PDA

View Full Version : Box Squats or Free squats

BoAnderson71
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Assuming one is using correct form on both lifts which one is easier on the lower back (In terms of injury not muscle growth)

ScottYard
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I would say free squats. The sitting on the box is def going to put more strain directly on your spine.

TXslapshot
01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I was always told not to sit on the box but when i feel the beginning of the cushion to explode up. Then again we use a pretty low box with a cushion on it so you never actually sit down.

douglasoh5
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
ya the free squats are easier on the back, but do build it better than a free squat.

cpa5oh
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
ya the free squats are easier on the back, but do build it better than a free squat.

Did you mean to say that box squats build your squat better than free squats? That's interesting.

SEOINAGE
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I was always told not to sit on the box but when i feel the beginning of the cushion to explode up. Then again we use a pretty low box with a cushion on it so you never actually sit down.

I don't think that is the correct way, pretty sure you want to get down on the box then explode back up, you should break the eccentric concentric chain briefly but not sit on the box long enough to compress your spine.

Basically just going till you know its there is practically same as doing a regular squat but using it to check your depth, and you won't get all the advantages of even doing a box squat.

mastermonster
01-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Very similar with me. I never de-load to the box. I never alter my meet squat technique at all on box squats. I use the box for only 2 reasons. To make me keep the concept of sitting back (I start losing that quickly when I leave the box), and to imprint in my mind where exact depth is felt during the decent. If you do them to depth each set week after week you imprint what the right feel for depth is to explode up. If I come off of the box the week or two before the meet I find that the depth by itself is enough to cause the 'trigger' without feeling the box too. After the meet I go right back to the box. Done this way they are no more dangerous to your lower back than free squats.

Fuzzy
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM

The idea (someone correct me on this) is to actually release the hip flexors momentarily before shooting back up, this requires you to place your weight on the box.

douglasoh5
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Did you mean to say that box squats build your squat better than free squats? That's interesting.

yes a box squat will build your back better than a free squat imo