PDA

View Full Version : APF Best of the Best in the Midwest

Beverly McD.
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Al Caslow is having this meet in Kansas on Feb. 6. I saw on PLW that Ryano is training for it. Anyone else going?

theBarzeen
01-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm 90% sure I'm going....... that 10% is just me having to fight the wife....... Even though I usually compete tested this sounds like too much fun to miss out on........

Ryano
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
....... that 10% is just me having to fight the wife.......

I assume you are bigger than your wife, so I would suggest "ground & pound"! You'll get to Kansas fer sure. J/K LOL

Sent my entry in today. The block of rooms at the Crown Plaza is booked full, but they still have rooms available. I would reserve them now, if that's where you plan to stay.

MarcusWild
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm in. I thought I was going to have to cancel after Saturday. A plate flew of the reverse hyper and hit me in the ankle. It hit the inside though. I tested it last night, and it'll be OK.

Beverly McD.
01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I assume you are bigger than your wife, so I would suggest "ground & pound"! You'll get to Kansas fer sure. J/K LOL

Sent my entry in today. The block of rooms at the Crown Plaza is booked full, but they still have rooms available. I would reserve them now, if that's where you plan to stay.

Saw your bench video :thumbup: Really looked good.
I think you may be right Roger, Mike and I better start the trip early! We were planning on driving up in one day, but we've decided to make it a two day drive instead, and keep the driving to daylight hours only. We're not used to driving in ice/snow.

theBarzeen
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

hmm......

it looks like it'll be a go..... entry form will get mailed in tomorrow...... no fist fighting needed

Rob Luyando
01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I booked my room's you can get them cheaper then the reserved block. I will be there to handle Roger "Pops" Ryan regardless what PLW has to say. Don't call it a comeback.

Travis Bell
01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
I booked my room's you can get them cheaper then the reserved block. I will be there to handle Roger "Pops" Ryan regardless what PLW has to say. Don't call it a comeback.

Good luck to Roger and yourself! I mean at whatever meet you choose to compete at

MarcusWild
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Rob is right about the rooms. Thursday was a few dollars more, but Fri and Sat were quite a bit cheaper.

Rob Luyando
01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Rob is right about the rooms. Thursday was a few dollars more, but Fri and Sat were quite a bit cheaper.

You say that like I would steer someone astray. LOL!

MarcusWild
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Haha, it wasn't that. I was just surprised at how much cheaper it was.

Sean Hatley
01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Looks like we are gonna have a good meet

Best of the Best in the Midwest Confirmations

Male

Open

Name Wt. Class Team Division
Peter Deblank 148 None Full Power

Mick Manley 181 BIG Full Power
Thomas Krawiec 181 None Full Power
Josh Wilson 181 Society of Strength Full Power

Jesse Noell 198 Society of Strength Full Power
Courtney Myers 198 None Push-Pull
Jason Nguyen 198 None Bench Only
Michael Cartinian 198 BIG Full Power
Putt Houston 198 None Full Power

Shawn Frankl 220 BIG Full Power
Matthew Gottsch 220 BIG Full Power
Chris Linsner 220 None Push-Pull

Kevin Rekowski 242 1-0-7 Barbell Full Power
Sean Hatley 242 Society of Strength Full Power
Joshua Leon 242 None Full Power
Adam Weaver 242 1-0-7 Barbell Full Power
Jeff Badker 242 North Iowa Powerlifting Push-Pull
Marcus Wild 242 None Full Power
Mario Ochoa 242 North Iowa Powerlifting Full Power
Jake Cook 242 BIG Full Power
Jake Prazak 242 North Iowa Powerlifting Bench Only
Mike Taylor 242 BIG Full Power
Thomas Jacobs 242 None Full Power

Brian Carroll 275 Samson Full Power
Zdenek Voprada 275 None Bench Only
Demetrius Davis 275 None Full Power
Matt Brown 275 None Full Power

Jay Ragalie 308 None Push-Pull
Barzeen Vaziri 308 None Full Power

Master

Tim Towers 181 None Full Power

Dennis Henson 198 BIG Push-Pull

Rod Baur 220 BIG Full Power
Bob Zykan 220 None Full Power
Stanley Tomaszkiewicz 220 None Bench Only
Dale Schmidtke 220 North Iowa Powerlifting Bench Only
John Berding 220 North Iowa Powerlifting Bench Only

Bruce Mccrod 242 None Bench Only
Dick Zenzen 242 None Full Power
John Falcon 242 Society of Strength Full Power

Jeffrey Anderson 275 BIG Bench Only

Roger Ryan 308 None Bench Only

Scott Nutter SHW None Bench Only

Junior

Zach Henson 181 BIG Full Power
Gabe Falcon 181 Society of Strength Full Power

Eric Leitman 220 None Full Power

AJ Hesser SHW None Full Power
Logan Lacy SHW None Full Power

Female

Open

Krystal Cary 181 BIG Full Power

Master

Rita Carlsson 132 BIG Full Power

Beverly McD.
01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the update Sean. That's an impressive group of lifters!

