PDA

View Full Version : another lessend learned

1400total
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Last squat workout I paid no attention to my log and made jumps that were too much. My final weight was done with poor form.

So today was an opportunity to fix that and have a good day. I have also been interested in seeing what I can do raw. The last time I went completely raw I was hitting 600 for a double fairly easily.

SOme quick background. I just did the IPA seniors in York so I have been very use to squating out of the mono lift and with my champion suit.

I was rushing to the gym, and I didn't want to hold up my partners, so I quickly warmed up and jumped in (note first mistake!)

SO I was consulting my log and making good jumps. I normally put my suit on at around 500 lbs, but today I was feeling pretty good. I was walking my squats out and going raw to build strength.

I got to 525 and decided to do this raw. On my first rep my left tear drop
had a sharp pain, like someone knuckle punch me. I tried a second rep but cut it short because I didn't want to tear anything.

That was it for squats, so I went on to some heavy good mornings. I was glad I stopped squating although I felt crappy for having done something to the muscle.

Talking with the guys they suggested the root of the problem was not properly stretching and warming up.

In the past I would have pushed through the pain, and ended up hearting myself. At 40 years old I consider myself agressive and I think I have the potential to do something in this sport, and perhaps my impatience is wanting to do it to soon.

I have learned to listen to my body better, but Now have to learn to listen to my training partners

:bash:

teeroy
01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Sucks man. I hope it heals up soon. Thanks for the lessons learned posts.

john o
01-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Absolutely the best course. I had chronic hamstring pulls from playing sports and always pushed through it
Eventually they became more frequent and I can no longer sprint, grapple, etc. A doctor said the tissue is like a piece of frayed rope and will always
Tear at the weakest link even with strong surrounding tissue.

I'm slowly getting my squat back to where yours is now. I have to stretch and really make slow progress.
Passion can be counterproductive if it overrides common sense in handling an injury. I'm 38 and sometimes it's easy to train
like a twenty year old, butn there is a price. Stay healthy and you can continue to progress, just sometimes have to channel
the desire in a more discriminating way.