PDA

View Full Version : Halfabrotha's Workout Log - Now with MORE SQUATS!

halfabrotha
01-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I just started a journal on a different site a few weeks ago but have decided to move over to wannabebig.com

Info:
Name: Jason
Weight: 220 (ish)
Height: 5’10”

History:

I’ve been in and out of the gym for the last few years. Consistency has been the issue but after ballooning up to a FAT 253 about 2.5 years ago I’ve been in more then out.

I started out saying that I did not care about what the scale says but I was totally lying to myself. Last spring (09), I stopped lifting all together and just did cardio. I got down to 205lbs but was not very happy because I liked lifting.

So I started lifting again and was making some good gains. I started off doing a basic routine I found on bodybuilding.com. Then I bought the book Starting Strength and did that.

I was doing well but once again I started slacking. I stopped logging my food intake. Then I was not consistent with my lifting… I got lazy.

Anyways I’m now getting back to it and hope I can really stick with it this time.

Goals:

• STAY CONSISTENT!
• Gain muscle; lose fat (over all)
• Squats back to 315x5x3 (short term) –DONE!
• Squats to 405x5x3 (long term)
• Dead Lifts > Squats - right now I squat more then I DL
• Make the diet a true lifestyle change - not just a diet. I should NOT have to log it to keep myself accountable.
• Do pullups/chinups

Workout:
Right now it is a modified SS. I'm doing more DLs then SS calls for. Also I am still working on being able to do pullups/chinups, so yes you will see pull downs in my logs (feel free to verbally abuse me for it...).

Food log:
http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=halfabrotha (http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=halfabrotha)

halfabrotha
01-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Going to start with this weeks workouts.

01/04/2010 work out

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
315x5x3

DB Shoulder Press*
40x5
60x5
80x5
100x5
130x5x3

Lat Pull downs
60x5
80x5
100x5
120x5
160x5x3

Can I count shoveling snow as part of my workout ? I finally shoveled out the sidewalks, which had about 18~20" of (heavy) snow. After living here in the Midwest for most of my life you would think I would buy a snow blower.....

* ALL DB weights are for TOTAL of BOTH DBs.

halfabrotha
01-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I tell you what, -15* this morning was not good for the motivation. I did get into the gym for a little cardio. I got in 30 minutes of stair master doing 100/80 step intervals.

Also picked up some protein on my way home. I bought some ON whey in extreme milk chocolate. This should help with balancing my diet out a bit more. Now I just need to get more disciplined and stay away from all the remaining holiday goodies.

halfabrotha
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I was feeling a bit tired and my back was tight from shoveling the night before. I skipped squats and deciding I would do them Saturday.

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
325x5x3 - first time over 315 and it felt fine. I actually felt like I could do more.

DB Bench Press*
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5
180x5x2
180x4 - should have been x5 but I missed the last rep of last set....

Sit ups (on decline bench)
BWx15x3

halfabrotha
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
BTW I should mention I do normally wait a full day before lifting again but I skipped DLs the day before and I missed a full day of lifting this week because of the weather.

Dead lifts
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x5
275x3 - first working set I only got 3 out and then stopped and stretched. Back was still tight from shoveling.
275x5x2 - last two sets felt fine.

DB Shoulder Press
40x5
60x5
80x5
100x5
140x5x2
140x4 - missed the last rep. I had nothing left.

Dips
BWx7x3

triceps push down w/ rope
50x5
70x5
90x5x3

Rugg
01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Ditch the lat pulldowns. Bite the bullet and just try singles and push out 25 of those. Even start with neutral or chin up grip to give you more pulling power. If you still cant do one, use the assisted machine or put a chair behind you and give yourself a little nudge.

You have good overall strength so I don't think it will take long for your body to adapt to regular pullups in short order.

P.S. Fix Kana

halfabrotha
01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Ditch the lat pulldowns. Bite the bullet and just try singles and push out 25 of those. Even start with neutral or chin up grip to give you more pulling power. If you still cant do one, use the assisted machine or put a chair behind you and give yourself a little nudge.

You have good overall strength so I don't think it will take long for your body to adapt to regular pullups in short order.