Rob Luyando
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
**** it I am in!

vdizenzo
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
**** it I am in!

Sweet! That's what I wanted to hear.

Best of luck to everyone.

Beverly McD.
02-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Good luck to everybody, both the lifters and the coaches.
If you get a chance please introduce yourself to me. Gives me a chance to put a face to a name :hello:
I'll be the old gal on the platform with the southern drawl ;).

Rob Luyando
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Good luck to everybody, both the lifters and the coaches.
If you get a chance please introduce yourself to me. Gives me a chance to put a face to a name :hello:
I'll be the old gal on the platform with the southern drawl ;).

I'll be bald guy almost as sexy as Vincent with the cop stache........lol

KarstenDD
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM

No one is almost as sexy as Vincent. Not even Sexasaurus Rex.

BloodandThunder
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice roster with some big names. Nice to see some teams lifting too.

Beverly McD.
02-03-2010, 05:57 AM

LMAO!!! A bald guy with a mustache at a PL meet...!:hello:

Sean Hatley
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
242's have 14 Full Power lifters

theBarzeen
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Im heading down friday morning...... with any luck I'll squat as much as Rob benches......

MarcusWild
02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
242's have 14 Full Power lifters

That'll be fun. I'm getting anxious. I hate the period of not training before a meet. Will there be a scale at the hotel on Thursday? I'd like to be able to check my weight, but my one at home is glass. No way I'm trusting the airline to not break it.

Sean Hatley
02-04-2010, 05:56 AM
I dont have an answer to that question Marcus. You would have to ask Al.

Rob Luyando
02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Big props to Al Caslow meet hotel is kick ass! I have a certified scale in my room if anyone needs to check there weight. I am right on track to make a weight class.

gatorman2k6
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Big props to Al Caslow meet hotel is kick ass! I have a certified scale in my room if anyone needs to check there weight. I am right on track to make a weight class.

Rob, I can't wait to see what you hit. Now remember, you promised video and I will be excitedly waiting to watch it. Good luck!

EmptyBarbell
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I'd remember Brian Carroll.....I've seen his recent training....I definitely would expect for him to add to his total......definitely a great competitor and overall great guy as well.:eek:

Fitness
02-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Haha, it wasn't that. I was just surprised at how much cheaper it was.

Priest
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
any word on the results

gatorman2k6
02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
any word on the results

Lots of bombs, but from what I've read, judging was fair and consistent. Frankl, Carnitien(sp?), Carroll, and Luyando all bombed. I think a teen named Logan Lacy got best lifter with something like a 2400-2500 lbs total. Supposedly the place was packed, but I would think someone from here went/competed so hopefully they'll post with their thoughts.

Rob Luyando
02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Frankle got his opener on squat and pulled out of meet do to injury.

Sean Hatley
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Meet was packed. 63 lifters i believe is what Al said. It was an awesome meet. Cant wait till next years meet.

MarcusWild
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I just want to say thanks to those that judged and spotted. I know some people said the judging was strict. I thought it was right on and consistent all day. The spotters did an amazing job of keeping everyone safe.

The place was packed. Al is going to need a bigger venue next year, because I think this meet will only get bigger. I saw that he wants to work with Lexen so next year there's only one meet with everyone there. That'd be pretty cool.

Beverly McD.
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for coming to the meet Marcus! Glad you enjoyed the day. I know it takes a lot of work and a lot of money to hit a meet. There were some outstanding lifters at this one. They didn't all post a total Saturday. Most of them I've had on the platform before though, and I know what they're capable of...and it's impressive.
Hopefully Al will invite Mike and me back next year. Gregg Damminga too. First time I've ever judged with him and I thought he did a great job.
The spotters and loaders have the toughest job at a meet, and the guys Saturday did a fine job.

theBarzeen
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
The results are up on the sostrength.com page .....

good meet even with all of the setbacks Al had to work through.... judging was very strict but fair..... nothing borderline was given away, but judging was fair from the 200lb squatters to the 1000 lb squatters.... press calls were right on..... the atmosphere was good and positive and the venue was really nice........

the drive really sucked, but if I can convince my team to go again I'll be there next year.....

Sean Hatley
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
The Judges were awsome. Judging was fair and consistant all day.

Beverly McD.
02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I appreciate the positive remarks about the judging. I'll pass them on to Mike ( he gets very little time to visit the forums). Gregg will probably see them here himself.
Everybody I dealt with at the meet, lifters, coaches and spectators, were all great to work with and talk to. People jumped in at every opportunity to lend a hand when it was needed.
It's amazing how much useful information and training tips get passed around at a meet. Definitely one of the fringe benefits! :)