PDA

View Full Version : 7 weeks to train for a fight

McLaughlin
01-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a 3 round submission fight coming up on March 20 that I need to prepare for.

Here's about me:
5'7 ,, 200lb ,, bit of a gut ,, WEAK cardio

I wrestled 8th-12th grade when I was in school, but it's been about 6 years since then. I've been lifting off and on since summer 2008, but haven't for the last 3 months, since my wife was diagnosed with cancer.

I'm looking for a program to follow, to get me in the best shape possible in 7 weeks, I want to see what are your ideas. I've been thinking of going with the "West Side for Skinny Bastards", but wanted to get some input.

Thanks for any kid of tips or advice you guys can offer.

Oh and I do have a membership to Gold's gym. They've got weights, cardio maachines, and a pool. No track.

DMedley
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a 3 round submission fight coming up on March 20 that I need to prepare for.

Here's about me:
5'7 ,, 200lb ,, bit of a gut ,, WEAK cardio

A three round submission fight is extremely taxing on the Cardiovascular conditioning, so you really need to begin there.

You did not say what weight class you will be competing in so it would be very hard to give specifics. Keep in mind that lack of cardio loses more fights than lack of strength.

Off Road
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Keep in mind that lack of cardio loses more fights than lack of strength.

I'm not a fighter but that makes sense to me.

john o
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
A three round submission fight is extremely taxing on the Cardiovascular conditioning, so you really need to begin there.

You did not say what weight class you will be competing in so it would be very hard to give specifics. Keep in mind that lack of cardio loses more fights than lack of strength.

Spot on. Bodies adjust differently to cutting as well. If I dropped too quickly for I fight I was weak
And exhausted. Couture has a barbell complex workout you can probably Google that might
Be what you are looking for. We'll need more specificity to completely answer the question.

This is straight submission and not mma?

McLaughlin
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your advice.

I'm ~200 and will need to be at 185 for the fight.

Spot on. Bodies adjust differently to cutting as well. If I dropped too quickly for I fight I was weak
And exhausted. Couture has a barbell complex workout you can probably Google that might
Be what you are looking for. We'll need more specificity to completely answer the question.

This is straight submission and not mma?

Straight submission, no striking/kicking.

grabs, holds, throws, etc

Insane
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
be prepared to do 5 rounds .. and 3 should be easy :)

how much time for each round

Astreocclu
01-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Whatever type of fight it is, the two most important things are techinque and cardio conditiong. Id suggest wrestling (if thats what you call it) often, maybe 5-6 days a week, but have two different types of sessions, one where you focus primarily on techique and one where you just wrestle really hard. The good thing about wrestling is that the best way to imrove ones endurance at it is simply to do it. Or you can practice techique and go really hard at the endof the practice, just make sure you arent fatigued when praticing your techinque

slashkills
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I would follow ws4sbIII because it will probably produce the fastest results. Lay off the speed and jump work though. Stop weightling a week before the match. Im assuming you go some where to train submission wrestling or grappling. If you have a good coach he will cordinate all of your wrestling work untill the match. I would wrestle 3-4 times per week for 2ish hours per day. Weight training on off days or after your training. Wrestling should be your focus so if your tired one day use your energy on the mat and skip the lifting for the day.

For conditioning i would up all of the reps on the assistance work in ws4sbIII. Im pretty sure Joe recommends sets of 8-12 per lift. I would up that to 15reps of 4 sets. Do super sets and barbell complexes. Your wrestling training will build a good bit of endurance as well.

hope that helps

AnotherNumber
01-14-2010, 09:32 PM
You should try crossfit programming. I think the metabolic conditioning would do wonders for your cardio in seven months, and there is enough prescribed ME lifting to stay strong.

StLRPh
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I'd suggest grappling with partners as much as possible. Have them rotate so that they are fresher than you are.

Are the weigh-ins same day? how long are the rounds? I'm assuming no-gi, is that right?

aormz
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Do Infinite Intensity by Ross Enimate , the Program will have your cardio/conditioning on a new level. It's designed for fighters and the first phase is only 40 days long (6 weeks) . I'm telling you the program is very effective.

www.rosstraining.com