PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the forum,need some help

SCOTT GEE
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
First i am glad this place is here.

I have not lifted a weight in 2 years,and havent competed in a meet in 12 years
I done some bodybuilding shows from 1997-2000 and didnt do anything but lift until 2007.
But working 16 hr shifts and 2 boys and a wife sadly there was no time(least thats my excuse).
I now have a job where i only work 40 hours a week,and my oldest is wanting to start working out also.
My plan is to do mostly the same stuff i did before i quit,use the westside template and build up my raw bench(hope to get back to a 500 pound raw bench)
When i competed i used a single layer franz denim in the 198s my best in comp was 560 and in the 220s my best was 605lbs.
My bench style is elbows in bringing the bar just to the top of my belly.

My question is when i do get my raw bench where i want it,what shirt do you think would be best for me.
Its been 4 or 5 years (i think) i talked to Louie and he said a lot of his guys where going to the rage x,now i am hearing they have came out with better????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I plan useing double or a triple ply ,but i am hearing not to grid stitch the chest because it has to much stopping power and causeing the shirt to have less pop off the bottom?

Sorry if my questions sounds stupid but a lot has changed in 12 years(lol)
Never in my life would i have thought there would be a shirt out there that would give me more than 100 pounds like my single franz denim:hump:

jtteg_x
01-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not quite as expierenced to give bench advice so ill let someone else chime in on that.

As far as new shirts, Titan came out with the Katana which has stronger material than the f6, new torque sleeve design, and lower neck line. Titan then came out with the Super Katana which give the shirt a jacked up super neck and created there super katana's with NGX+ Super material...which is even stronger than the original katana shirts. I have the super katana and and it literally is a 1 and a half ply shirt. Inzer came out with a super duper phenom in double and triple plys. I think it was APT that came out with the Overkill shirt? and Apex. Metal created the Metal Ace Pro bench shirt and few others.

if your curious, here are some sites to browse:
www.andersonpowerlifting.com (Titan, recommended to buy from)
www.liftinglarge.com (Titan)
www.elitefts.com (Metal)
www.houseofpain.com (Inzer)
www.prowriststraps.com (APT)

Brian C
01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Depends if you arch or not too. The overkill shirt is getting a lot of attention. Seen it in action and will be my next shirt

Brian Hopper
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Your probably going to get alot of different opinions on bench shirts. I haven't used any of the new poly shirts yet, I have been using denim shirts and I love them. My next shirt purchase would be a poly and my choices would be either a Rage X, Ace, or Overkill.

SCOTT GEE
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I have read about the overkill shirts ,i could remember quite a few years back,JM BLAKELY told me if i got 100 pounds out of a shirt was very good,cause that was what he strove for himself.

Now there are a few getting over 300+ carryover(i know it takes lots of work to get that) but still its great!

I feel like i was frozen in a block of ice and was defrosted .cause a lot has changed!
When i do order my shirt It will be one these overkill, ragex, Katana or phenom(super dooper pooper(lol)

Btw one of the posters asked if i arched ,and yes i do and i have the arm reach of a t-rex(lol)
Hell i cant even do 4 boards :whiner:
but thanks for the above posts!!!!

Darracq
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
I like both the rage x and titan f6 and katana`s, YOu will get a lot more out of them than your old shirt.

walker
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
i've used a 1ply open back Inzer Rage and a 2 ply open back denim by karren with grid stitching. i'm a belly bench and the groove with the rage works great for me but it takes a lot for me to get the bar to touch right (probably cause i got it when i was 181 and now i'm 198, and i have the collar pulled down real low). but with the denim i got just as much pop without it being nearly as tight and having the collar pulled down as far. i don't feel like the denim has as much carry over to lock out as my poly shirt does though. there are pros and cons to both materials, you just gotta try a few out and see what works for you.

robchris
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Scott,

If you're a arched bencher, go w/ a rage X or F6 for starters... Both are good shirts and will last a while.

Katana's are a little more advanced shirt and since you've been out of the game a while I wouldnt start w/ one... Grid stitching gives more stopping power, but are harder to touch in, so again, not what you need just starting back.

Learn the rage x or f6 and then go for a more advanced "gangstered' shirt later...

SCOTT GEE
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Scott,

If you're a arched bencher, go w/ a rage X or F6 for starters... Both are good shirts and will last a while.

Katana's are a little more advanced shirt and since you've been out of the game a while I wouldnt start w/ one... Grid stitching gives more stopping power, but are harder to touch in, so again, not what you need just starting back.

Learn the rage x or f6 and then go for a more advanced "gangstered' shirt later...

Thanks!
I have to put some of my weight back on ,but when i get back up to around 225 pound mark i will put a order in for a double rage x.
God i am glad muscle has memory:)

I tried a buddys rage on the other day and the arms where down to my forearms so i might want to get the arms shortned by 2 or 3inches.

I always got a great carryover useing benchshirts so i hope nothing has changed(lol)
I am also going to train all the lifts and try to hit 1-2 full meets this year.
But my advantage of haveing short arms is a disadvantage pulling(country mile)

A guy thats helping me (Willie Williams) was a 700+ bencher in 95 and his wife just got in the top 100 (top ten) 330 bench@132 are going to be helping me .

NickAus
01-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Custom overkill!!

Travis Bell
01-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Actually a lot of us at Westside are using a wide variety of shirts. Tony Bologone uses a Metal Denim (you can't buy that any more) as is Luke Edwards, AJ Roberts does use a rage, Matt Smith uses a Karins DD, Jason Fry uses a Rage X, Greg is going to try some Ace shirts and I have previously used a Super Duper Phenom but just got a custom Overkill shirt in.

Getting 100lbs out of your shirt would certainly be a good start. Keep in mind though the game has changed a little since then and now you have the top guys getting over 300lbs out of their shirts. AJ and myself are getting right about 250. Greg isn't getting that much, but he out benches us both at this point.

Gregs best bench is 820lbs
Tony Bologone - 865lbs
AJ - 760lbs
Jason - 770lbs
Myself - 770lbs