PDA

View Full Version : Contest prep 2010!

Allen Cress
01-11-2010, 09:19 AM
After 2 weeks off training and diet its time to get down to buisness. I am 14 weeks out from my contest and will be gradually getting back into training this week with a slightly lower intensity level since I've been off for 2 weeks.

I am starting my diet at 3000 calories. My starting weight is 210 lbs.

I will be doing a 6 day bodypart split routine. For cardio I will be doing 2 Ab/Core circuits per week and 2 different complexes as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress made during this past off season and stepping back on stage. Hope you guys enjoy the Journal. I will post pics every few weeks.

Allen Cress
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Today I did my first complex of the week after my regular weight training session. I was in extreme oxygen debt. EPOC was huge today.

The complex was a shoulder girdle/core oriented blast.

All were done for 5 reps each side and done for 4 sets:
1a) Single arm DB Clean & Press
1b) Single arm DB front swing
1c) Side lateral throw from the ground
1d) Heavy bent laterals with swing

This is how you burn off fat!!

Allen Cress
01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
I just finished my first week back to training and diet and have lost 4 lbs and am at 204 lbs. I am 13 weeks out.

After training Hamstrings and Traps today I did 3 sets of Quad Blasts follwed by 3 sets of Step ups into Reverse Lunge combo. I could barely walk at this point or breathe.

Coke
01-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I took a look at your site, you have a very nice training operation...good luck with future plans Allen.

Allen Cress
01-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I took a look at your site, you have a very nice training operation...good luck with future plans Allen.

It has grown a lot in the past 6 years and continues to do so. Thanks for the support.

AKMass
01-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I'll be watching this log. Did you take before pics at 210 lbs?

Off Road
01-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Holy cow that looks brutal :eek:
Much respect for being able to crank that out.

Allen Cress
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll be watching this log. Did you take before pics at 210 lbs?

Here are a couple pics I took before I took my 2 week break weighing 215lbs.

Allen Cress
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Today hunger has increased and can tell my metabolic rate is increasing due to the training and complexes & circuits I'm doing at the end of workouts.

Here is what my current diet looks like:

Meal 1
- 16 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 shredded wheat biscuits

Meal 2
- 225 grams Chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice

Meal 3
- 225g Chicken or 3 scoops Nitrean
- 200g Potato

Meal 4
- 2 cans Tuna
- 5 rice cakes

Meal 5
- 225g 96% lean beef
- 200g potato or 1 cup rice

Meal 6
- 3 cups liquid egg whites or 225g Tilapia
- 5g fish oil

I've lost a total of 7 lbs in first 2 weeks of prep.

Mclovin1
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Acress:

Do you prefer to diet on a higher carb low fat plan? Do you find it works just aswell or you don't like the high fat approach?
Being one of Scott Abels guys do you do cheat days during prep.?

How is your 6 day plan set up? Isn't 6 days striaght training with extra cardio and circuits abit much ? LOL

Wish you the best

Marc

Allen Cress
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Acress:

Do you prefer to diet on a higher carb low fat plan? Do you find it works just aswell or you don't like the high fat approach?
Being one of Scott Abels guys do you do cheat days during prep.?

How is your 6 day plan set up? Isn't 6 days striaght training with extra cardio and circuits abit much ? LOL

Myself I prefer a carb based diet. Its all individual and can be tweaked from prep to prep depending on the person. No one should do a straight high fat approach as glycogen is extremely important and carb days should be put in appropriately. I did a high fat approach during the first part of this past off season with one carb day mid week and it was fine then I switched back to high carbs. I have found over the years that my body will respond to whatever diet I use. This is not typical of your avaerage person though.

I only have spike days if my body is downregulating and they are needed. 2 years ago I had 4 spike days during a 12 week prep and last year I only had 1 spike day at 4 weeks out during an 11 week prep.

I'm doing a bodypart split over 6 days. For me its not too much because I've have a high workload capacity after years of proper progression. I'm 33 and have been training since I was 17. For the average trainee doing the complexes and circuits I'm doing would be too much especially during contest prep. I will tweak things as I go depending on how my recovery is as my body becomes depleted over the course of my prep. I am not doing any steady state cardio at this point.

Mclovin1
01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replys,

Please keep the updates coming, myself and many others get motivation from reading such posts

Marc

AKMass
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Here are a couple pics I took before I took my 2 week break weighing 215lbs.

Lookin thick! What did you weigh in your avatar pic?

Allen Cress
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Lookin thick! What did you weigh in your avatar pic?

185 lbs

theos
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Lookin' great at 215 lbs...GOOD LUCK...

theos

Coke
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Looking super in those shots.

cphafner
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
very cool. What show?

Allen Cress
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
very cool. What show?

The Indiana Championships. I got 2nd in it last year.

cphafner
01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
The Indiana Championships. I got 2nd in it last year.

Cool. I see some very high protein meals in there. 60-70g. Is that normal for you, or just pre contest?

Allen Cress
01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Cool. I see some very high protein meals in there. 60-70g. Is that normal for you, or just pre contest?

Because I was eating 5000-6000 in off season this is normal for this prep. Its different year to year and adjust accordingly.

cphafner
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Because I was eating 5000-6000 in off season this is normal for this prep. Its different year to year and adjust accordingly.

Gotcha. I'm looking forward to watching and learning in here.

DMedley
01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Allen welcome to the WBB team. I am really looking forward to watching you prep for the contest. My biggest interest is the using of complexes, so I hope you will keep including them in your journal.

Currently I am doing them 3 days per week and hoping to begin seeing some lard melt off.

:hello:

cant hit bombz
01-22-2010, 08:22 AM
185 lbs

Will be very interested to see the pics for this contest compared to your site pics.

Off Road
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Because I was eating 5000-6000 in off season.
Are those clean calories or are you a little looser in the off-season?

Allen Cress
01-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Are those clean calories or are you a little looser in the off-season?

Around 5000 were clean sources, but to get to 6000 I had to eat calrie dense easily digested food like Fruit juices, pop tarts occassionaly, eating out at higher quality restaurants, etc....

It was a task.

Off Road
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
It was a task.
Sounds like it, especially the clean 5,000.

Allen Cress
01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
After re-assesment I dropped my calories from 3000 and am now staggering them at 2200 and 2500. I should start burining off quite a bit of fat with this diet change.

Training was great all week and after doing 3 sets of Quad blasts and BW Step up/Reverse lunge combo yesterday after training my hams & traps my quads are sore along with my glutes and hams.

I dropped 1lb this week.

radioheadhead
01-23-2010, 06:05 PM
height? (sorry if I missed it)

look great in your avatar @ 185!

Mclovin1
01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
If you lost 7lb in the first two weeks of prep. What was the reasoning behing dropping cals further ?

How is your week set up?

IE:
Monday-chest
Tuesday-back
etc
etc
etc

Do you have a weekly cheat MEAL to kep you sane?

Allen Cress
01-24-2010, 09:47 AM
height? (sorry if I missed it)

look great in your avatar @ 185!

