PDA

View Full Version : Gonna need the Experts for this one ! Need help with Meals and Nutrition!

Newtwarrior
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Now I'm not going to sit here and ask how many cals is so and so . I have the internet, I can read , so I should be set!
Though there are SO many people, SO many opinions and SO many options well I need some input.
First and Foremost MY goal is to put on muscle and overall be healthy.
Mind you my food availability is quite odd, I work at a supermarket a good portion of the time so its a mixed blessing with food available to me. Well I know I'm not good at this so I'm asking you! Okay long winded stuff over! Heres how it looks on paper

Meal 1
Egg Whites x3
Bowl of Cereal (Fiber One is popular in my house, so is special K, but I think I'm going to start buying oatmeal instead)
Fruit/Low Fat - Yogurt

Meal 2
Yogurt and Some Beef jerky

Meal 3 (pre work)
Tuna Sandwich! (whole wheat bread!)
Banana

Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

This is sorta where I blank, I mean my Pops usually makes fairly balanced meals, so I'm not worried about that, everyone in my family is a protein head and we usually eat meat quite alot. We also have salad alot at the table, with alot of veggies at every meal.

Usually when I'm at work I'll grab half a pound of Chicken from our grill to eat (mind you its CHICKEN and nothing more, its good stuff, and its just baked with spices)
They have Sweet Potatoes/Yams there also, which I heard is great, and I do like them alot. But Would eating carbs at night be hindering muscle gain ? (I eat 7:30-7:45ish most nights)

I also heard eating at night would help, like some peanut butter before bed time. "Slow digesting proteins"

I know this is a long and tedious thread and I'm bouncing all over the place but I have so many questions

I do know I have to get a good Whey Protein to use for after workouts. Any suggestions there? (I'll look at the stickies when this is done, the answers probably there)

If someone maybe has the time they could AIM me and better explain things if they're feeling kind :)? aim is Newtwarrior

Thank you so much..
I am truly

:indian: a newbie at this.

tom183
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
They have Sweet Potatoes/Yams there also, which I heard is great, and I do like them alot. But Would eating carbs at night be hindering muscle gain ? (I eat 7:30-7:45ish most nights)

No.

I also heard eating at night would help, like some peanut butter before bed time. "Slow digesting proteins"

The main thing is that you're eating above your maintenance calories over the whole day. If eating at night helps, then do it.

I do know I have to get a good Whey Protein to use for after workouts. Any suggestions there? (I'll look at the stickies when this is done, the answers probably there)

It's not essential but if you can afford it you might aswell. I wont suggest any as I'm an Australian and alot of the stuff we have over here isn't available in the states and vice versa.

As for your trouble thinking of other meals to eat:

everyone in my family is a protein head and we usually eat meat quite alot. We also have salad alot at the table, with alot of veggies at every meal.

That sounds pretty good to me.

skinny99
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Op if you eat enough meat,eggs and milk you don't need protein powder. Track your food on a site like this.You will learn a lot just tracking your food.

http://www.fitday.com/

LuNa
01-07-2010, 12:46 AM
The other guys pretty much answered all your questions. If you do want to get a protein powder, may i suggest looking at this:

Nitrean (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1) or Opticen (http://www.atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=2)
I havent used them my self as of yet, as im living in Australia and shipping is more expensive than the powder, but most guys on this forum use it and you would be supporting this board.

Newtwarrior
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Well MY bud lives with me, and hes into fitness too. I'll ask him to go half on it :P and I wouldn't mind supporting the site at all!
Any other input would be greatly appreciated though!!

Off Road
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Yup...Nitrean is awsome.

malkore
01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't see much protein in your meals. for example 3 egg whites is only 9-10 grams of protein, and the milk in your cereal plus the yogurt might get you to a total of 20g at breakfast...depends on how much milk and yogurt you're eating.

use fitday.com to track your diet for a few days, as this will reveal a lot.