P.S. Fix Kana

Yeah, I think i am going to try that. I have one of those door way pull up bars that I am going to setup at home so I can work on them. Just need to dig it out of the garage.

halfabrotha
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
This morning’s workout was pretty good. I was still a bit tired from only having one day off from lifting back to back last Friday and Saturday. I probably should not have done presses back to back but what ever. I have a half tub of NO Xplode left so I thought I would take that before the workout just for a bit more energy. Maybe it is placebo affect but when I got to the gym I was totally pumped.

I went up five more pounds on my squats, hit all the reps, and still felt like I had more. Then I went and did db bench presses... I was still feeling good but after three reps on the second working set my arms and shoulders felt gassed. I could not get the weight back up. I had to dial it back a bit on the third working set.

I was a bit bummed but I am pretty sure my shoulders/chest/arms are just a bit fatigued. I’m pretty sure the next time bench press rolls around I can hit all the reps again. If not I might deload or switch to doing barbell bench press.

Anyways, after that I did pull downs and then back extensions. I still had a bit more time so I threw in some reverse pec-deck flyes.

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
330x5x3

DB Bench Press*
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5
180x5
180x3
160x5

Lat Pull downs
60x5
80x5
100x5
120x5
160x5x3

Back Extensions
25x10x3

Rear Pec-Deck Flyes
60x10
80x10
120x8
120x6x2

* All DB weights are for total of both DBs.

Coke
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Got some good numbers in here, good luck with your goals.

halfabrotha
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Got some good numbers in here, good luck with your goals.

Thanks man.

01/13/2009 workout.

I go to the gym in the morning before I go to work. I was running late so I only got in squats and db presses.

Hit all my presses just fine so I will probably try to increase the weight next time.

I went up another 5lbs on squats and hit those all just fine. One thing I made sure to pay attention to was my depth. I've noticed that on my working sets I sometimes only go to parallel. Today I made sure to get below parallel on all my reps.

I’m not sure if it was the weight or making sure I got good depth on them all but it was feeling pretty intense after the second set. I've never had the feeling I was going to throw up doing anything other than cardio but after that second set I thought I might be sick. Took some deep breaths and burped a few times but no getting sick. After a couple minutes I felt fine. Last working set felt better then the first two sets so I’m not sure what that was about.

Quads and hams are feeling a bit sore today in that "I got in a good workout" way. Since I did not get my rows and sit-ups in today I may try to get in something tonight at home. Might even try one of those complexes I was reading about on the forum.

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
335x5x3

DB Shoulder Press*
40x5
60x5
80x5
100x5
140x5x3

* All DB weights are the total of both DBs.

Coke
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Good deal on making sure you go deep with the squats, nice job.

halfabrotha
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Today I took it easy. Did a bit of cardio and that was it. 15 minutes on the stairmaster doing 120/65 step intervals and then 10 minutes on the elliptical.

340lb squats tomorrow!

I have 10 posts now so food log (http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=halfabrotha) has been added.

halfabrotha
01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Once again time was my problem. I really need to work on getting to bed earlier, so I can get up earlier, and get in to the gym early. As it is I am already getting into work awefully late. Thankfully I work for a place that is very flexible with the hours.

All that said todays workout was just squats and bench press. Even though it was only to exercises I am wiped out today. I'm not sure what my problem is but I have been dragging the last few days. I am getting plenty of calories in and getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night but still feel tired.

On Monday and Wednesday I took BSN NO Xplode which helped with the energy level. Today I forgot to take it but still felt pretty good through the workout. After the workout I'm feeling tired.

Squats:

Felt good but I punked out on the last rep of the last set. Pretty sure not hitting that last rep was all in my head. Monday I'll hit all the sets/reps fine.

45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
340x5x3 -1

DB Bench Press*
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5
180x5x3

Coke
01-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Doing great, especially for the way you are going at...hitting squats and other movements within days of the previous effort with 'em.

halfabrotha
01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Gym was PACKED today. First time I've had to wait on anything. I actually skipped doing bent over rows because there where no open racks or bars for that matter.

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
340x5x3
Squats where good but my form got a bit sloppy on some of the reps of the last two working sets. Also I know I am not going as deep on them as I do on the warm up sets. I am going parallel or below though.