I'm 5'10"

Allen Cress
01-24-2010, 09:53 AM
If you lost 7lb in the first two weeks of prep. What was the reasoning behing dropping cals further ?

How is your week set up?

IE:
Monday-chest
Tuesday-back
etc
etc
etc

Do you have a weekly cheat MEAL to kep you sane?

I dropped it based on my bio-feedback, which includes things like energy levels, hunger, appetite, workout performance, etc...... I would rather be ahead of the game instead of playing catch up.

My split is Chest, Arms, Quads, Back, Shoulders, Hams with other things combined with certain workouts like circuits or complexes.

No I don't have a cheat meal every week, that would defeat the purpose of my prep and hinder my results. You should not have a cheat meal just because you want one and if you do you shouldn't be competing because that is the wrong mindset. I'm perfectly fine eating the way I do and enjoy it. I enjoy the whole process of competing.

Allen Cress
01-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Since dropping my calories and staggering them the last 5 days my body has already made changes. Skin is much tighter and the muscle is looking much more hard and dense.

Training Back Today. I'm on my 2nd workout for Back in my routine and will do Top end Deadlifts today as one of my movements, which should definitley pre-exhaust the upper and mid-back muscles along with the 4 other exericses. Then I will do my Power Sequence for 4 sets of 5 rounds to jack up my metabolic rate even more.

Shemz
01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Very interesting to follow. You seem to cut quite a few lbs on a small number of days without losing any muscle, does this also have to do with your 'slingshot' workout? Do you have any new pictures to compare with the ones you put in this thread where you were 205 lbs? I was also wondering, do you personally feel stronger/better than before your last contest, do you feel you've made any improvements and thanks to what?

Allen Cress
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Very interesting to follow. You seem to cut quite a few lbs on a small number of days without losing any muscle, does this also have to do with your 'slingshot' workout? Do you have any new pictures to compare with the ones you put in this thread where you were 205 lbs? I was also wondering, do you personally feel stronger/better than before your last contest, do you feel you've made any improvements and thanks to what?

The intial weight loss in the first week or so is mostly water, especially since I was off 2 weeks prior to starting my prep. The slingshot is just now really starting to take effect. My energy levels are high and my strength is going up as well. So for the first 3-5 weeks of my prep I will actually grow due to the last program and resting for 2 weeks. All my type II fibers are firing on all cylinders. I don't have any pics yet, I will post some within the next couple weeks.

I don't neccesarily feel stronger or better, but I do feel I've made improvements. I feel I have more density and size especially in my weak points which are my Hams and Glutes, but honestly won't be able to tell until I'm in contest condition. The improvements are due to proper programming and progressions from one program to the next as well as consistent nutrition day in and day out.

Shemz
01-28-2010, 03:15 AM
This overshoot method seems really interesting. Is there somewhere i can find some more information about it? And would it benefit a person if it was implemented in their routine. By this i mean, let's say i've been doing a program for quite some time now, i take a rest week and would then try the overshoot method, take rest and pick up the old program again, would this be a good way?

How did your back workout go?

Allen Cress
01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
This overshoot method seems really interesting. Is there somewhere i can find some more information about it? And would it benefit a person if it was implemented in their routine. By this i mean, let's say i've been doing a program for quite some time now, i take a rest week and would then try the overshoot method, take rest and pick up the old program again, would this be a good way?

How did your back workout go?

Its actually clinical studies done on type II fibers and athletes. My mentor Scott Abel goes into detail about it in his book The Abel Approach.

It depends on your current workload capacity and what you have been doing. Not just anyone can do a slingshot type of program because if their body isn't ready for it you can do more harm than good and it needs to be monitored while you are doing it to know when to take a break. You would not go back to the exact routine you were doing prior.

If any individual trains with high intensity they should always take a break from training every 10-16 weeks depending on their program and how the body responds to it.

The back workout was brutal and afther the Power sequence I was laying on the ground for about 5 min because of the O2 debt!

Allen Cress
01-30-2010, 11:08 AM
After dropping my calories to 2200-2500 this past week I have lost 2 lbs and am weighing in at 201 lbs. Hunger is starting to increase but energy levels are still high on my 6 day split. I can tell a difference in this past week by just looking a little harder.

Here is my last workout of the week:

Hams:

Single Leg cur 5 x 10-15 reps
Seated Leg curl 4 x 15-20
Lying leg curl 4 x 12-15
Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 15 (only come up to top of knees)

Traps
Single arm cross body shrug 5 x 8-10

Quad Blast 3 sets
BW Step up/Reverse lunge combo 3 x 20 EL

Unholy
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Much respect man. I love the thread so far. Everything makes a lot of sense and I like your approach. What do you hope to come in at on stage weight wise? I know the number is fairly irrelevant but I was just wondering how much stage weight you hoped to put on in your last offseason.

Allen Cress
01-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Much respect man. I love the thread so far. Everything makes a lot of sense and I like your approach. What do you hope to come in at on stage weight wise? I know the number is fairly irrelevant but I was just wondering how much stage weight you hoped to put on in your last offseason.

I plan to be even more conditioned than last year so its hard to say as far as stage weight. I was about 183lbs last year so around that is probably where I will land but in even better condition.

DMedley
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Today I did my first complex of the week after my regular weight training session. I was in extreme oxygen debt. EPOC was huge today.

The complex was a shoulder girdle/core oriented blast.

Alan, are you doing a complex at the end of each workout? Do you ever do them on the off days?

Allen Cress
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Alan, are you doing a complex at the end of each workout? Do you ever do them on the off days?

I am only doing complexes twice a week and 2 other days I am doing ab/core circuits consisting of 9 exercises done back to back and for 4-5 rounds.

I never do complexes on off days, but where I place them depends on the context of the program. They could be integrated into the main workout or done after. For this particular program they are done after. I am doing a 6 day split so I need my one day off to rest and recover.

Allen Cress
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Just finished Quads and Shoulder girdle blast. Can't walk or breathe!

Here is a sample of one of the workouts in my program:

1) Leg press 6 x 15-20
2) Hack squat 4 x 8-10
3) Horizontal Leg press 4 x 12-15
4) Leg ext. 5 x 10-12
5) Abductor/Adductor superset 3 x 15 each
6) Lunges 3 x 15 EL

Shoulder Blast x 4 sets

Then fall to floor!!!

BCorn
02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
what is this......"Single arm cross body shrug"?

and what is your "shoulder blast"?

thanks.

Allen Cress
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
what is this......"Single arm cross body shrug"?

and what is your "shoulder blast"?

thanks.

The shoulder girdle blast is already posted in this thread. The sghrug is just as it says. Holding one DB reach across your body on the descent and then just do a normal shrug.

Mclovin1
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Since you've lowered your cals has your macros been changed at all?

IE: Reduction mainly from carbs??

Have your food choices changed aswell.......

Whats a typical day at present

thanks

Allen Cress
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Since you've lowered your cals has your macros been changed at all?

IE: Reduction mainly from carbs??

Have your food choices changed aswell.......

