PDA

View Full Version : Gear Squat work, with a high 800.

mikesbench
01-05-2010, 05:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXQG1sd8HLg

I felt like the 720 and 760 went well, but 800 was obviously sky high. I just didn't get everything quite right on that, but it felt good to get the weight on my back and move it some.

Beverly McD.
01-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Your moving the weight very well.
At 1:20 when you broke the weight out I think you're just a little out of position. You broke it with a quite a bit of forward lean. Your foot position looked good, but your hips seemed too far behind you. It's difficult to really flex the butt and quads before breaking the weight when the hips are that far behind you. Have you tried getting them under you before the break?
Larry Mistric, a guy in our gym, has a tendency to do the same thing. It helps him a lot to get his hips under him and break nearly straight up instead of forward/up.
The strength for the weight looks like it's there now, the position just seems slightly off.

Lones Green
01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Your moving the weight very well.
At 1:20 when you broke the weight out I think you're just a little out of position. You broke it with a quite a bit of forward lean. Your foot position looked good, but your hips seemed too far behind you. It's difficult to really flex the butt and quads before breaking the weight when the hips are that far behind you. Have you tried getting them under you before the break?
Larry Mistric, a guy in our gym, has a tendency to do the same thing. It helps him a lot to get his hips under him and break nearly straight up instead of forward/up.
The strength for the weight looks like it's there now, the position just seems slightly off.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

You came forward a bit out of the rack, which isn't hard to do with 800 pounds, LOL. But it looks like it may have contributed to a forward lean on the way down

Great work though, I wish you'd go ahead and squat it

Sean S
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
If you can get your set-up with 800 to look like the previous two sets, I'll think you'll be fine. With the first two sets you get your hips under the bar better before you take it out of the rack. With a minor adjustment I think you'll handle 800 just fine.

joey54
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
If you can get your set-up with 800 to look like the previous two sets, I'll think you'll be fine. With the first two sets you get your hips under the bar better before you take it out of the rack. With a minor adjustment I think you'll handle 800 just fine.

That is what I saw too.

mikesbench
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys; I hadn't really picked the video apart that well yet. Do you think it's a problem of where I initially set my feet up (like not under the rack enough)? Or do I just need to focus on standing tall once I'm out of the racks?

Beverly McD.
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I think your feet look good Mike.
You might try going to the bar, setting up just like you do now with your feet and hands, but instead of leaning forward to get under the bar go ahead and get your hips under your shoulders...then drive your knees out enough to clear the bar and get it onto your shoulders.
So, instead of leaning forward to give yourself room to get under the bar, it's knees out to get under the bar,
flex your butt and quads,
and stand up

Side note...It's going to feel like the bar is going to roll down your back. You'll may want to kick your elbows back a little more than you are now just to create a "shelf" for the bar to rest on.

One more side note. Your squat looks good now. Getting your hips under you on the break instead of behind you just puts you in a little better position relative to hitting depth.

When you start the squat with the hips behind you what often happens is the bar goes down as far as the gear will let you. The bar quits moving, but the lifters upper body continues to go down in an effort to make depth.

Sean S
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys; I hadn't really picked the video apart that well yet. Do you think it's a problem of where I initially set my feet up (like not under the rack enough)? Or do I just need to focus on standing tall once I'm out of the racks?

I don't think it's your foot placement since your first two squats look good and I assume you used the same foot placement for all of them. I see it as a problem as you are coming out of the rack, so trying to correct it after you are out of the rack probably isn't going to work. Get your hips under you a little more so you come out of the racks in a more upright position.
I think once you examine the videos a little more closely you will see the difference between the first two squats and the last one.