturated fats always get a bad rep. I thought saturated fat repaired muscle, it is what the cell wall are made of. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jp2
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Saturated fats increase your cholesterol, which isn't good. They aren't as bad as Trans fats though.....

TKisner
01-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Saturated fats increase your cholesterol, which isn't good. They aren't as bad as Trans fats though.....
Certain saturated fats can raise your HDL and LDL so its increasing the good and the bad. Other types of saturated fats may not raise either. As long as its not high to begin with it might be worth it. Go read the article on T-nation by Lonnier Lowery about fats he shows the specific effect certain profiles of fats have. Not just how saturated fats behave or monounsaturated behave, because according to him they all have different effects.

twm
01-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I cant find the source right now... but I have read that saturated fats only have negative effects on cholesterol when the food in question has combined cholesterol and saturated fat. e.g., shellfish are very high in cholesterol but low in saturated fats. net impact on your chol is low...

not positive about the above. please correct me if I am wrong.

Spartan936
01-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I disagree completely with the notion that saturated fat causes heart disease. Humans generally evolved on a very high fat diet. There are records of tribal peoples eating copious amounts of it, and still not suffering from any of the diseases of civilization.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/12/dirty-little-secret-of-diet-heart.html

I'm quite confident that the whole thing is a myth. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat a balanced diet, however.

skinny99
01-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I disagree completely with the notion that saturated fat causes heart disease. Humans generally evolved on a very high fat diet. There are records of tribal peoples eating copious amounts of it, and still not suffering from any of the diseases of civilization.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/12/dirty-little-secret-of-diet-heart.html

I'm quite confident that the whole thing is a myth. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat a balanced diet, however.

I agree! I think fat is not as bad as made out to be!

darkdan
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Tribal people didn't live to be old enough to worry about heart disease.

VikingWarlord
01-02-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/mmmmm-fat/

newfarris
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I just mentioned this in another thread, but Coconut Oil is fantastic. It's a saturated fat, but melts at body temperature. Just be sure you are getting the unprocessed stuff (raw is great). If it's processed and hydrogenated it's beneficial health effects aren't there.

darkdan
01-02-2010, 08:10 PM
no thanks. I'll avoid the 120 calories per tablespoon.

VikingWarlord
01-03-2010, 02:37 AM

Uh, that would be all fats. If you think all fats are bad, please come back from 1985.

TKisner
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Thats probably why you think your a hardgainer. Your not eating the right foods. Ones that would provide calories and health benefits

darkdan
01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I didn't say coconut oil was bad. It's a much better cooking oil than other oils. I didn't say all fats were bad. I just said I don't need the extra calories from fat thank you.