PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Bench shirts

EmptyBarbell
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
I hear alot of guys talking about things they do when putting on their bench shirts to get more pop etc, for example I've heard putting your palms down as one way and then thumbs up as another way when getting into the shirt to increase pop...... I'm curious as to what other 'tips' that most of you may have deployed and what was the outcome on your benching?:omg:

douglasoh5
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
depends on the shirt what kind of stuff you do

Travis Bell
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
All I really do is pull the collar down on my second and third attempts. I don't like twisting the sleeves. I know it works for some guys, but for me it seems to effect the groove too much

drew
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
At this point you just need to learn how to bench in a shirt. I wear an open-backed shirt and pull the collar down based on the weight I am taking. I don't do anything fancy with the sleeves except sometimes I'll roll the ends one time to get the shirt a little tighter on my arm.

As for twisting and turning an all that other stuff, I'd rather just put my shirt on and SFW. It takes me less than a minute to get my shirt on and set. I've heard of some guys taking 10 minutes or more. To me it's a waste of time and energy.

EmptyBarbell
01-08-2010, 12:15 PM
All I really do is pull the collar down on my second and third attempts. I don't like twisting the sleeves. I know it works for some guys, but for me it seems to effect the groove too much

Pulling down the collar... does that make the touch point on your shirt likewise go further down too? .. do you find that is beneficial to touch much lower on your shirt than say perhaps to keep it a inch or two up ?...

Thanks for the information!

douglasoh5
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM
With my shirt (ace) I do things a little different. I usually leave the collar in the same place. Semi jacked down. If i pull it way down it just stops the weight with very little pop. I pull the shoulders off though so it digs into the triceps. the heavier i go the further ill go down the arms. Its usually not alot. This adds alot of tricep support and helps add the lockout. as far as twisting the sleeve. I would do that in my old shirt(bash) but it wasnt crazy tight on the arms...My ace once its on the arms ant moving. so i make sure my palms are up when i put it on. Some other stuff ppl do in shirts is velcro tightness...Some like it loose...some like it tight....When you have it tight it seems to add support too.

Travis Bell
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Pulling down the collar... does that make the touch point on your shirt likewise go further down too? .. do you find that is beneficial to touch much lower on your shirt than say perhaps to keep it a inch or two up ?...

Thanks for the information!

a little. You need to experiment with it a little in the gym to know the groove of the shirt

As far as where you are referring to touching, that's a really vague question. An inch or two up from where?

Ryano
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I believe that lowering the collar will lower the touch of the shirt with the same weight. Add weight and the touch/groove will be the same. Twisting the sleeves in a closed back shirt helps with tightening the sleeves and give more lockout support as does pinching the sleeves in an open back shirt. You have to KNOW the shirt to determine what adjustments give you what support. Point is, live in the shirt until you know it. IMO

SELK
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
My tip- the strongest and most jacked shirt will not always give you the most poundage. Ive had shirts which where way to strong for me and you spend most of you energy just trying to get the bar to touch. A little looser shirt I can bring the bar down better and have more in me for the press.

Ryano
01-09-2010, 06:16 AM
My tip- the strongest and most jacked shirt will not always give you the most poundage. Ive had shirts which where way to strong for me and you spend most of you energy just trying to get the bar to touch. A little looser shirt I can bring the bar down better and have more in me for the press.

I also feel this is true. Being an 'old fart' I don't have the endurance to fight the weight to touch to long before I'm gassed. I'm good for about 10 seconds then I'm done.

theBarzeen
01-10-2010, 07:46 AM
just pull the collar and sleeves down a little for bigger weights, then hold your form and set up tight enough to let the shirt work and not throw you out of the groove.......