DB Shoulder Press*
40x5
60x5
80x5
100x5
140x5x3 + 1
Felt good so I did one more on my last working setting

Sit ups (slight decline)
BWx10x3

Rear Pec-Deck Flyes
40x10
90x10
100x10x2
100x6

pull downs
50x10
70x10
90x5
110x5
160x5x2
140x5

Coke
01-19-2010, 06:57 AM
All lifts are looking nice Jason.

Rugg
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Pull down BAD, Pull up GOOD

halfabrotha
01-26-2010, 07:51 PM
A little behind on my online log but with good reason. 01/20/2010 was the last time I've lifted. This was the day that I realized my body needed a bit of a rest. Numbers will be below but I realized as soon as I started doing my warm up set of squats that I was not going to be doing my full work load.

I had be lifting for a few weeks so I think it was just time for a deload. After the 01/20 workout the plan was to take the rest of the week off and then this week do a light lift week. The Feb. 1 start lifting heavy..... my next post will explain why that is now out :(

Squats
45x5x3
135x5
185x5
225x5
345x3 - was exhausted.
345x1 - DID 1 and knew I was done for sure
225x5 - these felt SUPER heavy. I knew after this my body was ready for a break.

DB BP
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5
180x5 - normally this would be 3 sets but felt super weak.

BO Rows
45x5
65x5
85x5
95x5
135x5x3

halfabrotha
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Alright so this was supposed to be a recovery / light week.... meh. Sorry for the book, skip to new plan if you don't want to read it!

This past Sunday as normal we attended both the Sunday morning and evening services. I did not realize how icy it was when I left for the evening service. I wore my nice (slippery) dress shoes and suit because I had to usher.

Part of the usher duties is to walk the outside of the building checking the parking lot and entrances as a security measure. While doing this I slipped on some ice. I fell backwards and as a reflex I tried to catch myself with my left arm... this did not end well for my elbow. I jammed my elbow so hard my arm went completely dead (no movement, no feeling, nothing) for a few minutes.

Now for the funny part.... So I go back into the church, pretty mad at myself. Of course a good friend of mine saw the whole thing and was laughing (as I would have) for falling. I go into one of the class rooms so that I can brush the snow off me and try to regain feeling in my arm. I was still having a hard time moving my fingers.

At this point my elbow and wrist start to throb and my elbow starts swelling. One of the ladies in our church that is a nurse saw that something was wrong so she came in to check it out.

She tells me I don’t look so good and has me to sit down. As soon as I sit I start feeling nausea. By this time my wife comes in the room along with a few other people. I start feeling like I am going to puke and then...... nothing.....

The next thing I know I am staring at ceiling tiles, someone is yelling my name, and I can hear someone say something about dialing 911. Yeah I blacked out. LOL!

Tina, the nurse who told me to sit down, tells me I went out for about 25 seconds. She said I postured in a way that made her think I might have had a seizure which is why they called 911. Of course I try to tell them to call it all off but no.

Once you call 911 EVERYONE comes: the police, volunteer EMT unit, and an ambulance. It was comical. They made me wear a neck brace, go on a back board, gave me an IV and drove me to the ER in the ambulance. I was laughing the whole way. All the EMTs and police officers were great. They knew it was not serious but said they had to do it. So I had a good time with it.

So anyways, they took x-rays at the ER but they could not tell if I broke my elbow or not because it was too swollen to see anything. The ER doc said with the amount of swelling he was pretty sure I have a fracture. I don't think I do because the pain is not too bad and while limited, I can move my arm fine.

I go to an orthopedist tomorrow to find out what the damage is. Really hope I just jammed it and have to just rest for a few weeks. Either way, with the limited range of motion and the pain I am feeling, I am pretty sure I won't be lifting anytime in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

(Sorry for the long post...)

New Plan!

Since I can't lift right now, I am going to take the time and focus on losing fat. I'm going to lose some muscle anyways from not being able to lift so I might as well try cut as much as possible while my elbow heals.

My focus now is going to be on my diet and doing some light cardio. I'll ramp the cardio up was my elbow permits. I have not figured out the exact numbers but I am figuring I need to probably be around 2000 cals. For my weight this is a bit low but with my job I sit alot and since I can't do a lot of cardio I figure it needs to be a little low.

