PDA

View Full Version : Skwats

Painzer
01-13-2010, 01:23 AM
and deads... Just starting to DL sumo, any advice is appreciated.

Skwats 275 x 10, 275 x 15 to 8 inch box

hReaCF-vbTA

Deads

R-awB1_wGA8

DavyRen
01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Not much advice I can give you but your looking great, comfortable and :strong: and I especially like your litle 8 inch green box ;)

skinny99
01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Amazing squats dude! Very impressive. Something looks weird on your deads though. I think you are losing some power,you are stronger than those pulls. When you setup and start your pull it doesn't look like you get "tight" and locked in. Maybe one of the pros will chime in!

Painzer
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Not much advice I can give you but your looking great, comfortable and :strong: and I especially like your litle 8 inch green box ;)

Gotta love aerobic step boxes... The plyo boxes are too tall! haha

DavyRen
01-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Gotta love aerobic step boxes... The plyo boxes are too tall! haha
Think i'll get myself one for my garage (gym)

KGM
01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Agree with skinny99. Very nice squats. You could probably be tighter on the deads, but your butt needs to stay down/back. Look how high your hips went on the sumo miss. Hips back, chest up. Take my comments in stride since I am just a beginner :) I would also like to hear what the pros have to say on your form.

-JM-
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
You are lifting everything with your lower back. If you want to dip your hips then keep them down until at least the bar is moving. You dont have to get your hips so low. Your ass gets back to where it started before the weights break the floor anyway. You are stronger than those attempts though.

This is a good article.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strong_deadlifts.htm

Sean S
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Try to find your optimal hip position with the sumo pull so the bar comes off the floor as soon as the hips start moving up. It looks like your hips aren't strong enough to get the bar moving from the low position so they pop up to a position where they can move the load. It's the same principle behind the fact that you can 1/4 squat more than you can full squat. I would also get some shoes to do the sumo pulls in. You should be pushing out on a sumo DL and I would be sliding all over the place if I tried to do that in stocking feet. Some Chuck Taylor's or wrestling shoes would do the trick (to squishy athletic shoes). Here's what I would advise:
1) Find the optimal hip position for your leverages (probably not super high or super low).
2) Practice doing sumo pulls correctly with submax weights. If you increase the weight and your form breaks down, drop the weight back until you do it correctly.
3) Get some appropriate footware.

Painzer
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Can any pros give me any insight on the deadlift? People are telling me that I'm stronger than those pulls but can't tell me why.

Sean, I appreciate the insight, but I can't practice good form unless I know what it is.

T o m m Y
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Did you read Flynn's post,thats a great read..
After reading that awhile back i went into the gym and my pulls felt a hell of alot stronger then when i was trying to get my hips low like you seem to be doing in your vid..I have been hitting deadlift pr's like crazy now..Give it a try bro.

Painzer
01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I did read Flynn's post. And I read the article. I had read it multiple times before. I'm not sure how keeping your hips higher takes more lower back out of the equation...

When I keep my hips higher I feel like that's when I pull with my back... isn't that why my hips fly at the beginning?

Sean S
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I guess in boils down to whether you are trying to pull the most you possibly can or are you trying to get your hips to do more work. If your goal is to have the biggest sumo pull you can right now, start with your hips higher. Right now you are trying to get your hips lower, but they are "finding" where the natural leverage is the best before the bar leaves the floor anyway. This means that your hips popping up before the bar leaves the ground is just wasted motion and inefficient. As long you as maintain the arch in your back and aren't injuring your back I don't think it's a big deal if your hips are higher. So look at the video and see where your hips are when the bar leaves the floor and try to get into that position when you start your pull.
Conversely, if you are using this as assistance work and your primary goal is to strengthen your glutes and hamstrings out of the bottom position then work on keeping your hips lower. Drop the weight back to where you can keep your hips lower and still get the weight moving off the floor.
So your optimal hip position really depends on your goals and what exactly you are trying to accomplish with the sumo pulls.

Painzer
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok, Thanks Sean. That helps.

Guido
01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Damn, that is a low-ass box, man! Nice work. You do have more in you. You are using too much backs on deads, though, as others mentioned.