Whats a typical day at present

thanks

My macros stayed the same when I reduced my calories for both my 2200 and 2500 calorie day. Food choices are the same and will remain the same until maybe the last 2 weeks or so, then I will lean more towards carbs that have a longer poly chain because they tend to be better for cosmetic purposes. My loading days up to the contest will be a 180 from my current diet.

Here is sample of my 2500 cal day:

1) 2.5 cups liquid egg whites, 2 shredded whaet biscuits or 3/4 cup oats, 3 grams fish oil

2) 200g chicken, 200g potato

3) 200g chicken, 200g potato or 1 cup rice

4) 2 cans tuna, 5 rice cakes

5) 200g chicken or tilapia, 150g potato or 2/3 cup rice

6) 2.5 cups egg whites, 3 grams fish ooil

Mclovin1
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks,

Yes i joined Scott Abels forum just last week and see some commentry about cosmetic friendly foods....

When you say a " 180" what do you mean? Carb loading prior to your show?

How much protein in 1 cup egg whites? I thought 1 cup was like 7 eggs???? you eat 17-18 egg whites twice daily

Allen Cress
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks,

Yes i joined Scott Abels forum just last week and see some commentry about cosmetic friendly foods....

When you say a " 180" what do you mean? Carb loading prior to your show?

How much protein in 1 cup egg whites? I thought 1 cup was like 7 eggs???? you eat 17-18 egg whites twice daily

No not carb loading, that is not a good way to load its just been around a long time and no one wants to get away from it. My loading just depends on my condition, how depleted I am, etc...

1 cup egg whites is 25 grams protein

ELmx479
02-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow, you are very discipline with your diet and it shows. I am interested in learning more about dieting and I believe this is the journal to do so. Do you not eat broccoli or any fruits or vegetables?

Allen Cress
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow, you are very discipline with your diet and it shows. I am interested in learning more about dieting and I believe this is the journal to do so. Do you not eat broccoli or any fruits or vegetables?

I don't eat any veggies because I just don't like them but i could incorporate them if I wanted. During contest prep i don't eat any fruit as they are not really cosmetic friendly due to water retention, but I do eat them in the off season.

Allen Cress
02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Here are a few pics I took today. My weight is at 200lbs and I'm leaning out nice and slow.

As for diet, since my energy levels are still high I am going to just do 2200 calories everyday for now instead of staggering 2500-2200.

tornquad2
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
what do you do when you feel a little overtrained

Allen Cress
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
what do you do when you feel a little overtrained

Thats almost too general of a question. Do you mean while I'm in cointest prep or in general?

Time+Patience
02-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Your Front Double Biceps pose looks great. You have very nice sweep to your quads, your lats flare out very well, and your arms compliment everything nicely.

I'm also jealous of your Back Double Biceps pose - your upper back is very thick! I need to work on that a bit more.

Would you say there's 1 or 2 exercises that you incorporate that really works the upper back area well for you? Recently, I've been playing with a lot of different angles on BB Rows and on Hammer Strength Rows. I was thinking Incline DB Rows might be ideal, what would you recommend?

tornquad2
02-06-2010, 08:20 AM
in contest mode also when doing your shoulder complexes how much weight did you use and what is a side lateral from the floor. ps am tornquad2 from scotts board

Allen Cress
02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Would you say there's 1 or 2 exercises that you incorporate that really works the upper back area well for you? Recently, I've been playing with a lot of different angles on BB Rows and on Hammer Strength Rows. I was thinking Incline DB Rows might be ideal, what would you recommend?

One thing with building a back is proper rowing technique. Make sure on bent BB rows you are parallel to the floor unlike most who raise up to 45 degress. Also keep your elbows in a soft lockout position on the eccentric part of the row so you don't initiate the movement with your brachialis and bicep. Always think about stretching the muscle on the eccentric part of the lift and then pull into a contraction.

As far as exercises there is no 1 or 2 that are best but any form of rows are great along with top end deadlifts for 8-15 reps.

Allen Cress
02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
in contest mode also when doing your shoulder complexes how much weight did you use and what is a side lateral from the floor. ps am tornquad2 from scotts board

As I get closer to the contest my energy levels will drop and so will my strength and I just adjust my intensity accordingly.

I typically use 55-60lb dumbbells. Go to Scott's video library to see proper execution. The link is in my signature.

cphafner
02-06-2010, 02:18 PM
wow your legs seem to be getting really tight already. Does your lower body normally lean out quicker than your upper body?

ELmx479
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Nice wheels man! I weigh 200lbs also but you got me beat in those pics. How tall are you?

Allen Cress
02-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice wheels man! I weigh 200lbs also but you got me beat in those pics. How tall are you?

Thanks. I'm 5'10"

Allen Cress
02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
wow your legs seem to be getting really tight already. Does your lower body normally lean out quicker than your upper body?

No not really. My hamstrings and low back are the last things to lean out.

Mclovin1
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Acress how do you find doing such high volume whilst in contest prep mode? You seem to do crazy volume.

Do you lower carbs as you get closer?

How much cardio do you do?

Allen Cress
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Acress how do you find doing such high volume whilst in contest prep mode? You seem to do crazy volume.

Do you lower carbs as you get closer?

How much cardio do you do?

I'm use to the high volume. Too many peopel shy away from it because they think they can't progress or grow which isn't true, but you have to increase it from one program to the next. I have built up my workload capacity to be able to handle it.

I lower calories not carbs, my macros usually stay the same throughout. Remember you have to be in a calorie deficit not a carb deficit.

Right now I'm doing 1 day of steady state cardio for 45 min. Its different every prep. It depends on my current program and what my conditioning is like when I start among other variables.

tornquad2
02-07-2010, 04:53 PM
what would a shoulder workout look like and if you were feeling wore down and really sore would you take a week off or deload for a few weeks by same workout sets/reps but half the weight

Allen Cress
02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
what would a shoulder workout look like and if you were feeling wore down and really sore would you take a week off or deload for a few weeks by same workout sets/reps but half the weight

Its not that black and white. There are many ways to dial back like training with less intensity, slightly lower volume, etc.... Bio-feedback such as energy levels in the gym and out, joint pain, not being able to focus, lower appetite, etc...will determine if you need a break, but a lot of times people are not very objective when it comes to themselves.

I don't deload per say I just may back off intensity for a week at most then hit it full throttle again and if a program has run its course I take a week sometimes 2 off then start a new program. I typically take a week off every 10-15 weeks depending on how my body is doing with the program I am on. Some programs beat me up quicker than others so I just listen to my own bio-feedback and go from there.

Allen Cress
02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Since changeing my diet to just eating 2200 cal my hunger has finally hit! I am more or less hungry all day, which is good because hunger is a fat burning signal as well, but my energy levels are still good at this point.

Today I hit quads and could barely walk after, but still had to do my Shoulder blast also.

