PDA

View Full Version : Could this work?

muscle_g
01-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm wanting to start doing some Westside methods and was wondering if this split might could work

Mon- ME SQ/DE DL
Tue- ME Bench
Thu- DE SQ/ME DL
Fri- DE Bench

thanks guys:)

Sean S
01-15-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not a big fan of doing ME work on back to back days. A long time ago I did that for a while and it worked OK, but I got better results when I changed so my ME days weren't back to back days I think your split could work fine, it just may not be optimal.

muscle_g
01-15-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not a big fan of doing ME work on back to back days. A long time ago I did that for a while and it worked OK, but I got better results when I changed so my ME days weren't back to back days I think your split could work fine, it just may not be optimal.

Yea I have read that it's not really good to have them back to back. My work schedule during the week is crazy though and these are the best days for me to get to the gym.

AdamBAG
01-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes, it could work, but I think rearranging the days would be a better idea. If you have to train MTThF, then I would do this:

M - Max Effort Bench
Tu - Max Effort Lower
Th - Dynamic Bench
F - Dynamic Effort Lower

I suggest this because you aren't going to feel like benching heavy the day after squatting/pulling heavy. You just won't. It's much easier to bench heavy on day 1 and then do a heavy lower body workout on day 2 in my experience.

I'm also not crazy about the squatting twice a week every week like your template suggests. What my training partners and I have been doing, and I think this is similar to what WSB often does now, is that max effort lower day is usually a deadlift or a good morning with a specialty bar squat mixed in less often. Then you do some type of squat assistance on that day. Then on the dynamic squat day you can work up heavier more often in your gear and do a deadlift assistance exercise afterwards like speed pulls, romanians, etc.

What I'm getting at is that you are essentially saying that you are going to deadlift twice a week every week. I don't think that will work for very long. Personally, I would become psycologically burnt out having to pull that often. Rotating in some GMs or squats (less often) will keep you from burning out.

There was a good post by AJ Roberts, I believe it was on Outlaws, where he says that they squat much less often on max effort day than in the past and save the squatting for the DE day and work up more often. I found this interesting because this is essentially what my group at BAG found to work and also more or less what is done at Diablo Barbell (except they have a squat day and a pull day more or less).

What you are suggesting is that you will squat twice a week and pull twice a week. If it was me, I would not try this. Of course this is only my opinion, I obviously may be wrong.

What you outlined may work great for you. The only way to know is to try it.

drew
01-15-2010, 07:26 AM
If you are going to do ME back to back, you might want to do bench on the first day and squat on the second. Your shoulders will be fatigued from squatting and negatively affect your bench. Benching first won't have as much of an impact on your squat.

muscle_g
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Yes, it could work, but I think rearranging the days would be a better idea. If you have to train MTThF, then I would do this:

M - Max Effort Bench
Tu - Max Effort Lower
Th - Dynamic Bench
F - Dynamic Effort Lower

I suggest this because you aren't going to feel like benching heavy the day after squatting/pulling heavy. You just won't. It's much easier to bench heavy on day 1 and then do a heavy lower body workout on day 2 in my experience.

I'm also not crazy about the squatting twice a week every week like your template suggests. What my training partners and I have been doing, and I think this is similar to what WSB often does now, is that max effort lower day is usually a deadlift or a good morning with a specialty bar squat mixed in less often. Then you do some type of squat assistance on that day. Then on the dynamic squat day you can work up heavier more often in your gear and do a deadlift assistance exercise afterwards like speed pulls, romanians, etc.

What I'm getting at is that you are essentially saying that you are going to deadlift twice a week every week. I don't think that will work for very long. Personally, I would become psycologically burnt out having to pull that often. Rotating in some GMs or squats (less often) will keep you from burning out.

There was a good post by AJ Roberts, I believe it was on Outlaws, where he says that they squat much less often on max effort day than in the past and save the squatting for the DE day and work up more often. I found this interesting because this is essentially what my group at BAG found to work and also more or less what is done at Diablo Barbell (except they have a squat day and a pull day more or less).

What you are suggesting is that you will squat twice a week and pull twice a week. If it was me, I would not try this. Of course this is only my opinion, I obviously may be wrong.

What you outlined may work great for you. The only way to know is to try it.

OK I see what your saying, would it be better to rotate speed squats in one week and speed Pulls the next on DE day? Like say this

one week do this
ME day- Squat movement
DE day- Speed Pull

then the next week
ME day- Deadlift movement
DE day- Speed Squat

or maybe just have a squat day and deadlift day?

If you are going to do ME back to back, you might want to do bench on the first day and squat on the second. Your shoulders will be fatigued from squatting and negatively affect your bench. Benching first won't have as much of an impact on your squat.

Yes I was thinking of this also because I'm always tired and don't feel like benching heavy after most of my squat days.

SEOINAGE
01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
M-ME Squat/DL
T-DE Bench
TR-DE Squat/DL
F-ME bench

ME S/DL you pick one exercise for the ME, so could be a squat variation one week or deadlift the next, it could depend, lately I alternate soemwhat, whereas previous I did a lot more squatting. If you can work out other days like a saturday you can change this routine up even more. Or you can change the days you do what and still not do ME sessions back to back.

JSully
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
M-ME Squat/DL
T-DE Bench
TR-DE Squat/DL
F-ME bench

ME S/DL you pick one exercise for the ME, so could be a squat variation one week or deadlift the next, it could depend, lately I alternate soemwhat, whereas previous I did a lot more squatting. If you can work out other days like a saturday you can change this routine up even more. Or you can change the days you do what and still not do ME sessions back to back.

I like this.

MarcusWild
01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I used to train on those days. It was:

Mon: DE bench
Tue: ME lower
Thr: ME bench
Fri: DE lower

Doing DE lower after ME bench sucked. It honestly sucked overall trying to cram all that training into 5 days. As I got stronger my recovery wasn't very good.

I think this recommendation is best:
M-ME Squat/DL
T-DE Bench
TR-DE Squat/DL
F-ME bench

If your work schedule during the week is crazy, wouldn't the weekend be a better time to train?

muscle_g
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I think this recommendation is best:
M-ME Squat/DL
T-DE Bench
TR-DE Squat/DL
F-ME bench

If your work schedule during the week is crazy, wouldn't the weekend be a better time to train?

I think I'm gonna go with this.

I would train on the weekends, but the gym closes at 3pm on Saturday and I always work on Saturday until about 2-4pm, so that's out. And I aint going to the gym on Sunday's because I go to church and do stuff with the family.

muscle_g
01-16-2010, 06:58 AM
M-ME Squat/DL
T-DE Bench
TR-DE Squat/DL
F-ME bench

Thanks for the help everyone(that's why I love this forum, because there is so many strong and knowledgeable lifters here). I'm gonna go with this template for awhile and see how it goes.