PDA

View Full Version : what are macros?

betog22
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
ok this might sound stupid but ive been reading alot and one thing i dont get is... what are macros and how do they play a part in weight loss...somebody please school me on this. by the way, i have a goal to lose 21 pounds by april 1st

newfarris
01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Macros refers to the Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats that foods are comprised of. Different ratios/amounts of these Macros can help depending on what a person wants to do. For instance, if one wants to gain muscle and lose fat, a good way to do this is to eat a diet high in protein, moderate in carbs, and low in fats.

Of course, one would want to also exercise. The more muscle you have the more fat your body will be able to burn. This is one reason why weight training is so fantastic.

tom183
01-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Macros is short for macronutrients. The macronutrients are carbohydrate, protein and fat.

betog22
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
ok so in my case, im in a contest to see who can lose the most fat, how would i go about that?

newfarris
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Eat less calories than you normally do. Instead of just eating a couple large meals a day, spread it out to 6 or so smaller meals throughout the day (so a small meal every couple hours). Exercise every day.

The search function will yield lots of threads or posts for you.

tom183
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I think you will find this article useful. Post back if you have any more specific questions.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/complete.htm