PDA

View Full Version : Touch and go deadlift question

geoffsherman
01-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am on my 13 or 14th wave of 5/3/1 and getting some good progress in general. However, my deadlift is really faltering. I recently moved and changed gyms and went from good bars, chalk, bumper plates, and a platform to no chalk allowed, bad knurling on bars, regular steel weights and solid ground to deadlift from. I have started to incorporate grip work into my routine and am going to buy some liquid chalk when I have some money, but can't do much about the bars or ground. My first few reps on my max out set are fine, but then I am feel the bar start to slip. I am wondering if part of the problem may be that I am coming down too violently on the touch and go combined with no bumpers and a solid ground and that is causing some of the issue as well. Anyone experience this problem? Any solutions?

TKisner
01-03-2010, 10:40 AM
As far as the no chalk situation EFS has liquid chalk on their catalog. I don't know how it compares but it might be worth looking into.

ScottYard
01-03-2010, 12:26 PM
A fast hard touch and go can play hell on your grip. What happens most times is the plates touch the the ground unevenly and make the bar roll in your hands. Slow It down for sure and it will get better. Hex holds go a lonmg way to after your done pulling.

sandcracker21
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
first of all, leave that gym if they dont let you use chalk...

however, maybe try to reset after each rep(this is what i do)
or maybe...gasp! use straps? (i dont recommend this though....i cant stand them unless im doing heavy shrugs)

Tom Mutaffis
01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am on my 13 or 14th wave of 5/3/1 and getting some good progress in general. However, my deadlift is really faltering. I recently moved and changed gyms and went from good bars, chalk, bumper plates, and a platform to no chalk allowed, bad knurling on bars, regular steel weights and solid ground to deadlift from. I have started to incorporate grip work into my routine and am going to buy some liquid chalk when I have some money, but can't do much about the bars or ground. My first few reps on my max out set are fine, but then I am feel the bar start to slip. I am wondering if part of the problem may be that I am coming down too violently on the touch and go combined with no bumpers and a solid ground and that is causing some of the issue as well. Anyone experience this problem? Any solutions?

I assume that you compete in powerlifting which is why grip is a concern.

My recommendation would be to start pulling with straps and then do one of the following:
- Learn to hook grip
- Perform independent grip training (DB holds, timed hangs, etc.)

Selling yourself short on deadlift because of grip is the last thing that you want to do. Almost any meet that you attend is going to have a good bar and you do not have to pull for reps so chances are that you would still compete fine; but missing reps in the gym because of grip will not optimize your gains for when you are on the platform.

Judas
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Static holds are your grip fix. Period. Or like Tom said, hook-grip... if you're a badass.

But i think you should use chalk. I've worked out in a few uptight gyms that did not allow chalk. That never stopped me from using it. Just be sneaky. Its dumb, stupid, moronic, asinine rule... i wont respect it. If they are real dinks about it, keep the chalk bucket in your gym bag (i always bring my bag in too, even if i have to walk it past the 'No Bags' sign...). Theres always a way. Clean the bar after you're done. Dont make white clouds, etc.

Also, unless you are exclusively weightlifting, dont use olympic bumpers for deadlifting. They are wider, space the weight out further and make lifting easier. If you ever do a comp you'll find very thin plates and 400lbs WILL feel heavier than 400lbs in bumpers did. And if you bounce (nothing wrong with bouncing) bumpers certainly bounce better, again giving you a false impression ov what you can do.

Lifting on a crappy bar is the opposite ov lifting with bumpers. It will make the pull harder... which will give you a pleasant surprise if you ever compete.

stik
01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
In order to increase my grip ability, I use something I read about in "PL USA" magazine that Gaynor said Kuc used to fix others grip issues. On my last rep of my last set, I hold the bar for ten seconds before I put it back down.

I also personally don't touch and go. I release, set up/grab, and then pull. This might be one of those "whatever works" things.

geoffsherman
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think what I may do for the short-term (while I am at this gym) is go strapless for my warmups and then on my main workset use the straps. I am definitely hammering the static holds and doing farmer's walks with heavy KBs to see how that works.

BloodandThunder
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I've been in your position before lol. Hook or double overhand all your warmups until you get set for your primary sets. Resetting, although killing the stretch reflex you get from consecutive reps, might help you if you have problems with the pull from the floor. But it also does save your hands a little. Also, most gyms ban chalk because of a few lifters who run around and unneccessarily get it all over the place. Show them that you can powerlift and be respectful of your equipment and you'd be surprised what theyd let you get away with. Or find a powerlifting gym to train your deadlifts on the weekend.