Here are a few Of my exercises for the day:

- Leg extentions 1 Strip Set ( this is basically the highest intensity technique you can use. My one set lasted 5 minutes!)
- Leg Press 5 x 10-15
- Squats 3 x 15; Lockout flex hard at top of every rep
- Horizontal leg press (feet close)
- Lunges 3 x 15
- One legged extentions 2 x 20

Coke
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Since changeing my diet to just eating 2200 cal my hunger has finally hit! I am more or less hungry all day, which is good because hunger is a fat burning signal as well, but my energy levels are still good at this point.

Good deal man, about to get ripped.

Allen Cress
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
My body is really responding well to the 2200 cal diet. Hunger is high and energy levels are steady, which is a good thing at this point. I will take more pics at 7 weeks out next week.

Today I hit Back along with my Power Sequence circuit after:

- Assisted chins 5 x 12-15
- Bent rows 4 x 8-10
- Top end Deadlifts 4 x 10-12
- Close pulldowns 4 x 12-15
- One arm hammer row 3 x 12-15

Power sequence X 4 sets

Mclovin1
02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Acress,

Do you use anything to help hunger like diet coke or sugar free jello?

Also are you natural athlete? I can't see how a natural BB in diet mode could handle that much volume?

Allen Cress
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Acress,

Do you use anything to help hunger like diet coke or sugar free jello?

Also are you natural athlete? I can't see how a natural BB in diet mode could handle that much volume?

Occassonally I dring diet sodas, but the hunger doesn't bother me because I know why its there and its there for a reason.

It doesn't matter if you are natural or not to handle volume because it ahs to do with your workload capacity. Myself along with most of my clients do this kind of volume naturally. Its all about understanding the the SAID pricciple, ICE principle and overload.

Too many people use steroids as an excuse. Granted they obviously enhance recovery but that does not determine how much voilume I put in ones program. My friend and Natural Pro Kevin Weiss trains with a lot of volume as well and his results speak for themselves. Proper programming, nutrition, and reading the body's feedback is what's important.

tornquad2
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Bro what would a chest workout look like

Allen Cress
02-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Bro what would a chest workout look like

When I write what i'm doing remember its part of a specific program and its not what i do every week as the context of the program is specific and these workouts are not designed to be done every week. Thre is a specific structure I follow week to week taht makes it a program and not just a collection of random exercises.

My last chest day was something like this:

- Seated machine fly 5 x 10-15
- Flat bar press 4 x 10-12
- Incline DB press 4 x 10-12
- Cable crossover 3 x Max
- Flat DB press 3 x 12-15

tornquad2
02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
i understand but can you explain how it would change !!! it's taylored to you but why is the whole program complicated

Allen Cress
02-19-2010, 04:13 AM
i understand but can you explain how it would change !!! it's taylored to you but why is the whole program complicated

Its not overly complicated when its layed out in front of you. The sequence of exercises from week to week is one of the keys as well as placing the complexes at the end of ceratin workouts to ensure proper recovery between muscle groups.

Mclovin1
02-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Allen

How comes you don't seem to be doing much cardio in your prep? 99.9% of bodybuilders all seem to do the early morning cardio thing just wondering why your not.
Is it because you started fairly lean?

Hows is your diet set up now that you've come down to 2200 cals.

I'm interested in your methods as i'm seeing some different ideas in your prep.

most do tons of cardio and eat a low carb diet. Not only do you not have vegtables in your diet i don't see no fat apart from fish oil which is still minimal

Allen Cress
02-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Allen

How comes you don't seem to be doing much cardio in your prep? 99.9% of bodybuilders all seem to do the early morning cardio thing just wondering why your not.
Is it because you started fairly lean?

Hows is your diet set up now that you've come down to 2200 cals.

I'm interested in your methods as i'm seeing some different ideas in your prep.

most do tons of cardio and eat a low carb diet. Not only do you not have vegtables in your diet i don't see no fat apart from fish oil which is still minimal

I am doing cardio just not your traditional steady state. My circuits and complexes at the end of my workouts are my cardio. Most people tend to do hours of cardio out of traditionalism. They think you have to do it to get shredded just like going on a low carb diet. It has its place depending on what your program is like but it should never be done for more than 45 min, 5 days a week MAX!! Early morning cardio is highly overrated in my opinion.

It comes down to proper programming and proper diet. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lean out carbs don't make you fat too many calories do. In the industry competitors go to extremes whether it with diet or cardio or both most of the time. They think you have to kill yourself to be hardcore and a bodybuilder when in fact going to extremes such as 2 hours of cardio a day 5 days a week and eating nothing but veggies and protein will cause metabolic burnout or even worse metabolic damage due to being in an absolute calorie deficit as opposed to a relative deficit. Then after the contest is over they completely binge for the next few weeks because the diet was so extreme and they rebound 20-40 lbs. Now do you think that is healthy and what this sport should be about? Of course not but most do. This is where a "good coach" is needed.

Now the other problem is just because someone has won a contest or is huge and shredded people will listen to them because they think he or she knows what they are talking about just because they look the part. With the internet there are soo many so called experts who really have no clue how to properly design a program or diet someone down safely and effectively and I see it at every contest. Of course you will have low energy levels and decreased strength, but there is a difference between starving the fat off and burning it off. There are many other things that are wrong with the industry and I'm just trying to help others not fall into that trap.

My diet is the same nutrient breakdown as before just less calories, its a carb based diet so my fat is low. Here is my typical day of eating:

1) 2 cups egg whites & 2 shredded wheat biscuits mixed together and topped with Zero cal syrup by walden farms

2) 165g Chicken, 200g potato

3) 2 cans tuna, 4 white cheddar rice cakes

4) 165g Chicken or Ostrich, 200g potato

5) 165g Chicken, 150g potato or 4 rice cakes

6) 2 cups egg whites

Allen Cress
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Destroyed Chest today and was left in some huge oxygen debt after my Ab/Core circuit. I'm not really losing weight but I am definitley getting leaner each week. My weight has been steady at 198lbs for a couple weeks. I am currently 8 weeks out and this time last year in prep I was weighing 192lbs.

cphafner
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Destroyed Chest today and was left in some huge oxygen debt after my Ab/Core circuit. I'm not really losing weight but I am definitley getting leaner each week. My weight has been steady at 198lbs for a couple weeks. I am currently 8 weeks out and this time last year in prep I was weighing 192lbs.

Sounds like the prep is going really well. Do you normally use carbs for energy instead of fats during a prep? What are your thoughts on Keto diets?

Allen Cress
02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I always use carb based diet in my prep.

As far as Keto diets go I am not a big fan of them. Thats not to say I don't use fat based diets with clients, but I always place at least one carb based day in the week to allow for glycogen replenishmnet because it is vital for certain functions in the body.

cphafner
02-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks Allen. Everyone has different sensitivity to carbs, so there is certainly no one right way to cut. Some people love keto and do well on it, some can't stand it. I definitely agree that refeeds are necessary during low/no carb diets.

Allen Cress
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Allen. Everyone has different sensitivity to carbs, so there is certainly no one right way to cut. Some people love keto and do well on it, some can't stand it. I definitely agree that refeeds are necessary during low/no carb diets.

