PDA

View Full Version : squat plateau

gmen5681
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
so i have plateaued on my squat. i have been doing starting strength for about 3 months now and my dead lift, bench and oh press are still going up nicely but my squat has stopped. so now i don't really know what to do. should i stop equating for a week, should i move on to a different movement like good mornings, or should i lower the weight by 20 pounds and try to start over?

theBarzeen
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM
raw? equipped? How much experience?

Sean S
01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
If you are doing Starting Strength and your others lifts are still moving, drop the weight and work back up over a few weeks. I'm assuming you're a relative beginner if you are using Starting Strength, so you should use the program until you have reset your lifts several times and aren't making progress week to week.

gmen5681
01-12-2010, 08:04 PM
i lift raw. i would classify myself as an experienced beginner, if that makes sense at all. i have been lifting since i was a teen, but never seriously. and with my job that i have it has been difficult to really stick to a routine the past 2 years, so i felt i just needed to start all over hence me doing starting strength. so when you say reset my squats i assume you mean drop weight and move forward again, but how much should i go down? my 1RM is about 315. i use 245 when doing my 3X5. but lately its been feeling heavy and i dropped down to 225 this last workout and that felt alright but it was depressing. just trying to get more opinions. thanks

Sean S
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Also make sure all your recovery factors are up to par (sleep, diet, stress, etc...). You may also need to gain more weight to get your SQ moving again depending on how big you are. If you continue to stall, you might consider transitioning to the Texas method as this is typically used after Starting Strength once you reach a more intermediate level.
Remember if you've made good progress with this routine you should try and tweak things when you stall and not completely overhaul things since you are still making progress with your other lifts.

sandcracker21
01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
drop the weight and build it back up...TRUST ME! you want to stay on s.s. as long as possible. its a great routine a