So 2000 cals a day. not sure about the macros, I need to research. I would guess a 40/40/20 or a 40/30/30. I'm also going to look into getting something to help my slow metabolism... something like Nitor. I have some left over animal cuts I'll probably use up first.

I kind of fell off logging my intake on fitday, but in order to meet this new goal I will be getting back at that.

Anyways, going to do a bit of research but as it stands fat loss is the new goal. Something around 1~2lbs a week is usually what I do when I focus on it. Not too fast but enough to see results. Like I said I will be researching more but feel free to beat me down with any info you have.

LadyGrip
01-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Ouch- the elbow thing sounds painful (the entire ambulance thing was comical- sorry:). For the weight loss, I would stick to 40/30/30. I've become a master at losing weight but also feeling FULL. My normal breakfast consists of an egg on two slices of whole wheat (Sara Lee 45 calorie bread) topped with one piece of smoked turkey breast (deli meat), 1 cup milk and a cup of grapes. It's either that or I have FiberOne cereal (any high fiber food is good- you can eat more of it) w/ a banana & Milk or something similar. Dinner is 2 to 4 oz. deli smoked turkey breast on whole wheat bread (or on a thin bun - "EarthGrains" came out with a really great whole wheat thin bun..tastes awesome and only has 100 calories in it), fruit and milk. Then for supper (some call it Dinner) I eat light..3 oz. of meat, veggies & milk ..or one cup of whatever (spagetti, hotdishes, etc). For fillers during the day, I eat a cup of grapes (filling food), a banana (filling food), a FiberOne granola bar (I love these!!), a handful of carrots, pickles (the non-sweetened pickles are a filling food). You can google online if a food is a filling one or not- stay away from the non-filling foods...they will drive you nuts.

Good luck with your weight loss, hope the elbow is okay!!

Coke
01-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Wow man, too bad about what happened, tons of drama there - hope it is a minor injury. Good luck trimming down the next few months.

halfabrotha
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
So I went to the doc Wednesday and they confirmed I have a radial head fracture. They make it sound like it will heal on its own, no cast, splint, or sling needed. I am finding that I do need to be very careful with it. The wrong movement and it becomes very uncomfortable.

Last night, I was working from home and went to throw a diet dr pepper can away. Not paying attention, I pushed it in the trash can with my left hand and my elbow popped. Let me tell ya, that did NOT tickle. I know doc said it would heal on its own but that is not normal. If it does that again I might give them a call to make sure it is not more injured then they think. OR it could be that I am just a big whimp....

So far diet is going ok. Hitting around my calorie intake but need to take in more protein. Logging my food on fit day but I may start logging my meals on here is wellm just for the accountability. I enjoy getting the beat down from people, keeps me motivated.

I agree with you LadyGrip, I think a 40/30/30 might be the way to go so I feel full. So far the only time hunger has been a problem is in the morning. Here is the basic daily meal so far:

Breakfast: Oatmeal and black tea w/splenda
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Sandwich (2 slices Rotella's 100% Wheat, a little mayo, cheese, serving of deli meat), baked chips or cup of soup.
Snack: 1 scoop protein w/ water
Dinner: Whatever we are having, usually : portion of chicken, beef or pork, veggie, potato.
Snack : pb sandwich or yogurt and/or 1 scoop of protein w/ 1% milk

Of course this veries because I am not the kind of person that eats the same stuff every day for every meal.

Also I started taking Universal Animal Cuts. This is left over from earlier in the year. Think I am going to order some Nitor tonight. Also hoping to start some light cardio next week.

LadyGrip
01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
ARGH..I typed out a post and accidentally hit something wrong and it closed my browser!! Anyway- are you sure you're eating enough calories in order to lose weight? I find that if I don't take in enough, I don't lose - my body goes into starvation mode and will absolutely not release ..and will pick every damn calorie out of the foods that I do eat and store it away. When I first cleaned up my diet, I ate too little and got really frustrated that I wasn't losing quickly enough. I re-inventoried what I was eating, added a bit more and it started melting off.

