PDA

View Full Version : Protein intake while cutting fat

vdizenzo
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Just curious what everyone thinks is the minimum protein requirement when cutting fat?

David Trantham
01-06-2010, 06:32 AM
personnally every time i cut on my bodybuilding diet i keep my protein levels at about 45% of my calorie intake. (assuming you are taking about cutting bodyfat) most of the time when you are cutting you are cutting calories,carbs and fat from your diet. my take if you are cutting calories from fat and carbs the calories have to come from somewhere. usually on my diet while cutting my fats are around 20%,carbs45% and protein45%. if i have a higher carb day i cut my fats and on high fat day i cut carbs , usually keep my protein the same.

jAy_Dub
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
My diet has close to 60% coming from protein.

Holto
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I think the actual functional minimum is way lower than people think. We eat far more protein than we need, which is fine. I'd rather err on the side of mass.

I've posted this many times but it bears repeating. 1 LB of muscle is 70% water. That leaves at most, 134 grams of protein. When we consider how long it takes to build one pound of muscle, you only need a few extra grams per day.

In terms of preventing catabolism while cutting, I think that is more about total calories and keeping a steady protein intake rather that a high one.

skinny99
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Vin I sure ain't no expert but when I "cut" I usually just start cutting out the carbs and eat lots of lean meat and eggs. For me at 250ish a cut is still 2400cal and when I eat enough meat,eggs and tuna combined with a two scoop Nitrean shake I am well in to the 200s for protein which is easily over 1lb LBM. Just a thought from me.

Invain
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I've tried anywhere from .75 grams per pound to 1.5 grams per pound and haven't noticed much of a difference. Usually shoot for at least 1 gram per pound of total weight.

vdizenzo
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes, I meant while cutting bodyfat. I was down to around 250 grams for a couple of weeks. Shelby thought that was too low when I asked him on Elite. Strength was still good and weight was coming off. I weigh 284 right now. I have stepped the protein back up to right around 300 grams.

I actully had a lower carb day today, I cut 100 grams.

Editors009
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Alrighty well, right now I'm cutting, i just reached 152.4lbs, and I want to cut for just 1 more week, then going to bulk to about 180 or so. I'm told that even while cutting, I want to intake 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, by the time I go to sleep tonight, I'll be around 204g protein and 1800 calories for the day. Is 204 too much for cutting? When I go into bulking I estimate I'll be taking in about twice that many calories, and around 300+ grams of protein. So far I haven't seen anything wrong with the way I'm eating, but I'm constantly tweaking my habbits and I love to hear what everyone else has to say. I feel and am told that I look great so hopefully I can't be doing anything too bad.

Auburn
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
In The Protein Book, Lyle puts forth an argument for around 3 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight as a minimum for dieting strength athletes.

jonbart69
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
In The Protein Book, Lyle puts forth an argument for around 3 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight as a minimum for dieting strength athletes.

i have no idea, but isnt that too much?

K.Huget
01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
personnally every time i cut on my bodybuilding diet i keep my protein levels at about 45% of my calorie intake. (assuming you are taking about cutting bodyfat) most of the time when you are cutting you are cutting calories,carbs and fat from your diet. my take if you are cutting calories from fat and carbs the calories have to come from somewhere. usually on my diet while cutting my fats are around 20%,carbs45% and protein45%. if i have a higher carb day i cut my fats and on high fat day i cut carbs , usually keep my protein the same.

Those percentages add up to 110% i'm sure it's just a typo you obviously know your stuff and i'm very interested. Could you clear this up?

Daniel Roberts
01-08-2010, 03:45 AM
i have no idea, but isnt that too much?

That works out at 1.4 g per lb of bodyweight. Which sits right in the middle of the oft quoted 1g to 2g per lb recommendation.

NickAus
01-08-2010, 04:26 AM
From what I have read 300 would be about right.