Absolutely everyone has different needs when it comes to dieting down, but one thing about carb sensitivity is some people who are not actually carb sensitive believe they are because they use a low carb approach and when they increase their carb intake they obviously gain weight due to water retention and they think they are gaining fat. You have to give the body a chance to adjust which isn't going to happen in a week and gradually increase carbs overtime. But it is still individual.

Re-feeds are a must when doing fat based diets for optimum function and performance. In the off season I have done both a carb and fat based diet and my body works well of both, I just prefer carb based diets.

Allen Cress
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Today I hit Quads and my shoulder girdle Blast. I'm down 2 lbs this week weighing in at 196 lbs. Energy levels are still good, hunger is high, and strength levels are normal. I can see more detail in my upper back and I have definitely brought up my weak point, my hams. Still not where I want them but it takes time.

Here is my workout for today:

- Squats 4 x 20, 15, 15, 12 reps
- Leg press (feet high and close) 4 x 10-12
- Alt. Lunges 3 x 12 EL
- Leg ext. 5 x 12-15
- Abductor/Adductor 3 x 15-20
- Horizontal leg press 2 x 20-25

Shoulder Blast

Allen Cress
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Here are some pics I took today. I have been dieting for 7 weeks now and am currently 7 weeks out. I am weighing 195 lbs and have lost a total of 13 lbs. I have definitley tightened up all over compared to my last set of pics take a few weeks ago.

cphafner
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
wow looking great

Shemz
02-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Looking great already! I was wondering though; are your traps a bit behind or is it just me and the angle of the pictures?

EDIT; What i was also wondering was, do you have the intention of going up in weight class in the future or?

Allen Cress
02-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Looking great already! I was wondering though; are your traps a bit behind or is it just me and the angle of the pictures?

EDIT; What i was also wondering was, do you have the intention of going up in weight class in the future or?

My upper traps are not my best bodypart by any means but I've developed them tremendously from where they were, and its mainly the upper portion of my traps that are not my strong suit, but the middle to lower portion are my strong points. The reason they aren't as developed is because I have narrow clavicles.

Thats what a lot of people need to realize in that you can only develope the best body you have within your genetics and most tend to compare themselves to others wanting to look like them which is not a good idea and theses trainers out there promising such things make it worse on the individual.

I doubt I will move past the Light-heavyweight class as I am 33 and I currenlty compete around 185 and the top of the class is 198 lbs.

ELmx479
02-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Those are some impressive pics man. What would you say your bf % is at currently?

Allen Cress
02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Those are some impressive pics man. What would you say your bf % is at currently?

I have no clue. I never take my bodyfat, I just go by the mirror. Everyone looks different at different levels of bodyfat. The mirror doesn't lie when it comes to telling you how lean you are.

Off Road
02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
I can see some definite improvements over your old pics, shoulders and triceps mostly. It will be interesting to compare when you are at contest weight.

tornquad2
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
whats your split and how do you put in complexes into the workout

Allen Cress
02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
whats your split and how do you put in complexes into the workout

I can't lay out exactly what my program is and give the farm away.

My bodypart split is:

1) Chest
2) Arms
3) Quads
4) Back
5) Shoulders
6) Hamstrings

When placing complexes in a program look at what your training and take recovery into account by giving enough time bewteen the major muscles being worked.

Like if I did a Quad Blast it would be at least 2 or more days after I trained Quads.

Mclovin1
02-27-2010, 12:58 AM
7 weeks out you look great dude , Your workout looks a killer has there been any changes to your diet or cardio? I wondered if when you closer to the show whether you would add more normal cardio and remove the complexes to recover more?

In the refeed thread i noticed you said sometimes they are used in prep. Do you think you may get one in the next 7weeks?

Mark

Shemz
02-27-2010, 05:31 AM
My upper traps are not my best bodypart by any means but I've developed them tremendously from where they were, and its mainly the upper portion of my traps that are not my strong suit, but the middle to lower portion are my strong points. The reason they aren't as developed is because I have narrow clavicles.

Thats what a lot of people need to realize in that you can only develope the best body you have within your genetics and most tend to compare themselves to others wanting to look like them which is not a good idea and theses trainers out there promising such things make it worse on the individual.

I doubt I will move past the Light-heavyweight class as I am 33 and I currenlty compete around 185 and the top of the class is 198 lbs.

Yeah, i didn't mean it in a bad way or anything and i don't really know what your traps looked like before so it's all good!

Allen Cress
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
7 weeks out you look great dude , Your workout looks a killer has there been any changes to your diet or cardio? I wondered if when you closer to the show whether you would add more normal cardio and remove the complexes to recover more?

In the refeed thread i noticed you said sometimes they are used in prep. Do you think you may get one in the next 7weeks?

Mark

This was my last week doing the complexes due to my bio-feedback, but I'm still doing my Ab/core circuits twice per week. I haven't added any regular cardio as of yet because I'm still making progress and hopefully won't need to, but as contest gets closer I will add it in if absolutely needed.

Diet has been the same for past 3 weeks and don't look to change it anytime soon, but I'll reassess each week. No clue if I will get a spike day at this point and not concerned about it. If its needed I will take it but its a week to week assessment.

ELmx479
02-27-2010, 09:05 AM
You amaze the hell out of me how you can read your body so well. I find your entire prep interesting and helpful. I ask about your bf % just to get an idea because you look huge compared to me at the same height / weight. I agree about the mirror, it never lies.

Allen Cress
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
You amaze the hell out of me how you can read your body so well. I find your entire prep interesting and helpful. I ask about your bf % just to get an idea because you look huge compared to me at the same height / weight. I agree about the mirror, it never lies.

Reading bio-feedback is a much more effective way to determine what an individual needs to do next, especially when it comes to contest prep. Thats what is missing with a lot of bodybuilding coaches, they always palce a time line on when to do certain things during prep like when to reduce calories, add cardio, etc... You never know or can predict how an individual is going to adapt or react to certain stimuli so telling them when something specific needs to happen before they get there is ridiculous.

Reading bio-feedback is a learned process and reading your own is much harder than reading someone elses.

Mclovin1
02-28-2010, 04:23 AM
This was my last week doing the complexes due to my bio-feedback, but I'm still doing my Ab/core circuits twice per week. I haven't added any regular cardio as of yet because I'm still making progress and hopefully won't need to, but as contest gets closer I will add it in if absolutely needed.

Diet has been the same for past 3 weeks and don't look to change it anytime soon, but I'll reassess each week. No clue if I will get a spike day at this point and not concerned about it. If its needed I will take it but its a week to week assessment.

Thanks for the reply.

What was your bio feedback then to drop the complexes? lack of energy etc?

Also as your 7 weeks out now, and the complexes have been dropped will you do no more cardio other than the abs/core you mention and the one SS cardio session?

Could you give an example of your abs/core workout? How long do they last

thanks

Mark

Allen Cress
02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply.

What was your bio feedback then to drop the complexes? lack of energy etc?

