PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form Critique

drew2143
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I was looking for a critique on my deadlift form. I changed my form slightly, where I drop my hips lower. Am I still rounding too much?
0ZADW3Y0DFk

MarcusWild
01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
You round a little in the middle of your back. Some people can deadlift that way. It can make lockout difficult unless you're upper back is strong enough to overcome it.

drew2143
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
You round a little in the middle of your back. Some people can deadlift that way. It can make lockout difficult unless you're upper back is strong enough to overcome it.

Thanks for the critique. Do you have any advice for exercises that could strengthen that region? Would Kroc rows be a good solution?

Brian Hopper
01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Try to focus on pinching your shoulders together to help get your chest up a little better before you pull.

MarcusWild
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Try what Brian said. I think if you're tighter on the setup, then it'll help. Kroc rows should help, but get really tight before you start.

douglasoh5
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I think your form looks great. a slightly rounded upper back is good for conv pulling. As far as pinching shoulder blades together wouldnt that pull your arms up higher and make the movemnet longer?

MarcusWild
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I focus on pulling them back and down. The issue with rounding is you can get stuck above your knees because your hips are too far behind you. Some people can still lock it out that way, but it's a lot more difficult.

AdamBAG
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I focus on pulling them back and down. The issue with rounding is you can get stuck above your knees because your hips are too far behind you. Some people can still lock it out that way, but it's a lot more difficult.

This has happened to me a lot when I pull conventional. I will have to try "pulling back and down."

MarcusWild
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
This has happened to me a lot when I pull conventional. I will have to try "pulling back and down."

You can also focus on squeezing your glutes from the start. I don't really think about lifting the bar. It's more pull my shoulders back and pushing my hips through. If I try to lift the bar, then my hips shoot straight up and are too far behind me to be able to lockout.

ehubbard
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I was looking for a critique on my deadlift form. I changed my form slightly, where I drop my hips lower. Am I still rounding too much?

Are you stronger lowering your hips like that at the beginning? Form looks good, but your hips rise a few inches before the bar breaks the floor so if lowering your hips helps you break heavy weight off the floor then great. If you are stronger with hips high and rounded back then lift that way. This is a personal thing, but when I drop my hips I feel like I get out of position and lose some of my tightness as well as what I'll call stored energy. Deadlift is about leverage so find what works best for you.

Brian Hopper
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I think your form looks great. a slightly rounded upper back is good for conv pulling. As far as pinching shoulder blades together wouldnt that pull your arms up higher and make the movemnet longer?

I feel that pinching my shoulder blades back and down makes my upper back tight, and also pulling out the slack by locking my elbows allows me to be explosive. I don't pinch them together in a way that it would bring my arms any higher.

drew2143
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Are you stronger lowering your hips like that at the beginning? Form looks good, but your hips rise a few inches before the bar breaks the floor so if lowering your hips helps you break heavy weight off the floor then great. If you are stronger with hips high and rounded back then lift that way. This is a personal thing, but when I drop my hips I feel like I get out of position and lose some of my tightness as well as what I'll call stored energy. Deadlift is about leverage so find what works best for you.

I started to lower my hips, because I found that my lumbar spine did not round as much in that position. I used to deadlift with my hips slightly higher, but I was finding my lower back would round initially off the floor. I don't think I'm losing any power off the ground, but I'm not gaining anything either, except that my back is staying more neutral.