PDA

View Full Version : rack pulls..

JSully
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Does anybody know the correllation between rack pulls and deads off the floor?

Pulling from knee level or above is super easy and it's expected to pull 100+lbs over your deadlift max.

What about below the knees? Does anybody else have trouble with this? I seem to be only able to pull about 50lbs under my max off the floor??

Is this just me or does anyone else have this issue?

NickAus
01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
My deadlift is not very good so hopefully some other lifters chime in but my raw dead from the floor is 500, mid shin 550, middle of knee caps 600.

martin
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I seem to struggle most starting half way between floor and knees. Over knee's is easy maybe 10% more, under is slightly more than my max.

Lones Green
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Give this a read, Jake:

http://westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/articles2007/RACK_WORK_august_2007.pdf

When I do rack pulls, I prefer doing them low with bands.

If you pull less from mid shin or so than you do full range, you probably use a lot of leg drive and not much back. I know pulling 2-4 inches off the floor is harder for me, because I use a ton of leg drive, and am not able to get my legs in the pull well.

MarcusWild
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I suck at deadlifting with the plates on 4" or 6" boxes. My max is under what I can do at meets. There was a period where it was so bad my deficit dead was more than my dead off boxes.

Invain
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Anything at knee height or below for me is less than my max off the floor.

MikeWilliams
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Anything at knee height or below for me is less than my max off the floor.

ya me too...for some reason i though that since there was less travel I could lift more weight with rack pulls below the knee-mid shin...

theBarzeen
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I've never seen anyone with a lower rack pull than a full deadlift....?????.... weird

I'm mid 600's from the floor, but I'll pull 950+ from mid-knee.....

douglasoh5
01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
barzeen im sure ur huge difference has to do with the trex arms.

As far as rack pulls my deadlift is up 200lbs in 2 1/2 years and id bet 70% of my dl work is out of a rack from various holes with either straight weight or quaded minis. So work the rack nigas

C-Sobrino
01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Whatever I can pull for my knees Im going to pull it from the floor come meet time... at least for now. I haven't reached a point where the rack pull reaches diminishing returns.

MarcusWild
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
OK. My 3" deficit PR is 605 and my 4" block PR is 635. That's just stupid.

Bergs
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I can pull 650 from the floor... 635 from mid-shin... 675 from lower part of knee cap and 745 from top part of knee cap. I think I went up above 8 from lower thigh a long time ago, but never really saw the point.

If you pull less from mid shin or so than you do full range, you probably use a lot of leg drive and not much back. I know pulling 2-4 inches off the floor is harder for me, because I use a ton of leg drive, and am not able to get my legs in the pull well.
I'm going to go ahead and agree with this, which is why I'm adding a lot more back work into my routine.

NickAus
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
No offense meant at all but this "diminishing returns" thing makes little sense.

I know Louie has mentions it so everyone talks about it but I really don't understand, rack pulls will make your back, glutes and grip really strong.

The carryover must be at least as good as goodmornings or GHR?

Again no offense meant.

NickAus
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
OK. My 3" deficit PR is 605 and my 4" block PR is 635. That's just stupid.

Sounds good to me, wish I was the same.

SELK
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I pull more from a rack, even if the rack is on the lowest setting.

Ive used rack pulls successfully in the past actually this was my deadlift cycle to my first 661lbs pull:

w1: rack pin #3 - 5rm
w2: rack #3 - 2-3rm
w3: rack #2 - 5rm
w4: rack #2 - 2-3rm
w5: rack #1 - 5rm
w6: rack #1 - 1rm

I think pulls off of boxes are actually better (easier on your bar etc), but I didnt have any boxes.

douglasoh5
01-12-2010, 09:50 PM
nick a ghr is a good exercise but is no where near as good as an exercise as a rack pull or good morning.

SELK
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
No offense meant at all but this "diminishing returns" thing makes little sense.

I know Louie has mentions it so everyone talks about it but I really don't understand, rack pulls will make your back, glutes and grip really strong.

The carryover must be at least as good as goodmornings or GHR?

Again no offense meant.

Yeah of course the carryover will be better, but try rack pulling 2-3x per week and tell me how that works out haha :D

Rack pulls kill me in terms of recovery, worse then full range deads by far.

NickAus
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Yep I agree^

JSully
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I can pull 650 from the floor... 635 from mid-shin... 675 from lower part of knee cap and 745 from top part of knee cap. I think I went up above 8 from lower thigh a long time ago, but never really saw the point.

Yeah, this is me. I pull 650 off the floor, 7+ from the knee cap and 635 from below the knee. Haven't tried mid-shin in a while, but I'd guess I'm around 600 or so. I can't get my legs into it.. need more GMs and SLDL..

thanks guys!!

SEOINAGE
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Does anyone else get the bar stuck on their knee caps and the friction can cause miss lifts? I tend to have this problem even worse with rack pulls, because i get to the knee sooner and with less speed usually.

MarcusWild
01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Does anyone else get the bar stuck on their knee caps and the friction can cause miss lifts? I tend to have this problem even worse with rack pulls, because i get to the knee sooner and with less speed usually.

Yes! Apparently my knee caps stick out further than most. I'm going to start wearing shin guards. I need just a little clearance to not catch my knee.

AdamBAG
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
My training partners and I decided that rack pulls didn't really work for me because the leverages are a lot different than my pulls off the ground in a conventional stance. I get more of my height from my back and not my legs, so it's very difficult for me to get down to the bar conventional without some rounding. If I'm pulling out of the rack then my back stays arched due to the shorter ROM. So the form I'm using to pull bigger weights off the pins is not the form I use off the floor.

I still think boxes/pins are a good max effort exercise now and then, but for me they aren't the best way to train my pull. For me, using bands/chains was more effective because I had to start the pull from my normal set up and not the "optimal setup" that I could use for elevated pulling.

I've watched a lot of Rich's videos and his conventional off the ground and conventional off the pins really don't look much different. So for a guy like him his form replicates while rack pulling and therefore it helps his deadlift.