Also as your 7 weeks out now, and the complexes have been dropped will you do no more cardio other than the abs/core you mention and the one SS cardio session?

Could you give an example of your abs/core workout? How long do they last

thanks

Mark

Decreased intensity, lowered energy levels, and a few more things. But its not just because I felt this way for one or 2 days is an overall effect.

For now no more traditional cardio as I will see how my body reacts in this calorie deficit, but that will be determined from week to week. I will likely add in a Glute emphasis circuit this week.

My ab/core circuits last around 30-35 min doing 4 rounds.

Mclovin1
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Excellent thanks.

The most interesting journal i've read on here so far

Can't wait to see the end product i'm so interested in your methods. A little against the grain and I like the sound of it.

Do you use any sauce on your food during prep IE: lowfat mayo on the tuna, mustard on the meats etc or is all that off limits?

Allen Cress
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Excellent thanks.

The most interesting journal i've read on here so far

Can't wait to see the end product i'm so interested in your methods. A little against the grain and I like the sound of it.

Do you use any sauce on your food during prep IE: lowfat mayo on the tuna, mustard on the meats etc or is all that off limits?

I use sea salt, all Ms. dash seasonings, mustard, spicy mustard, hot sauce, ketchup, Walden Farms pancake syrup. Only sugar based condiments are off limits. Even though this is a contest diet it still nedds to be sustainable and eating everything plain would not be.

Allen Cress
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Everything for prep couldn't be going any better at this point. I lost 3 lbs last week and am down another 3.5lbs this week. The fat is just melting off at this point and I'm only doing 1 day of steady state cardio. This shows that hours of cardio is not needed if the training protocol and diet are tailored to the individual and used to burn off fat and not starve it off like a lot of competitiors do.

I am weighing in at 192lbs. Diet is still the same as before and energy levels are fluctuating a bit from low to moderate during the week.

I'm off top the Arnold Classic tomorrow which should be a blast. I have all my food cooked and ready to go.

ELmx479
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Are you going to be at a booth, or just walking around?

Time+Patience
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I agree with the others, your explanations are interesting and unique (I'm always a fan of unique and those that don't always follow the newest trend.)

I was thinking of entering into this contest, after I had to change my choice of contest. Evansville is to far away, as I'm in Cincinnati and I don't feel like dragging the family and checking into a hotel. It would have been nice to enter a contest with a fellow WBBer.

How was the competition last year between the weightclasses? More specifically Middle and Light-Heavy. If I recall you placed 1st or 2nd in your weightclass? Is this contest a rather popular one, and does it host some solid competitors?

Allen Cress
03-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Are you going to be at a booth, or just walking around?

I'll just be a spectator this year walking around.

Allen Cress
03-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I agree with the others, your explanations are interesting and unique (I'm always a fan of unique and those that don't always follow the newest trend.)

I was thinking of entering into this contest, after I had to change my choice of contest. Evansville is to far away, as I'm in Cincinnati and I don't feel like dragging the family and checking into a hotel. It would have been nice to enter a contest with a fellow WBBer.

How was the competition last year between the weightclasses? More specifically Middle and Light-Heavy. If I recall you placed 1st or 2nd in your weightclass? Is this contest a rather popular one, and does it host some solid competitors?

I placed 2nd last year. The contest was pretty solid and the competitors in the light-heavy were competitive and the middle weight was in novice but not so much in the open division. It has really grown in popularity and they had to move to a bigger venue this year.

Allen Cress
03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
The last 3 weeks my fat has been just melting off. I have lost 6 lbs in last 2 weeks and am very pleased with my condition at this point. I am still on smae calories i have been on the past 6 weeks. Basically once my body realized there was no extra calories in it started burning off fat like crazy.

Due to my bio-feedback this Saturday i will take a Re-feed day and will probably put away about 12-15000 calories easy. I"ll post my meals when I'm done. Here are some pics from today.

Allen Cress
03-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Here is what i had on my Re-feed day:

Here's what I had saturday:

Meal 1:
-3 cheese turkey & spinach omelete
-5 eggs over medium
-large order potatoes
-4 sausage links and 4 slices bacon
-4 pieces toast with peanut butter
-1 can of chocolate covered cashews

Meal 2:
-large salad with ranch, bacon, & tomato
-1 loaf of bread with tons of garlic butter
-Roasted chicken nachos
-quarter pound mushroom swiss burger
-Large steak fries
- half pint of black rasberry chip ice cream

Meal 3:
-5 rolls of sushi
- half of a pineapple
- half bag mini rice cakes dipped in peanut butter

Meal 4:
-1 loaf rye bread with lots of butter
-Coconut shrimp
-Cheese fries with ranch
-Ravioli with chicken

Meal 5:
-Double quarter pound cheese burger
-crispy chicken club sandwich
-large fries
-1 pint of ice cream with peanut butter mixed in

I gained 18 lbs from this!

ELmx479
03-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice pics man, looking really lean. How in the hell can you eat that much food without getting sick?? An entire loaf of bread at 1 sitting?? Now, will you just go right back to your original diet tomorrow?

Allen Cress
03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice pics man, looking really lean. How in the hell can you eat that much food without getting sick?? An entire loaf of bread at 1 sitting?? Now, will you just go right back to your original diet tomorrow?

If you are in a deep supercompensation state then you can eat large quatities of food without getting full.

Yes, I went right back to my diet. I will more than likely drop 1-3 pounds this week due to the effect of the re-feed.

cphafner
03-15-2010, 08:52 PM
looking great. That MM is down right sick.

I've been watching a ton of Scott Abel's videos on youtube. Such awesome knowledge in there.

Allen Cress
03-20-2010, 09:12 AM
So after my re-feed day of roughly 16,000 calories and an 18lb weight gain last saturday I stepped on the scale this morning and as predicted i was down 2lbs from my pre-cheat weight. So I gained 18lbs and lost 20lbs. My metabolic rate is jacked from the re-feed and the day after I cheated I looked like I could step on stage, My muscles were full, vasular, and skin was tight and waqsn't holding any water til late in the day.

After next week I will cut out my steady state cardio. Calories will definitely not change until I load for the contest the week of. Weight is at 188lbs.

cphafner
03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
The refeeds are an interesting notion. The few times I've cut, I've always been so afraid to eat not clean. If I stalled I dropped the cals or increased the cardio. I've done refeeds using only carbs/protein before, but never incorporated fats.

f=ma
03-21-2010, 08:58 AM
wow awesome refeed. I would be afraid to eat like that while dieting. also, looking really lean

Allen Cress
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
The thing with re-feeds is they need to only be used if needed, but when used at the right time they will enhance fat loss not hurt it. It has nothing to do with fats, protien or carbs specifically its about spiking your calorie intake to jack up your metabolic rate so anything goes.

I use this succesfully with all clients especially competitors. I just hads a figure athlete compete placing 3rd and she had 3 cheat days during an 11 week prep and she did no cardio. Obviously its all individual but it is exteremely effective if you know how to read an individuals bio-feedback.