Are you doing whey or soy protein? Maybe toss an extra protein drink w/ milk in your morning routine w/ your banana to keep you feeling satisfied? I can't stand eating protein powder when mixed with water..I have to mix it with milk or I'm not able to handle drinking it!:) There are some pretty decent protien bars out there as well (GNC makes some pretty decent ones).

Happy healing!
Amy

halfabrotha
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
ARGH..I typed out a post and accidentally hit something wrong and it closed my browser!! Anyway- are you sure you're eating enough calories in order to lose weight? I find that if I don't take in enough, I don't lose - my body goes into starvation mode and will absolutely not release ..and will pick every damn calorie out of the foods that I do eat and store it away. When I first cleaned up my diet, I ate too little and got really frustrated that I wasn't losing quickly enough. I re-inventoried what I was eating, added a bit more and it started melting off.

Are you doing whey or soy protein? Maybe toss an extra protein drink w/ milk in your morning routine w/ your banana to keep you feeling satisfied? I can't stand eating protein powder when mixed with water..I have to mix it with milk or I'm not able to handle drinking it!:) There are some pretty decent protien bars out there as well (GNC makes some pretty decent ones).

Happy healing!
Amy

I'm actually wondering the same thing. I chose to start around 2000 calories because in the past this is about what my intake was to lose 1 ~ 2 pounds a week. At the time I was actually consuming around 2.3K but also doing cardio 5 days a week.

I guess I'll see once I start weighing myself on a regular basis if my intake is enough. I may even get one of the BF scales just to see if I start seeing a decrease. I know they are not accurate but I should at least be able to get a good idea of loss of fat.

Right now I am taking whey protein (http://http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html). I agree, much better with milk.

LadyGrip
01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
It's tough gauging how many calories to take in as we all differ so much.

Not sure if it's really accurate or not but one formula for men is to multiply your weight (in pounds) by 14 which is a rough estimate of daily calories needed to maintain weight. To lose, deduct 500 calories from that figure in order to lose about 1 pound a week.

halfabrotha
01-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow, so I just entered in my food for yesterday.. yeah I under ate. only took in 1600 cals. Not good. LOL what a waste... I love eating, had I logged this yesterday i would have had another snack :P.

LadyGrip
01-29-2010, 10:00 PM
That'll teach you to track your calories! LOL

Coke
02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Hope you are healing well, where are you located in the midwest area?

halfabrotha
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Elbow is doing ok but I HATE THIS! I did not realize until this happened how much you use both your arms. I miss going to the gym and lifting. Hopefully i'm feeling good enough that I can start at least doing some light cardio next week.

I'm in Omaha,Ne.

LadyGrip
02-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Can you do anything with your lower body until the elbow heals? Maybe some incline presses, leg extensions, etc?

Ahh..you've been getting the same crappy weather that we've been getting. I'm in Marshall, MN which is in SW MN ..about 4.5 hours from Omaha. I'm actually making a trip down to Bellevue, NE the weekend of the 12th for a little R&R. My sister and brother-in-law are down there (My brother-in-law is in the Airforce) so I'm going there for a few days (without any kids!!!) to get in a little R&R and probably visit a few bars as well!!

Hang in there- you'll be back to the gym in no time!

halfabrotha
02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Actually, yeah, I think next week i am going to try to get in some light cardio and some legg work. I don't like machines but I'll probably just on some for some leg work.

I actually live in Bellevue. I always say Omaha because that is where everyone knows about in NE. My father was in the airforce and was stationed here for 17 of his 20 years in the airforce. Going to the gym on base with dad is what really got me into lifting. It's actually a pretty nice gym if your bro can get you on.

Have fun and stay safe while you're in town :).

LadyGrip
02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh for weird- I always say "I'm going to Omaha" when people ask because when I say I'm going to Bellevue, they always ask where the hell that is. So I save myself the trouble of having to explain and I just tell them I'm going to Omaha! Yeah- for sure I'll have to see if my brother-in-law can bring me on base to the gym. I'd love to check it out ...I'll probably feel like a SHRIMP there! Not sure if they would let me work-out there or not ..if not, I'll resort to the closest YMCA (just cardio on weekends so no biggie).

Good luck with the lower body training- machines do suck but that's about all I'm doing right now until I build up a bit more (and get a partner to train/spot with).