PDA

View Full Version : Timing of meals question...

WannaBeMuscley
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, so here's my question: I'm going to eat the following foods, mostly every day.

Bowl of Raisin Bran
Turkey Sandwich on 12-grain bread
1 Apple
168g of Protein in the Chocolate Protein Balls I make (and I could eat this in whatever portions you think)

I'm going to workout on this schedule:

Monday
6-10 - Yoga, Weights, 1:30 of Elliptical

Tuesday
12-2 - Weights and Elliptical
7-8 - Yoga

Wednesday
10:30-12 - Yoga
7-9 - Weights and Elliptical

Thursday
7:30-9 - Yoga

Friday

Saturday
9-1 - Yoga, Weights, Elliptical

Sunday

So, how do I time my meals? I read that I shouldn't eat carbs for 2 hours before my cardio. That my body already has an insulin spike after working out, so that's the best time to get carbs in my body without having an unnecessary insulin spike.

Also, upon occasion, I allow myself to have a super small portion of a food I crave. I'm literally talking a mouthful of whatever food I'd want. Would this be done best following a workout?

Thanks for any and all input. If the question is too exhaustive, and it is, please just impart whatever advice you can.

Thanks.

Off Road
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Weights every day...
Eliptical every day...
Minimal whole foods every day...

I see very little progress in your future :confused: Unless your whole goal is to loose weight?

WannaBeMuscley
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I'm looking to recomp.

I'm 280 (167 lean) and I'm looking to be 200 (180 lean).

AKMass
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2273757#post2273757

Look at all posts except 1, 4, and 8.

I'm not posting this to be a douche either. I just think you're focusing too much on details. To reiterate, get your daily protein in, and your daily calories, and everything will be fine. I think that's the best answer I can give you.

Once you get that down, you'll be ready for this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/eating-optimally-for-massive-size-and-strength/

WannaBeMuscley
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks, AKMass. But I was told very unclear advice about how much more protein to eat post workout. Should I be eating a quarter of my daily protein after a workout? Dude, I know I am over-thinking it, I just put in A LOT of effort and it sickens me to think that I may not be maximizing my effort. That's the only reason I want an idyllic plan.

Can anyone advise me about my one "cheat" "meal"? Would that be best after my workout?

tom183
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
^--I wouldn't have my cheat meal post workout and getting a quarter of your daily protein post workout isn't necessary.

RichMcGuire
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, so here's my question: I'm going to eat the following foods, mostly every day.

Bowl of Raisin Bran
Turkey Sandwich on 12-grain bread
1 Apple
168g of Protein in the Chocolate Protein Balls I make (and I could eat this in whatever portions you think)

I'm going to workout on this schedule:

Monday
6-10 - Yoga, Weights, 1:30 of Elliptical

Tuesday
7-8 - Yoga

Wednesday

Thursday
7:30-9 - Yoga

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

So, how do I time my meals? I read that I shouldn't eat carbs for 2 hours before my cardio. That my body already has an insulin spike after working out, so that's the best time to get carbs in my body without having an unnecessary insulin spike.

Also, upon occasion, I allow myself to have a super small portion of a food I crave. I'm literally talking a mouthful of whatever food I'd want. Would this be done best following a workout?

Thanks for any and all input. If the question is too exhaustive, and it is, please just impart whatever advice you can.

Thanks.

Yes, training does increase your insulin sensitivity which causes glucose to be shuttled toward muscle and away from fat. So if you truly are going to set up the plan the way you are, you would want to consume protein + carbs after your training.

You train every day though. Thats not a good idea. The only option you really have is to consume protein + fat + carbs for your first meal and then protein + carbs post training. All other meals might be just protein + fat. One of my favorite meals for this is chicken breast with green beans with a dash of olive oil.

About your cheat meal, I would personally get a whole new plan all together. But once again, if you are going to do this, then have an entire cheat meal once a week after training or earlier in the day. Thats about the best I can do for you with the plan you have though.

AKMass
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks, AKMass. But I was told very unclear advice about how much more protein to eat post workout. Should I be eating a quarter of my daily protein after a workout? Dude, I know I am over-thinking it, I just put in A LOT of effort and it sickens me to think that I may not be maximizing my effort. That's the only reason I want an idyllic plan.

Can anyone advise me about my one "cheat" "meal"? Would that be best after my workout?

I understand. It's just very hard to stick to something when you're focusing so much on the details at the very beginning. Usually it leads to frustration, and eventually giving up.

Anyways, post workout, I'd say a quarter of your daily protein is great. Honestly it probably doesn't even matter though. There is an ongoing debate about how much protein can be absorbed by the body in one sitting (some say 25-30 grams). Personally, I eat 15-20% of my daily protein post-workout. I can say that it has worked well for me. But there was also a time in my life when I didn't even eat a post workout meal. :omg:

I still made gains, just not quite as fast.

WannaBeMuscley
01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I appreciate all the posts. I'm sorry but can I get someone's opinion on the best time to have that "cheat" "meal"? Earlier in the day, before my workout, after my workout? That's probably my main question.

WannaBeMuscley
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Just noticed this:

But once again, if you are going to do this, then have an entire cheat meal once a week after training or earlier in the day. Thats about the best I can do for you with the plan you have though.

Thanks.