I will more than likely get 1 more re-feed day at 3 weeks out, but that would definitely be the last before the contest. I've had a smany as 4 re-feed days during a prep and as little as 1. Its different everytime. Thats why there is no one size fits all protocol.

f=ma
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
how do you know when you're due a refeed? do you deplete or are you in ketosis in days leading up to your refeed? i want to do one next saturday but there is very little concrete info on them because its so varied due to individual intricacies of each person's body.

ELmx479
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
With all the bodybuilding routines floating around the net I am curious as to what you would recommend to the average novice lifter?

Allen Cress
03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
how do you know when you're due a refeed? do you deplete or are you in ketosis in days leading up to your refeed? i want to do one next saturday but there is very little concrete info on them because its so varied due to individual intricacies of each person's body.

There are different factors depending on the individual. Things like energy levels in and out of the gym, concentration levels, hunger, etc.....

No you don't deplete purposely and I'm not by any means in ketosis I have 200 grams of carbs a day. I don't ever know exactly when I'm going to have a re-feed day its assessed week to week during prep. My body is depeleted due to being in a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time not due to lack of one specific nutrient. This is why re-feeds really need to be assessd by an expert. They are not there just to cheat.

Allen Cress
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
With all the bodybuilding routines floating around the net I am curious as to what you would recommend to the average novice lifter?

I design all my programs to fit an individual and I don't use a one size fits all program just because someone is a novice. I assess them and take into account an individuals current needs state and design the program to fit the person.

It depends on what you have been doing, what your goals are, what your background is, your body's leverages (long arms, short torso, etc..) among other things. So there really is no black and white answer just priciples to follow and aqdjust accordingly.

Mclovin1
03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
How much SS cardio are you doing at ths point then? I thought you said you stopped?

Allen Cress
03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
How much SS cardio are you doing at ths point then? I thought you said you stopped?

I was doing 1 day of 30 min

Behemoth
03-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Tremendous journal, I'm sorry I've missed most of the prep until now. So much can be learned from you veteran competitors

cphafner
03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info on refeeds. I've decided Scott Abel is twisted. I tried his core blast after my workout today and I dying. He was right that it was wicked hard.

Allen Cress
03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
This week has been my lowest energy week by far. I have dialed back intensity in the gym and am really listening to my body at this point. Since last Saturday I have lost 5 more lbs and am weighing in at 183.8lbs. I am in my best condition yet. One note on my weight loss, I haven't changed my diet for almost 6 weeks now and I've had a re-feed day in there. So to competitors and anyone trying to lean out give a diet time and let it do its job and don't be soo quick to reduce calories because 1 week you didn't lose a pound.

I will have one last Re-feed day this weekend and that should take me to point for the contest. I iwll look to put away more than my 16,000 calories I did on my last re-feed 2 weeks ago and I have no doubt I will be able to because is soo depeleted.

Allen Cress
03-29-2010, 08:27 AM
I gained 15 lbs on this one. A little less than 3 weeks to go.

Meal 1
- Turkey & Cheese omelet
- Hash browns
- 8 eggs over medium
- 5 sausage links
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 biscuits with peanut butter
- 3 pieces toast with peanut butter
- 1 can chocolate coverd cashews & almonds

Meal 2
- Roasted chicken nachos
- loaf bread with garlic butter
- large salad with tons ranch, cheese, bacon, eggs
- 1/2 lb Mushroom swiss burger
- large fries
- Large dessert consisting of: Black cherry and chocolate chip ice cream, angel food cake, oreo crust, whip cream, pecans

Meal 3
- 3 home made burritos
- chips and queso
- 1 candy bar
- small box chcolate covered almonds

Meal 4
- Roast beef with gravy
- Country green beans
- Mashed potatoes and gravy
- 4 corn bread muffins with butter
- bag chocolate and peanut butter dipped pretzels

Meal 5
- 2 large roast beef sandwiches
- chicken tenders
- large curly fries
- Pint of ice cream
- 1 bag of chocolate covered pretzels

I looked up my breakfast and it was a little over 5000 calories in it, good stuff!!

Allen Cress
04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
At this point I am basically ready for the contest. Next week I will reduce my working sets and do some lower rep work for a few exercises each day.

All complexes are stopped as well. I will start tweaking things the final week to peak for the contest. My weight is currently at 184 lbs so I will be right in the middle of the Light-heavyweight class.

Allen Cress
04-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Only 10 days left til showtime. Everything is point on right now. All I'm doing atthis point is posing and working out and will contimue staright thru to Wednesday next week then stop everything except posing.

I will start tweaking and loading for the contest on Wednesday-Saturday and tweak where needed/ if needed depending on how I look. I should ry out and fill out nicely. My body is completely depleted at this point.

Here are a few pics I took today.

Joe Black
04-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Holy Hell Allen, you look GREAT - you have a physique that I am striving for - everything is very symetrical an you are RIPPED.

I wish you all the best in the contest and we're lucky to have you on the AtLarge team and posting here!

vcjha
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Ah, I knew I've seen you somewhere. You were an example Christian Thibaudeau used in his article.

f=ma
04-10-2010, 12:16 PM
damn, your quads and back are truly outstanding. best of luck -- i do not think you'll need it though

cphafner
04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Holy Hell Allen, you look GREAT - you have a physique that I am striving for - everything is very symetrical an you are RIPPED.

I wish you all the best in the contest and we're lucky to have you on the AtLarge team and posting here!

No kidding. Look awesome!

joey54
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Just checking in and things look well. With your hamstrings more shredded the competition shouldn't even bother stepping onstage. Nail it in 10 days. Good luck.

Allen Cress
04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys. The goal is always top 5.

Tomorrow I start loading in calories and should start filling out nicely. Since I took my 10 days out pics I have dropped a few pounds and have become even drier and harder, just depleted, so my loading approach will take care of that. I will look to weigh in around 187-189lbs Friday. I'll be right in the middle of the light-heavyweight class. Last year when I competed at this contest I weighed in at 179 lbs as a light-heavy and took 2nd place. The added size should be apparent to the judges, but as always have to see who shows up.

Behemoth
04-13-2010, 07:46 PM
You're looking great allen, what show is it?

Allen Cress
04-14-2010, 04:46 AM
The Southern Indiana Championships

Mclovin1
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
When do you start carb loading Allen?

Allen Cress
04-14-2010, 12:49 PM
When do you start carb loading Allen?

I don't do the typical carb deplete and load as a lot of competitiors do as I find its not very effective. My peaking strategy is a little different every year as every year is different.

Not that carbs aren't needed or that I don't use them in my loading. I base everything around loading calories and the depending on what I have been doing the past 14 weeks for prep dictates how I will load and how much and with what ratios. Without giving too much away I was at 2000 calories the last 6 weeks of prep and today I started loading with 3500 calories with specific ratios which will be tweaked Thurs, Friday, and Saturday to make me full and dry.

Today I am eating 1 pound of potatoes at every meal, with other specifics as well.

Behemoth
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Red skin taters?

Allen Cress
04-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I like red and gold poatoes, much better flavor than russet

Allen Cress
04-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Well it looks like the off season paid off. last year at this contest I weighed in at 179 lbs as a light-heavyweight and it looks like this year i will weigh in at 190-192 lbs. Morning weight was right at 190 so after 4 meals should be my heaviest competition weight yet. Time to step on stage tomorrow and do battle and have a blast.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Behemoth
04-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Best of luck

f=ma
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
good luck man. post up some pics of the show

cphafner
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
good luck Allen!

f=ma
04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
anddddd? how did it go?

Allen Cress
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Another year another great contest in the books. This was by far the most competitive group I have competed against in my 15 years of bodybuilding, which made it even more fun. I weighed in at 190 lbs, up 11 lbs from last year. I still have plenty of room for growth as my weight class goes up to 198 lbs.

We were on stage for around 15 minutes straight and went thru 4 rounds of comparisons. By the end of pre-judging my legs were like jelly and whole body was fatigued. It was definitley a battle to say the least. Now the winner of my class (and overall) was hands down the largest and best porportioned guy in the contest, lacked some conditioning but overall was best on stage by far.

So after seeing him it was up in the air where 2nd thru 5th would place. There were 10 guys in my class and all with good physiques. I ended up placing 3rd and was extremely happy especially with the competiton I was against. Two of the head judges( who are also National judges and chairmen) pulled me aside after the contest and told me I had one of the best overall physiques hands down and that they saw me doing exteremly well at National level shows in 2-4 years. They said I just needed some more overall size and to tighten and work on my glute/ham area, which I aready knew was a weak point and has improved but needs more work.

Now its time to take a small break and relax then work my butt off this off season to continue to improve.

ThomasG
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Congrats Allen!!

Coke
04-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Placing in the top three of an extremely competitive show is awesome, major props!!

Allen Cress
04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Here are some pics from the contest and also the winner of my class who is about 3-4 inches shorter and 10 lbs heavier.

Behemoth
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Nice job you looked great. What becomes of this journal now?

Allen Cress
04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
I will start a New journal for my off season in about 2 weeks after my time off.

cphafner
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
great showing! congrats.

Shemz
04-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Great result really! No shame in being 3th there! I've probably asked this before (and i forgot), but how many more years do you plan on competing?

Another thing i was wondering about is, who is your "idol", what bodybuilder(s) of the past or this moment right now do you find inspirational? I mean, are you impressed by the physique of a Phil Heath or can someone like Serge Nubret inspire you more?

f=ma
04-20-2010, 03:22 AM
great job allen. youre def right though, your class winner is immense.

Allen Cress
04-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Great result really! No shame in being 3th there! I've probably asked this before (and i forgot), but how many more years do you plan on competing?

Another thing i was wondering about is, who is your "idol", what bodybuilder(s) of the past or this moment right now do you find inspirational? I mean, are you impressed by the physique of a Phil Heath or can someone like Serge Nubret inspire you more?

I plan on competing as long as I have fun doing it. Honestly my best years are still ahead of me and I look to compete into my late 50s. I love the sport and coaching my clients as well so i will always be involved regardless.

As far as physiques I like old school ones such as Frank Zane and Arnold of course and today I like Flex lewis and Phil heath. I like the more asthetic physique with small waist and not blocky look. That being said I have never met a more down to earth nice guy who represents the sport in a positive manner more than Jay Cutler.

Time+Patience
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
They said I just needed some more overall size and to tighten and work on my glute/ham area, which I aready knew was a weak point and has improved but needs more work.

Now its time to take a small break and relax then work my butt off this off season to continue to improve.

I think a lot of competitors need to work on that specific area, but you know when someone is in shape as soon as they turn to the rear and the hams and gluts are put on display.

I guess you'll literally be working your butt off huh? The jump from 179 to 190 is tremendous, another 5 pounds will have you doing even better.

By looking at pictures that you've posted a few pages prior in this thread it appears that you were more conditioned then compared to this most recent contest-- I assume the previous pictures were from the last Indiana contest? Do you believe you could have came in any tighter or was this your best?

It must have been very encouraging to get those comments from the judges!

Great job, very impressive. The Light-Heavies are usually the toughest weight class, or I believe within local contests.

Allen Cress
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I think a lot of competitors need to work on that specific area, but you know when someone is in shape as soon as they turn to the rear and the hams and gluts are put on display.

I guess you'll literally be working your butt off huh? The jump from 179 to 190 is tremendous, another 5 pounds will have you doing even better.

By looking at pictures that you've posted a few pages prior in this thread it appears that you were more conditioned then compared to this most recent contest-- I assume the previous pictures were from the last Indiana contest? Do you believe you could have came in any tighter or was this your best?

It must have been very encouraging to get those comments from the judges!

Great job, very impressive. The Light-Heavies are usually the toughest weight class, or I believe within local contests.

The glute/ham tie in is largely dependent on genetics when it comes to having that striated look, either you have it or you don't so you unfourtunately have to work with what you have. This doesn't mean someone isn't in contest shape just because their glute/hams are not shredded. That being said I can still make improvements but this sport is a marathon and takes time and as long as I continue to improve from year to year that is my only concern as I compete against myself and not really others. Placings are just a bonus.

This was the best condition I have been in, but its hard to tell for you guys especially thru pics and with the competition tan and dependent on the quality of the camera and stage lighting, etc... Like in regular lighting without the tan you could see striations thru my delts, biceps, etc... veins running thru my abs, quads, delts and that hard dense look. I do believe I could have been a bit tighter in my low back but thats about it.

Middleweights and Light-heavyweights are usually the most competitive at regional and national contests and even some local shows.

Coke
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Middleweights and Light-heavyweights are usually the most competitive at regional and national contests and even some local shows.

No joke, the light heavys used to be hands down the toughest but that's been changing lately.

Time+Patience
04-20-2010, 07:28 PM
The glute/ham tie in is largely dependent on genetics when it comes to having that striated look, either you have it or you don't so you unfourtunately have to work with what you have. This doesn't mean someone isn't in contest shape just because their glute/hams are not shredded.

Not everyone is destined to have the striated glutes, but if you come in ripped the lines between your glutes and hamstrings should be very distinct, regardless if they are void of any striations. Those tend to be the areas that are the "last" to come in for the majority of competitors, regardless of genetics.

That being said I can still make improvements but this sport is a marathon and takes time and as long as I continue to improve from year to year that is my only concern as I compete against myself and not really others.

I think I can subscribe to this thinking right here. I would rather do better than I did the previous time in terms of physical preparation and condition. Like you said, you have about 8 pounds to gain to stay in the Light-Heavies, so put in the hard work and you, as well as us, will see another year results.

Joe Black
05-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Hey Allen, how's everything going?

You ready to get your bulk on? What are your next plans?

Allen Cress
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Allen, how's everything going?

You ready to get your bulk on? What are your next plans?

I just started a new journal "Allen's off season training and nutrition", you can check it out there.

Joe Black
05-07-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm there!